Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lightning pictures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Lightning pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:03 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Lightning pictures

Gary Thanks for the info. 8-10 minutes like my King Cat will be enough. Dan Avilla
ORIGINAL: Gary Jefferson

Dan,
I was concerned about the same issue with the fuel consumption until I spoke to Bob at Jetcat. He told me that pound for pound the fuel consumption will be about the same or maybe a little better than a Titan. Not sure why but if I were to guess I would say lower rpms for the same power output as a lower thrust class turbine. So whatever the reason if you are not going to dial the P-180 all the way up then you may not need the extra tank unless you want really long flights.

I think I estimated about 16 minutes on a Titan so even if you use all
45 lbs for takeoff when the plane is the heaviest, you are surely not going to fly at full throttle during flight. Therefore consumption should be fairly close to the Titan and I am estimating 12 minutes in the air for mine with the P-180 using only the main tanks (no header except the UAT), since my extra kevlar tank is for smoke. I am personally usually ready to land at about 8-10 minutes. This is almost identical to my Kingcat which I was very happy with for allowed flight time.

As far as some people waiting on gear and others getting their gear very quickly, I really think it depends on when you place your order during their production cycle. I waited about three weeks myself but I know some got theirs quickly and others waited longer. If you placed your order just before they were shipped to the U.S. then you probably didn't have to wait very long to receive them.

I think that as you can see from this thread though that there is a lot of demand for this plane and maybe they are just having a difficult time keeping up with demand. Like Steve said, it really is worth the wait because they are very nice gear, especially for the price.

A friend of mine is actually looking at purchasing a set of Robart gear to use with the Lightning and he is going to have them shipped to me because he lives outside the states. Maybe he will chime in here and let us know what model they are because I do not remember. When they arrive I would be glad to take some measurements and post them as long he is ok with me opening the box and measuring them. Gary
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
DavidQ
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered my from Ray early December and the gears arrived in 3 weeks. The Jolly Roger is still out there somewhere in the Pacific...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:23 AM
rplabonte

I wanted to chime in regarding concern for landing gear, cockpit kits etc. which may have been a bit slow getting into the hands of Lightning customers. Interest in the Lightning has been very high since I flew my prototype airplane at the Liberty Bell Event back in early August. Given it takes six - eight weeks to get the airplanes from the factory in Thailand to a customer here in the US Composite-Arf shipped a few kits before a cockpit was completed for the airplane. We are currently arranging to get these early customers there missing cockpit kits. All Lightning customers that have taken delivery of there kit which may be missing this or any other part should contact their Sales Rep. or myself to make certain that we have your information. I will arrange to have these items shipped ASAP. In addition to being one of the five US Sales Rep. working with Composite-Arf I also manage the spare parts support and accessory items for the product line. I received yesterday a shipment of landing gear for the Lightning, all backorders have been satisfied. We currently have in stock plenty of Lightning retract kits to accompany all airplanes in stock plus those currently en-route. Our most recent shipment of spare parts included optional fuel tanks, brake valves, retract valves and airframe parts. I'm happy to say that we're catching up with demand and in most cases am now establishing a reserve supply of parts for the airplane. We are currently arranging for an EMS (air freight) shipment of spare parts to fill any voids which we need to address.
As for my prototype Lightning which I received in mid June and test flew on July 14. The airplane has been flown 103 flights with great reliability. I've not flown the airplane since the Maine Jet Rally simply because I've been very busy moving my business and now winter has settled into Maine. The airplane was a true workhorse during the couple of months I had to learn the airplane. I am extremely pleased with it's reliability and performance using a JetCat P-160 set at the Titan limits. I plan to build a second airplane which I will paint myself (I really enjoy the finish work) using a P-180 for power. In my humble opinion the P-160/Titan is perfect for this airplane but like all of us I can not resist the urge to crank it up a bit. I'm looking forward to flying the airplane at Florida Jets and plan to have a buddy box available for the airplane.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Alexdu
My Feedback: (3)

Hi. I have a set of Kingcat gear and would like to know if they can be fitted on the Lightning? It would save me a some cash.

Thanks

Alex