Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which is the best BAe Hawk? Airworld? Skymaster? Skygate? Too many!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which is the best BAe Hawk? Airworld? Skymaster? Skygate? Too many!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:14 PM
alexs0802

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the best BAe Hawk? Airworld? Skymaster? Skygate? Too many!

Hi,

I am a big fan o the BAe Hawk myself and looking into buying one soon. The only problem is that I can't make up my mind with all the different companies offering this plane. I saw the airworld one fly in Florida jets this year and it was absolutely one of the most gorgeous flying planes I have ever seen. Now skymaster is coming out with one that will be almost similar in size but for sure a fraction of the coast. How do the finishes compare? Jet legend also has one out now, anybody flow it yet? Just recently found another one made in Germany by www.skygate-collection.de/ which also looks very promising!
Would be great to get some pros and cons on the different models from people who own them and have flown this plane.

Cheers,

Al
Old 06-21-2006, 02:10 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Which is the best BAe Hawk? Airworld? Skymaster? Skygate? Too many!

Al, where do you see a plane?

I love hawks too!

Joe
Old 06-21-2006, 02:18 PM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

Go With the Airworld. My friend built 2 and they are by far the best Hawk Kit and a great deal for the price you pay highly pre-fabed.And not to mention the Gear are quite awsome.Your money will be well spent.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Airworld.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:10 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: alexs0802

Hi,

I am a big fan o the BAe Hawk myself and looking into buying one soon. The only problem is that I can't make up my mind with all the different companies offering this plane. I saw the airworld one fly in Florida jets this year and it was absolutely one of the most gorgeous flying planes I have ever seen. Now skymaster is coming out with one that will be almost similar in size but for sure a fraction of the coast. How do the finishes compare? Jet legend also has one out now, anybody flow it yet? Just recently found another one made in Germany by www.skygate-collection.de/ which also looks very promising!
Would be great to get some pros and cons on the different models from people who own them and have flown this plane.

Cheers,

Al
you cant compare

the Skymaster is pre painted right?
the airworld and skygate are just plain white kits with 0 preparations
and then there are the HUGE price differences.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:11 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

I love hawks too!

Joe
i see she has her "box ready"
Old 06-22-2006, 05:52 AM
petepowell

PJPJets 1/6 scale Hawk!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53554.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	481088  
Old 06-22-2006, 07:35 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She looks like Paris Hilton.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:37 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Theres something not quite right about that Skygate Collection Hawk, nose, canopy, profile anyone agree or is it just camera lense

distortion ?

Regards,

David Gladwin
Old 06-22-2006, 07:59 AM
petepowell

Too pointy, and real inlets are tiny!

Pete
PJPJets

Name:	Vt56757.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	481113  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:00 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps it could be the camera angle or the fact that it has the black anti-glare panel...the eye can be deceived ......
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 06-22-2006, 01:41 PM
alexs0802

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

I love hawks too!

Joe

Does she come RTF as well?? The airworld is definitely my favorite as well. The only doubt I have is the size! It is huge...
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: alexs0802

Does she come RTF as well??

She's probably more of an ARF....maybe a coupla drinks.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nose looks too tapered and thin to me. Doesn't have the volume or convexity of the real machine.

Craig.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:38 AM
tahfiet

Hi guys!

I don't know what you guys are reffering to, when you say the Skygate one ain't right. Here are two pictures I found. The first is a swiss Hawk, the second Red Arrows. I would say that the swiss Hawk has that pointy nose. You might be used to the wrong shape of the models....

Stefan place 4th in the last JWM in static, with a prototype that was painted three days ago. After seeing them flying a few times I guess the Skygate one is the perfect job for airshows and competition. The Airworld one comes close, but it is more work to get it right. The big point is that it is smaller, so transport is easier. The Skymaster is a bit on the heavy side and at least last years production was not a good quality.

BR,

David
Old 06-23-2006, 02:40 AM
TomcatDriver

G'day all,
This is the Hawk paint scheme I designed while at 79SQN in Pearce, Also had a hand in designing the 20Th anniversary Hornet , Although I now work on Hornets I still love the Hawks!,...

JJ[8D]

Name:	Lj21386.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	481441  
Old 06-23-2006, 02:50 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

No David I didn't SAY it is wrong, it just does not LOOK quite right it to me. Perhaps it is the black anti-glare panel that distorts the appearance. The Red Arrows Hawk the T1 and the Swiss Hawks are the same shape. I now have a great number of Hawk photos and the Air World one DOES look absolutely correct. The problem is that the Hawk has such subtle curves that even the smallest inaccuracy stands out. Both the AW and Skygate Hawks are absolutely superb models but to me the AW looks better in the air as the Skygate Model looks too light and frisky, after all, it weighs the same as the smaller AW model so obviously has a much lower wing loading. Thats the reason why I went for a second AW Hawk instead of a Skygate model.

