Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skyburner airbrake?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skyburner airbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 05:10 AM
Esure
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyburner airbrake?

Hi all,

I was wondering about the practicality of putting an airbrake on the Skyburner im building from the RCM plans. Is it worthwhile? Im not using retracts, so im not sure how much the gear alone would slow it down, but i was thinking about a bottom mounted airbrake around the CG. Its gonna have a K&B 82 paired with a dynamax for its oomph. I didnt think that flaps would work with looking at the positioning of the horizontal stab, thought that the disrupted airflow might be too much. Any input you guys have would be great.

Regards, and happy holidays,
Ed Schurr
Old 12-21-2002, 05:13 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't give you an opinion on using an airbrake. However, I flew a Skyburner XD-91 (the kit from Australia) last summer with flaps. They worked quite well, and without problems.

...jim
Old 12-21-2002, 01:03 PM
Jetman007
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too flew a Skyburner for a few seasons.

It could use some type of drag device to help slow it down. To keep it simple and light, why not consider using a nose gear door (ala BVM Bobcat style) instead of a separate speed brake and the added weight of the actuating system?

I saw Jim fly his Skyburner at MI Jets last year. Yep, flaps did the trick too!