Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

ORIGINAL: SkunkWerkz

Bryce, it looks like hell in the skies at Markham. I dont remember it that bad that day.
It was'nt, you know only full-scale are in the air when it looks like that........and they either land or avoid that weather by 20 or more miles. Would'nt want to encounter windshear and scrape a wingtip or something............best to just use photoshop for the models.

Another tip for you guys planning on doing the pylons(once again coming from I don't know where)..............after you cut out the small squares of wood and have the individual hardpoints cut (don't forget to drill a few small holes in the bottom of the hardpoint for better glue adhesion), kevlar cloth squares cut and you have everything ready to glue.................do the following(or at least this is what I heard was done).........put the screws into the pylons from the inside and through the small squares and screw them into the hardpoints as they will be when the assembly is complete.......then take that pylon assembly and carefully lower it into the wing.........and let it sit (make sure they are perpendicular and squared up with the wing surface).......what you are doing is using the small squares of bottom wing skin as a jig for the pylon/hardpoint......this is the quick way of doing it and will insure that when everything is dry, the pylon will screw into the wing nice and easy and everything will be square. After the hardpoints are dry, then the pylon is unscrewed and removed and the little squares of bottom wing skin are then glued into their respective spots again using the screw and pylon this time to keep those centered........................the bottom of the pylon will ensure that the squares are once again flush with the bottom of the wing.......a small piece of clear plastic between the bottom of the pylon and little square of wing skin will ensure that no glue squeezes through and glues the pylon to the wing................this whole step can be done at once if you are careful and do one pylon at a time.

Still seems like a lot of work to me, and as always.............Only follow the manufacturers recommendations and instructions on how to make additions or modifications to your model.

In the meantime........sorry for the thread deviation guys.......enough pics of 22's and 18's in less than ideal conditions......back to the F-16.............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46489.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	871360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83840.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	871361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38753.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	871362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67281.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	871363  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 PM
RonTins

ORIGINAL: bela

ORIGINAL: Nightwalker

I am planning to do it myself BUT before I started hacking holes in the wings...I ran it by a guy who builds planes for a living (built 4 for me in the past) look at the way it was shown here on this thread and he was not real excited about it...thinking there had to be a better and strong way...and easier too. He wasn't trying to be critical of what was done on Bryce"s plane....just his opinion is that he would rather think of another way to do it. The problem is getting access to those areas with large enough materials to make it stout enough for what we are thinking about...strain and stress on the wings in flight.

Anyone else on this stuff yet???

Rex

[X(]Ooops never thought about strain and stress on the wings in flight..........hope my plane flies? (never fails folks when you try to help there's always a critic with an opinion) I can say that the current pylons mounted on my 16 are strong enough that if you hold either wing fully mounted with all stores and literally swing it back and forth while holding the whole assembly by a single pylon or try to twist any pylon side to side there is ZERO flex in any direction the only way to get them off without unscrewing them is to literally break the wing.........but like I said......hope my plane flies. Tip......the square of kevlar cloth is a lot larger than the actual dimension of the small hardpoint which is glued to the bottom of the top skin of the wing thereby increasing the mounting footprint and spreading out the load.......of each individual hardpoint......the V-poxy is spread around with a brush and heated slightly so it is thin that way the kevlar cloth soaks it up easier........the squares of cloth are about 2" by 2"

I've been saying this privately to several manufacturers and now I'll say it publically...........WILL SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A 1/6 SCALE F-22???......and finally do that bird justice, with all the trimmings, weapon bay doors side and bottom, leading edge devices, canopy and vectored thrust?.........that way we can carry all of our armament internally and we would'nt be talking about all these pylons and such..........besides.......anyone ever see a full scale F-16 and F-22 side by side? We all see how big the F-16 is in 1/6 scale......catch my drift? The 22 is a big bird.......

ASK AND YE SHALL RECIEVE!

Current project f-22 6th scale, this is the plug and is being surface detailed as we speak. Im also working some minor shaping errors, It will be functional in all the ways just mentioned by the "B-MAN"! I dont want to hijack this thread, so if you fellas are interested in the project, let me know, and ill start a new thread.

WOW!!!!!!! I love the idea of a 1:6 Scale F-22. Start a ne thread and lets take it from there. BTW how much will this cost so I can start saving?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Well, got the tail painted finally and I cleared it about an hour ago. She looks good. Clear came out so good Im not even going to wetsand it, just the blends. Check it out! Rawwwrrrrr.........

Name:	Bz78586.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	871882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66753.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	871883  
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Wow, who ever did that job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well lets just say,,,, WOW
Old 02-06-2008, 10:31 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

SW,
Looks like I may be down there this next week for a day or two on a project in Coral Gables...flying into Ft Laud. though. PM me a e-mail address or phone number and I'll see if you guys are flying that day.