I do not think the Skymaster Hawk can be compared with these two other machines, it is a sport scale Hawk but one which flies superbly.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:29 AM
Geoff White

Hi,

In my opinion, which one you purchase depends on the size of your wallet, the amount of time you have to build and the desire to have as close to 100% scale. Let me explain.

Skygate - I saw this model up close in Hungray and also saw it fly. I think it is the most accurate one available, which is borne out by the static scores at the WJM. I have no doubt that the airworld hawk can be made at least as accurate but this requires a lot of work(see David Gladwins articles in RCJI). Regarding the flying, in hungary, I preferred the way the airworld one flew. Its very hard to explain why, it just seemed that the skygate Hawk was a bit floaty and didn't have that 'solid' look, very hard to explain but I am sure other people thought it as well. This is not surprising as they both weigh just 20Kg but with the significant extra wing area of the Skygate Hawk the wing loading will be lower and hence more docile/floaty. I have seen a video of Stephan Volker landing the hawk after it suffered flutter of the fin and its obvious from the way its landing at a very slow speed and high angle of attck thats its very docile. On the other hand, I have also talked to some people who have recently seen it fly at Majorca and they were incredibly impressed with the way it flew. Although I guess the pilot had something to do with this. I have't checked but I think, of the three, this one is by far the most expensive.

Airworld - I also saw this fly in hungary. I was very impressed with it, so much that I phoned the UK importer and ordered one straight away. As I have already said is the previous paragraph I think it can be made into a superb scale model but its a lot of work. The issues around the instructions etc are very well documented and don't need going into here. If I had known the amount of work woudl I have still bought it? Yes but I would have had to think about it twice.

Skymaster - AFAIK there are two versions of the hawk, the older one and a new ARF plus version. I have only seen the older one so far but really you have to understand its in a completely different league. Its an ARF and as such is aimed at a completely different market. It is also between a half and third of the price(if not more). It is not as scale as the other two hawks as the fuselage, front of the cockpit, is wrong. When I looked at a friends I was surprised at the quality as it was better than I was expecting as there were no seam lines for example. As far as the flying goes, again like most hawks it flies very well. Moving onto the ARF plus version I haven't seen one but what I can say is that again a few people, including myself, have seen a new ARF plus F-16 and the quality is definately a notch up on the previous skymaster models. Also, I think I am right in saying that the new version is bigger than the old so its a new model in effect. I would expect them to take on board comments about the scale issues(nose etc) and correct this. If Skymaster get it right then I am sure thiis is going to sell well as everyone loves hawks(don't they).

To reiterate in the end it depends on your wallet and the amount of time you have. I am building an Airword Hawk that has taken much longer than I would like but I am sure it will all be worth it once I fly it.

Geoff White.

P.S. Just seen David Gladwins reply that says virtually the same thing!
P.P.S Forgot to add that the most important deciding factor. Don't underestimate the inconvenience of having to store/transport a 8 foot long(Airworld one) fuselage. I can speak from experience!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:25 AM
DaveMatthews

Comparison of the Skygate to the full-size. Mind you the two hawks pictured are no exactly taken from the same angle. Would be better to get two same angle shots for fair comparison.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:56 AM
AsiaSRC

Yes! It not easy to tell which one is close to the real one.
Perhaps, No easy to make one close to the real one too.

Here are few tips that may help your selection for Hawk model.

1) Canopy top curve outline..if you get it wrong..you still can hope it look like S211.

2) Air Intake..this is just important feature where the straight inner ducted show a lot suction.

3) Underwings Flaps stab..this got to be on Hawk,,I think it cure some aero unstability. Not too sure! But if you see them, then it either a HAWK or T45.

Name:	Tr50843.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	481468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77744.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	481469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23101.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	481470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41270.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	481471  
Old 06-23-2006, 06:01 AM
AsiaSRC

Here a S211 pic.

Name:	Sq47971.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	481473  
Old 06-23-2006, 06:03 AM
swissflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for sure the pilot in the skygate one is sitting too low, and give the impression of a bigger canopy-model...

but i will not be surprised, if my air force, as in almost every plane, made some changes on the shape of hawk..givin the impression of a wrong hawk, compared to the reds one...
Old 06-23-2006, 06:19 AM
AsiaSRC

re. Pointed nose cone! maybe Hawk painted in this color scheme seem to have a "different" nose cone? Swiss MK66 body should be the same as UK MK1 or T-1A/Red Arrow ver. except better engine, improved wings and weapons delivery cabability. Just my guessing.

We really need to paint them all the same for comparsion![:-]

Name:	Zx72338.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	481474  
Old 06-23-2006, 06:33 AM
AsiaSRC

Look Fw to SM verII Hawwk, can I have chilli red scheme please!

Name:	Xv62942.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	481476  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:10 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geoff

Very well put. I think your comments are spot on.I am looking forward to the new SM Hawk, as you said, slightly bigger than the old one and if the surface detail is as good as the shot of the F4 wing master we will not be dissapointed. From the shots of the plug it looks to have a fixed windscreen as per the Airworld version, this will be a very popular Hawk I am sure.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.