Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hey SoCal Jet guys, anyone have time for a beer this weekend?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hey SoCal Jet guys, anyone have time for a beer this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:51 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey SoCal Jet guys, anyone have time for a beer this weekend?

Hi Guys,

I'm flying down to LA on Thursday, staying in Van Nuys, and flying back Sunday. The local University here in Vancouver is participating in a collegiate R/C aircraft design completion and they've asked me to pilot their entry. This'll be my 3rd year involved with the team. I've got a few evenings to kill so I thought I'd see if anyone would be interested in a Guinness or two to talk jets???

The competition is called SAE Aero Design West and its being held Friday through Sunday at Apollo II Field ([link=http://www.valleyflyers.com/default_flash.htm]San Fernando Valley R/C Flyers[/link]). The meet is essentially based on teams from each school designing and building an aircraft that's as light as possible, yet built to carry as much payload as possible and still complete a successful takeoff within 200ft, perform a single flight circuit, and land within 400ft without being damaged. There are a few different classes, more complicated rules and scoring structures, but that's the 'coles notes' version. From an R/C pilot or an engineer's perspective, the competition is pretty interesting. Some of the construction techniques are very innovative and good examples of out of the box thinking. The students have little to no experience in R/C aircraft usually, other than the occasional advise of the pilot or technical advisor. For example, the aircraft I flew last year weighed 9.6lb dry and empty, had a 13ft wingspan, was powered by a piped Jett 76L 2-stroke, and successfully carried 48.8lb of payload. Needless to say, this is really pushing the limits of materials and construction methods, so things can get exciting from time to time...

[link=http://students.sae.org/competitions/aerodesign/west/2004pix.htm]Here's a link to a few photos from back in 2004[/link].
[link=http://students.sae.org/competitions/aerodesign/west/]Competition Web site[/link]
[link=http://www.valleyflyers.com/flash_fieldinfo.htm]R/C Club location[/link]

If you've got an hour or two to kill in the evening and you're in the Van Nuys area, please let me know. I'm always game to meet a fellow R/C jet enthusiast! If you feel like coming out to watch, I'm with the 'UBC Super Heavy Lift' team. My team's aircraft will be have a large predominantly blue wing, with yellow highlights that look a bit like a lightning bolt out to each tip. I might have a Hawaiian shirt on if the weather's nice!

On that note... If you feel like coming out to participate, often a number of schools are looking for rent-a-pilots who feel comfortable flying aircraft with high wing loadings.

Kelly

While I'm at it, I should publicly thank a few sponsors on behalf of the students, relevant to this forum...

Great Northern Models
Norburn Hobbies (a well known R/C aircraft retail store up here in Canada)
Hiflight R/C, distributors of Hitec and many other brands in Canada
Eagle Tree Systems
PST Jets

Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Hey SoCal Jet guys, anyone have time for a beer this weekend?

Kelly,

I'm the Air Boss for the event. I'll be around the hotel Friday & Sat, at the evening events, and on on the runway Sat & Sun. If I'm not dead tired and crashed in my room, look me up.

Rick
Old 06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Kelly W

Great, I'll see you there rick!

I'm off to the airport in a couple more hours.

Kelly
Old 06-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kelly,

A couple of the local guys have been asked to do a flight demo and static display. I will be there on Sunday with an A37. I think Billy will be there with his A10 and Jason with his Bandit on Saturday. The weather should be real nice, but hot.

Sung
Old 06-01-2006, 08:02 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa, I thought I was going to be seeing Mr. Pakfar, and Billy's and his A-10 at Buttonwillow this weekend?
I am bumbed. Was really looking for to that a lot. Headin' up in early in the morn.
Oh well...y'all have fun at the basin this weekend.
Paul
Old 06-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Kelly W

You guys put on a great show last weekend. And Rick, thanks from everyone for your work at the event. It went off without a hitch by the looks of it. My guys had a great time, all be it a little on the hot side...

One favor I should ask you guys, my team may have misplaced the data terminal for their Eagle Tree Seagull system. Upon getting back to Vancouver, it doesn't appear to be in any of the boxes, so they're a little worried that it may have been left behind. Its a little black case, say 3" x 4" x 1" or so with a 2-line LCD screen and a wire antenna sticking out the top. There's a photo below. If you could spread the word and see if anyone's seen it, my team would really appreciate it. The last time anyone remembers seeing it for certain was at the strip.

Otherwise, here's a couple photos I took of the jet demonstration. Excellent flying guys! I've been wanting to have a closer look at that A10 and the A37 for some time.

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33989.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	476432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53435.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	476433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55933.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	476434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48025.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	476435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc38838.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	476436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96383.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	476437  
Old 06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will ask around Kelly. Nice meeting you at the event. I will be going to Whidbey this year with the A10. Maybe I'll see you up there. See ya , Billy