Rex
Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 AM
loucel-RCU
My Feedback: (57)

SW,
WOW!!! ............... WOW! nice art work....

Roberto
Old 02-08-2008, 06:53 AM
bela

ORIGINAL: fiifiward

ORIGINAL: bela

ORIGINAL: Nightwalker

I am planning to do it myself BUT before I started hacking holes in the wings...I ran it by a guy who builds planes for a living (built 4 for me in the past) look at the way it was shown here on this thread and he was not real excited about it...thinking there had to be a better and strong way...and easier too. He wasn't trying to be critical of what was done on Bryce"s plane....just his opinion is that he would rather think of another way to do it. The problem is getting access to those areas with large enough materials to make it stout enough for what we are thinking about...strain and stress on the wings in flight.

Anyone else on this stuff yet???

Rex

[X(]Ooops never thought about strain and stress on the wings in flight..........hope my plane flies? (never fails folks when you try to help there's always a critic with an opinion) I can say that the current pylons mounted on my 16 are strong enough that if you hold either wing fully mounted with all stores and literally swing it back and forth while holding the whole assembly by a single pylon or try to twist any pylon side to side there is ZERO flex in any direction the only way to get them off without unscrewing them is to literally break the wing.........but like I said......hope my plane flies. Tip......the square of kevlar cloth is a lot larger than the actual dimension of the small hardpoint which is glued to the bottom of the top skin of the wing thereby increasing the mounting footprint and spreading out the load.......of each individual hardpoint......the V-poxy is spread around with a brush and heated slightly so it is thin that way the kevlar cloth soaks it up easier........the squares of cloth are about 2" by 2"

I've been saying this privately to several manufacturers and now I'll say it publically...........WILL SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A 1/6 SCALE F-22???......and finally do that bird justice, with all the trimmings, weapon bay doors side and bottom, leading edge devices, canopy and vectored thrust?.........that way we can carry all of our armament internally and we would'nt be talking about all these pylons and such..........besides.......anyone ever see a full scale F-16 and F-22 side by side? We all see how big the F-16 is in 1/6 scale......catch my drift? The 22 is a big bird.......

ASK AND YE SHALL RECIEVE!

Current project f-22 6th scale, this is the plug and is being surface detailed as we speak. Im also working some minor shaping errors, It will be functional in all the ways just mentioned by the "B-MAN"! I dont want to hijack this thread, so if you fellas are interested in the project, let me know, and ill start a new thread.

WOW!!!!!!! I love the idea of a 1:6 Scale F-22. Start a ne thread and lets take it from there. BTW how much will this cost so I can start saving?
great. will do

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7042677/tm.htm
Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 AM
icepilot

Which one is the real thing??
There has been some discussion about the color of afterburners in some threads here -
I think the one from Dreamworks/Flugmodellbau nails it pretty good!!
Watch the video and find out which jet is real and which one is my F-16!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TguWArX06kg

Large version here: www.av-art.no/filer/modellfly/4burnersbig.wmv

SW - beautiful artwork on that tail - now get her airborne and shoot some video!!

Tor
Old 02-09-2008, 12:18 AM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, got a 1/6 almost ready for maiden, it belongs to a customer, waiting for the smoke pump, lights, powerbox and batteries to arrive, this should happen next week so maiden is going to be probably the week after that.

Sorry Bryce, he wanted your color scheme...

Missiles where installed as per diagram which is basically the same methos that Bryce did. The are very strong. The builder Claudio Rojas did a great job as usual, I am sure he will ñpost some other pics later.

Michel
Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 AM
JetsRC

Hi guys, got a 1/6 almost ready for maiden, it belongs to a customer, waiting for the smoke pump, lights, powerbox and batteries to arrive, this should happen next week so maiden is going to be probably the week after that.

Sorry Bryce, he wanted your color scheme...

Missiles where installed as per diagram which is basically the same methos that Bryce did. They are very strong. The builder Claudio Rojas did a great job as usual, I am sure he will post some other pics later.

Michel

Name:	Xv65155.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	873656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21431.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	873657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18296.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	873658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93541.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	873659  
Old 02-09-2008, 01:12 AM
PowerBoxDanny

[sm=omg_smile.gif] Someone stole Bryce's plane!!! Kidding. Looks good!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:02 AM
RonTins

Nice build. I have an F-16 myself and I am hoping to get someone who lives in the md, va, bal area to build the jet for me. I will pay for labor. Anyoneone out there?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Michel,

Looks great! Could you please post some pics of the internals and your fit out? Thanks,

Craig.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:53 AM
rbxbear44

How do I get pics to reduce to put on the thread? Some of mine do load while others are "too large to load". I tried through the camera program to lower outgoing resolution from 350 to 250 but it still gave me the "message".

