Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Grass capable jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Grass capable jet

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:57 AM
DKY
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grass capable jet

Hello guys

I am looking for some opinions on a turbine jet that can be used successfully on a 600ft grass runway. This jet would be used as a turbine trainer as it would be my first jet. I have flown 35% and 40% gas for a number of years now and can fly at the intermediate IMAC level. I have always had the jet bug and I may sell a 40%er to get a jet.

I have seen a BVM Bobcat and C-ARF Rookie fly and that is about it. They both look like they fly nice. My number one major concern was the Bobcat seemed to be killing the grass on the field leaving a 4-6" wide brown trail in the grass were ever it taxied. This is not acceptable at the club understandably. I do not know if the Rookie caused the same problem.

What are other guys running on grass without killing the grass?

Will a Bandit fly off grass and the thrust angle of the engine prevent killing the grass? Can it be used as a trainer?

Thoughts and opinions are much appreciated

Old 10-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Grass capable jet

Our club field is grass, a mixture of fescues, perennial rye, and a small amount of Kentucky Bluegrass....we currently have 7 flyers authorized for solo flight at our field.......well over 1000 flights/year....

As far as a trainer, the Boomerang XL is far and away the best IMO.......we have 2 flying regularly and a third about to make maiden.....we routinely buddy box flyers who have flown nothing but .46 size trainers and they can't believe how easy it is to fly.....decent price as well, with retracts, W/B and factory painted coming in under $2000.00........it also will accept most production motors out there.....there are guys flying them with AMT Mercury, lots of Jetcats, all the way up to AMT Olympus........the two in our club have P-120's on them and the third will have a Rhino......

The grass damage is the worst with my Pegasus powered KingCat with it's angled-down motor......however, the only time the brown grass lingers is in the middle of summer when rainfall is diminished......in our experience, as long as you don't park in one spot, with the blast unprotected, it does not kill the grass.....it comes back in a week or two, faster if there is rain......the issue is cosmetic only.....we still have more actual grass kill problems from gas and glow guys refusing to use overflow tanks....[:@].......quite a few jets fly at the super nice grass field at Joe Nall each year, and they have no problems as it always comes back.....but best to use blast shields under the tail in the startup areas....

The Bandit is not a trainer......it also leaves a pretty good grass brown trail as it sits on such short gear, but less so than the KC/BC......

I will post a photo of our field as it looks right now after a season of flying so your club members can feel comfortable that the grass will survive.....won't get that posted until tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning.....

Having our club president, Dave Elsinger, the most active jet flyer at our field, goes a long way to make our field jet friendly......

Tom
Old 10-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I regularly fly my Savex L39 off of a grass strip around the same size as you described. No burning of the grass either. Great little plane. It would be a good first jet too!

As mentioned earlier, the boomerang would also be a good jet.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:29 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Facet 2300 from Dreamworks with a 20 - 27 pound turbine works very well off grass. The looks grow on you......a little.
It is probably the strongest airframe of any of the grass field jets. It is very rugged.

The Kangaroo and Rookie both work well also.

If you want a smaller model the Facet 1200hp, Discovery, JetMach and Reaction 54 are all good choices.

My Facet has never burned the grass. But I have noticed when others flew their jets, that the grass turned brown for a few days and then came back green.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79882.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	538448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26680.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	538449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52618.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	538450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48138.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	538451  
Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Out of all the jets I have flown from grass ( and in the Uk we have to fly from grass quite a lot) The best for everyday grass use would be the Boomerang XL. I fly many of my other jets from grass and on the right day, when everything goes right with take off and landing all is great. But get one of these slightly wrong and damage can ensue. The Xl just flies and flies and flies. Also another strong point is that it is the only jet the I fly that has any similarity in the way it flies to a Imac type plane. I always compare flying to a 2m freestyle plane but without the 3d capability.
I have a couple of videos of it on my web site flying from a small (and not short) grass strip here in the Uk. Feel free to have a look or to ask me any more questions directly on [email protected]
Regards Al
http://alshobbies.bpweb.net/jc_videos/ali_phoenix.wmv

http://alshobbies.bpweb.net/jc_video...xl_donttry.wmv
Old 10-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Big Tony

ORIGINAL: grbaker

Facet 2300 from Dreamworks works very well off grass. The looks grow on you......a little.

