Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Artes Super Eagle...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Artes Super Eagle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Artes Super Eagle...

Hey all,

I picked up a new Artes Super Eagle at FIJR from Eric Clapp and after the meet, a friend and I started the conversion process. I finished it up a couple of days ago and finally got around to starting it up yesterday. All I can say is WOW! It started right up, idled smoothly and when I opened it up…I was stunned at how much power it was putting out. I can’t wait to get her in the air now with the new engine in it. My previous turbine, a JetCat P-120 was running fine however, I just wanted less lag on throttle up and more thrust. I was not disappointed. This turbine is an entirely different beast. . .and with a Lifetime Warranty to give me peace of mind.

There is no doubt this Jet Central Super Eagle has far more power than I experienced with the P-120 . . . this is going to be fun!

Beave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82489.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	560995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68283.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	560996  
Old 11-16-2006, 09:50 AM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Artes Super Eagle...

Nice Bevar, glad you liked your new engine... Know why do you want to come down here and fly my jets? Just bring this beast to our show...[X(] With the Eagle that F-15 will fly like a rockest...

Michel
Old 11-16-2006, 12:57 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Bevar,
Please give us a flight report and peformance difference from the P-120 on this plane/engine combo as I am looking into the same combo in the near future. Thanks.

Marty
Old 11-18-2006, 12:50 AM
bevar

Will do! I am hoping to fly her Sunday so I will give a full report if I get to take her up.

Brute power baby!

Beave
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM
bevar

Well, I finally flew my Skymaster F-15 with it's new Artes Super Eagle installed. I had been flying it with a JetCat P-120 but was not happy with it's throttle lag and wanted more power. My P-120 is rated at 28 pounds of thrust but when the F-15 was full of fuel, for the first few minutes the jet was sort of doggy in performance. It was a bit more vertically challenged that I would have thought it should be and the lag really bugged me, even with a freshly updated ECU.

That being said, I flat rated the Super Eagle (turned it down) to 25 pounds for the first flights to get used to the new power plant and so everything could settle in and man o man what a difference. Just watching the takeoff roll it was evident that my jet had much more power than before. It seemed to lunge forward on take off and zipped into the air with much more authority than before. For example, with full tanks I would make a full throttle pass, pull vertical and could get 1 and a 1/2 rolls up on high rates before it ran out of steam and fell out. Now, I can come by at about 1/2 throttle, go to full while pulling vertical and do one full roll up in low rate and then fly a nice round 3/4 inside loop to recover.

On the other hand I did notice a little more noise with the Eagle than with the P-120, but I guess that is a byproduct of more thrust. The fuel consumption is a tick higher as well but it's not anything big.

I can't imagine how it will fly if I were to turn it up to it's full rated 30 pounds..talk about a rocket.

Beave
Old 12-04-2006, 12:03 PM
afterburner

Thanks for the flight report Beave. Sounds like you are happy with the switch. I Wonder how much the extra 5lbs will give you on top speed and verticals? Good luck with it.

Marty
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 PM
pilott34

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my SM F-15 with an Eagle in it too. However, I never turned mine down. I too had a P-120 in mine before and I wasnt overly impressed. It powered it ok, but the Eagle just adds a WOW factor that is indescribable. The spool up time is great, the top end speed is a little quicker. Where you definitely see the difference is the takeoff roll and the verticle climbs. The first time I flew mine after removing the P120, I hit the gas and couldnt believe how quickly it accelerated and was off the ground.

Mike
Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
bevar

Marty,

I don't think the top speed will be much higher due to the F-15 being such an aerodynamic hog drag wise. The inlets on the SM F-15 create so much drag a Rhino would not help much more either from a top speed angle. The take off and vertical penetration is where the improved thrust begin to shine. I was told at Florida Jets this year by an F-15 pilot if you grind down the bottom lip from the inlets, it will pick up between 10 to 15 more MPH. I'm happy the way it is and just a hack when on the sticks so it's plenty fast for me and my "Joe Bag 'o' Donuts" flying skill level.

Gee...maybe I'll have to dial it up and see for my self soon. [sm=idea.gif]

Beave
Old 12-04-2006, 10:39 PM
afterburner

Beave,
Still sounds good at 30lbs. with short take offs and strong verticals. My JL 15 should be here tomorrow. I'm leaning towards the Eagle but will decide after FJ 07. Do you fly jets in the Lake Worth area? I'll be around there the week before FJ's.

Marty
Old 12-05-2006, 09:13 AM
BlackCloud
My Feedback: (12)

Turn it up! Turn it up! Turn it up! Turn it up!