Rex
Old 02-09-2008, 10:23 AM
rbxbear44

Tor or SW and anyone else in the free world that has built this bird, Did you epoxy the wing tips on...or screws only?

Rex
Old 02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Hi Rex:
Depending on what program you are running you can reduce the photo then do a quick save and it should save it. That is how I do it

Dave
Old 02-09-2008, 03:01 PM
RonTins

I am having trouble centering my main landing gear. Does anyone have theirs properly centered? When I measure the assembly from both sides and I think I have nailed it, I ralize that the whole assemble is off-centered. Do I have to take it as it is? I like to have things done close to perfection...
Old 02-09-2008, 03:58 PM
flyexperimental

If the gear is not centered you may end up with a tire hitting something as it cycles up and down.

install elevators while it sits on gear to help to check that gear is not tilted and jet sits level.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:01 PM
JetsRC

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

Hi Michel,

Looks great! Could you please post some pics of the internals and your fit out? Thanks,

Craig.
I am leaving on vacation tomorrrow for a week so I won't be able to see the jet until next week. I will take some pics and post them here...

Michel
Old 02-09-2008, 05:44 PM
rbxbear44

Thanks to Joe, I now have my Ailerons set up and ready to go. Your measurements were almost perfect, dead on. THANKS! Still waiting on gear door hinges and one more BVM Kevlar Tank Hardware package! Canopy is now fitted and ready for CG test (whether or not I have to give my pilot a instant diet or not!!!). Doing the decking for plumbing and headed to the pylons next.

These are steps for what Joe came up with...

Name:	Fd91749.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	874123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59991.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	874124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16467.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	874125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65455.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	874126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41322.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	874127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38857.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	874128  
Old 02-09-2008, 05:52 PM
rbxbear44

I raised my fuse till I had perfect clearance to cycle the gear and let the tires just sit on the surface (made sure the gear was in full down position. I then took a straight edge and butted it to the wing fillets on the Fuse. With that move, you can make proper "Geometry" to check for tire tracking AND distances for centering (You have several references to use (Fillets, Wing Spar holes, etc)....based on the Fuse and NOT the formers...the formers are not good indicators at all, for orientation. Once you have it right, I used Vise Grip C-Clamps to keep the gear in place and cycle them by hand to see that they cleared everything on the way up.

Once I was there, I marked the holes and drilled...I used t-nuts rather than screws.

Hope this helps!
Rex
Old 02-09-2008, 06:29 PM
PowerBoxDanny

I had a hell of a time to get the gear on straight. If it is not installed correctly, your airplane will sit lopsided on its gear and you will see it. After thinking I had it perfect, I had the problem and had to fill in the old holes and reposition the landing gear. Take your time in this process, it is a pain in the arse but better to do it right the first time.

Rex, My wing tip deals are just screwed in.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 PM
rbxbear44

Man, SW is right! Take your sweet time on this. I figured the plane has stuff wayyyyy off as far as using it as a "visual" for your references. Don't go by the holes in the former or the center ring. Mine were up to 1/4" different on location and size. Gear doors give you a bad eye on square too. So, I used this perfect "work of art gear", figuring it would be dead on since it is a fully balanced and engineered part. That is why I suspended the plane enough (used pillows in between Nose and Main Gears and aft area of Fuse) for the gear to come down and just sit on the surface. I made sure the Fuse was balanced and then I tweaked it a little as needed using two "C Clamp Vise Grips" keeping the Gear plate on the Former. I put the wings on and measured from the Bench top to mid point of leading edge on each wing.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THAT GEAR IS COMPRESSED EQUALLY ON BOTH SIDES TOO BEFORE YOU GO CHASING THIS DOWN!!! The plane is pretty light at this point but it is easy to put a little too much pressure on one side and have greater compression on one strut.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:35 AM
icepilot

Rex, I glued my wing tip rails as I had just screwed them on at first and there is so little
material to screw them into that one of the screws actually came out during flight,
leaving the rail to swivel and hang by one screw only. Fortunately, I was able to land the
plane and take it off - then straight home to glue it!

I think I must have been very lucky with my plane, as I just bolted the gear on and it was
straight and looking good right away - I didn't even have to adjust the oil/air in the oleos..

Hope to go flying next Sunday - it's been way too long now!

Tor
Old 02-10-2008, 11:34 AM
RonTins

Thank all o you for your tips and suggestion on how to install the landing gear without using the formers as a visual. I'll try all your suggestions until I nail it right. Thanks once again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.