Like a big wart maybe?? LOL

Ant[8D]

Got to be a boomerang if its just a sunday sports model your after.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: DKY

I have seen a BVM Bobcat and C-ARF Rookie fly and that is about it. They both look like they fly nice. My number one major concern was the Bobcat seemed to be killing the grass on the field leaving a 4-6" wide brown trail in the grass were ever it taxied. This is not acceptable at the club understandably. I do not know if the Rookie caused the same problem.
Go with the Rookie. You will not regret it. If you can find a ROO, that will be even better..

Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

The first series of shipments of the new JetMach is going out this week.

You can get them from Bob Leserve "limeybob" here on RCU.

Gets off grass in less than 100ft.
It is a true trainer in every sense of the word.
Very gentle flyer.

Name:	Ig13627.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	538490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi22119.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	538491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39598.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	538492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82958.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	538493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96732.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	538494  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:53 AM
frothingslosh
My Feedback: (6)

No one mentioned the Boomerang Intro (Baby Boomerang). All the same qualities as the XL, but in a smaller package (76" span) and at a lesser price. Flies great on a JetCat P-60 or P-70 or anything else from 12 to 18 lb. thrust. And it's perfectly at home on grass strips. Mine gets off great in about 150 ft. with a P-70.

Go here to see both the XL and the Intro:

www.boomerangjets.com
Old 10-10-2006, 01:23 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: DKY

Hello guys

I am looking for some opinions on a turbine jet that can be used successfully on a 600ft grass runway. This jet would be used as a turbine trainer as it would be my first jet. I have flown 35% and 40% gas for a number of years now and can fly at the intermediate IMAC level. I have always had the jet bug and I may sell a 40%er to get a jet.

What are other guys running on grass without killing the grass?

Will a Bandit fly off grass and the thrust angle of the engine prevent killing the grass? Can it be used as a trainer?

Thoughts and opinions are much appreciated

we fly a airworld L-39 - carf eurosports-sm F-5 from 300 feet gras strips.
no problems

Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: frothingslosh

No one mentioned the Boomerang Intro (Baby Boomerang). All the same qualities as the XL, but in a smaller package (76" span) and at a lesser price. Flies great on a JetCat P-60 or P-70 or anything else from 12 to 18 lb. thrust. And it's perfectly at home on grass strips. Mine gets off great in about 150 ft. with a P-70.

Go here to see both the XL and the Intro:

www.boomerangjets.com
th xl takes of from less then 30 ft if powered with a merlin....
(and yes it can land in just twice the distance)

Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Recommend the XL, with Sandor's trailing link struts... those things can absorb a lot of pain that will bend straight struts.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 PM
frothingslosh
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with everything said about the XL, but someone should tell DKY that he's going to have to pay about $1,500 (U.S.) more for the XL than he will for the Baby Boomerang. More for the plane, more for the engine, 2 more servos, more for the gear, etc.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree with you. The Baby Boomerang is probably the one I would choose if I was starting in Jets. It is cheap, easy to build & flys very well.

Regards

Jim
Old 10-10-2006, 03:22 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well, it is my turn to offer the perfect grass strip turbine jet. Facet 2300 with a p-120. best part of the jet is fixed gear. The gear that comes with the kit is strong and takes a beating. there are a few clubs I fly at with the Facet 2300 and they are all grass and I have not had any problems in either take offs or landings. and another great feature, much cheaper then all the other aircrafts that have been listed here. and as you can see in the pics, they come in so slow for landings.

Mark

Name:	Rp44460.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	538607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29464.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	538608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81121.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	538609  
Old 10-11-2006, 08:31 AM
DKY
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for all of the great replies guys. The one that has peaked my interest is the Boomerang XL2 version. I am definitely a fan of larger airplanes. The flight envelope looks decent and easy enough to land.

Does the Boomerang have a tendency to brown the grass?
What engine size works best for the Boomerang XL2 for performance and flight times?

What about the C-ARF Eurosport? How does it work as a first jet aircraft?

I have owned and built about a dozen C-ARF planes in the 35-40% size so I am familiar with their planes. I am kind of after something scale in appearance and more jet like. I have my other planes for knife edge circles and stuff.

The one C-arf I saw was a Roo not a Rookie my mistake.

Please keep the opinions coming as I am certainly not swinging one way ior the other yet.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Neither the XL or Intro have caused any browning at our field.
Gary
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Hobby Inn

I easily fly a baby Boomerang with a PST 600R off a 400 foot grass strip. It does not brown the grass. At a field close by, they did have a problem with a Bobcat/Kingcat type plane browning the grass.