Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
outlet ducting >

outlet ducting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

outlet ducting

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlet ducting

Good evening guys I am building a Regal Eagle and have a question about the outlet ducting I tried to make one with out much luck how important is the flow on this aircraft?
Any info would very helpful Thanks Mike
Old 11-19-2002, 03:48 AM

Default outlet ducting

I guess I wasn't to clear with my question the duct that I made has some ruff areas, How much will this affect the air flow? and is it that critical.
Thanks again Mike
Old 11-19-2002, 06:24 AM

Default outlet ducting

HI Mike I have built one a few months back it might help if you tell us if you are using molded tail cone ? it is always important to keep the flow of air through the ducting as clean as possable. and with out seeing a picture , it is hard to see how critical it is. Or where the problem lives. I made a thrust tube out of fiber glass 8" long and I use litho plate and roll it ,and fit and glue it in place. clean, neat and light. Where in central ca.are you?
Old 11-20-2002, 04:01 AM

Default outlet ducting

Hi yes I am using a molded tail cone I used a old fan shroud for the start and used cardboard to shape the tail cone. I don't have a camera for any pic. Is there a better way to make a tail pipe? If there is I am willing to try, I live in Manteca, just south of Stockton.
Thank Mike
Old 11-20-2002, 04:30 AM

Default outlet ducting

What did you make the duct out of ? Do you have a plastics store near you ? If you cant use litho plate then you should try to use a 30 ml. thick plastic and roll it into a tube and glue it in place.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:03 AM

Default outlet ducting

I made the duct out of 1.5 oz glass cloth there alot of warps and bubbles in it. If i use the plastic should you make the tube smaller toward the cone? or try to flaten it out to fit the cone better?
Thanks Mike
Old 11-20-2002, 05:37 AM

Default outlet ducting

1.5oz cloth is way too thin. This is one of the reasons why it warps - a thicker cloth is stiffer. I used at least 6oz cloth, and glass resin for my thrust tube. If you roll the plastic up, stick it in the plane from the back end, it will be round at the shroud end but as you unroll it and fit it it will turn oval shaped towards the rear. It will appear to be too large at the rear, but when you change shape from round to oval, to conform to the rear rectangle, you would tack it to the edges and let some hang out the end about one inch and a half or so. This is where your tail cone slips over when you trim what hangs out, and glue the tail cone to the ducting and double the back plate with balsa. Make your seam overlap on the top about half an inch and this is where you glue the entire seam. The end result should be one smooth duct, from shroud or thrust tube to oval shaped tailcone.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:52 AM

Default outlet ducting

Thanks again Eaglestrike1 for all the info.
Mike