Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Do you operate your jet off a grass field?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Do you operate your jet off a grass field?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 01:45 AM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you operate your jet off a grass field?

Logged on to RCU and saw the ad for a free Kangaroo if you buy an engine. Made me wonder if maybe I could get started in jets. The cost looked good but I'm forced to use a 400' grass runway.

Looking for some advice on this subject. Can the 'Roo handle this runway? If not, is there a jet out there that would?

Thanks very much. JD
Old 12-20-2002, 02:22 AM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

If you have good departure and arrival clearways it's not a problem. A combo with a bit of grunt helps. I fly my 19 lb Super Reaper off of 400ft of fairly rough grass on only 10 lbs of thrust. On landing, hit the numbers and I'm stopped in less than half the runway without brakes. A P80 /Kangaroo combo should be no problem. Go for it !!
Old 12-20-2002, 02:30 AM
DavidR

I fly a Bobcat with a P-120 and my Bandit with the same combination off a grass strip regularily. Both handle it well. I do occasionally break nose gear flex arms but that is to be expected. The biggest challenge you will have is landing. (Isn't it always!) You will want to go elsewhere for your first flights until you are comfortable with throttle management and approach speeds. 400' is considered a short field with jets and you will have to be on the numbers.

DR
Old 12-20-2002, 03:34 AM
fdavis

Default Roo on short field

I have flown about 25 flights off a 300-350 ft. smooth grass runway here in town with my 13-14 lb Roo (12lb turbine-Ram 500) with 2 ¾ inch wheels with no problems. However, I hate to think about what could happen if I have a flameout at the wrong time!

Usually, I drive 45 miles to a much better and longer field, where other jet pilots fly as well. Takeoffs are not a problem on the short field because you have so much lift, but as already mentioned, get lots of practice landing at a bigger field and then migrate home when you are confident that your landings and powerplant reliability are perfect.

A P-80 on a Roo would be a great combination. Try to keep it as light as possible so you can really slow down on landings. The speedbrake is very effective and important to use on the Roo. If you don't slow it enough, you will see why it is called a Kangaroo... you will hop down the runway.

Go for it!

Floyd
Old 12-20-2002, 01:39 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have flown approx. 300+ flights with my two kangaroo's off of our clubs grass runway(500 feet). I had some early problems with running out of room (18# roo with mercury) until I raised the nose gear approx. 1 in and shortenned the mains by 3/8". The problem was solved. The Roo will usually rotate in 200' with full up elevons and then it is a blast to fly. Before the turbine I flew ducted fans for 8 years off of the same field.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:16 PM
JDHammer

Wow, your replies and the survey result have given me alot of encouragement! The only turbine jets I have seen thus far have been in videos and they were all on blacktop-this result is very surprising.

This brings up one more question- are wheel brakes pretty much mandatory for jets or could you do without them when operating off a grass field?

Thanks for the replies, this may start a new addiction... I mean, adventure. JD
Old 12-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Dustflyer

Default Grass fields

I fly the JetCat P-80 powered HotSpot you see in my avatar off a grass field. The runway is 500' long, closely cropped and rolled.

Takeoffs are about 250 to 300 feet, setting brakes for spool-up and releasing when they start to slip.

Landings take 250 to 400 feet depending on how well I set up the approach. On my more typical sloppy ones around 350 to 400 feet is the norm.

Landing gear is Robart with BVM wheels and brakes.

One major advantage of grass is near zero tire wear. Another is the ability to land with the wheel brakes set, something I may elect to do more and more off grass. It doesn't wear down the wheels at all and makes for a nice short landing.

Wheel brakes are not absolutely necessary, but I would never try flying a jet without them even on grass. Without being able to set brakes for spool up your takeoff roll would be much longer. Landings have to be absolutely perfect to get stopped in 400 feet or less, I think I've only pulled it off once without brakes. Of course it is an AMA requirement to have brakes unless the airplane does not move at idle without them.

Here's a takeoff:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42042_257.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	26356  
Old 12-20-2002, 08:36 PM
Dustflyer

Default Landing

And a landing: