Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whip Antenna

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whip Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:02 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whip Antenna

Would that be the little tankbuster model that I was questioning your mini deans antenna on earlier this year?

I just don't trust that base-loaded antenna. I feel just like PhantomDriver does...inconclusive.

By the way...you know that pack of mine you swore was puffed? The SOB rates at full capacity, many flights later, go figure! But I did get a balancer at your behest....
Old 11-24-2006, 09:25 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a notice from the mountain down to the foamie low lands! we have been using the deans/revolution since the mid 1990's never a gliltch or range issues. some tuned by JR some just cut to the 4" and orientation has been from mnted on outside of fuse to laying in the nose in scale applications . but of course we have always used highend jr rec. and pcm10's. we will use them untill they are no longer avail.

NOTE: e.t.- add this to the tablet stones as they have come down from jet mountain
Old 11-24-2006, 09:44 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Rather than carve it into tablets, maybe I will just urinate this vital scripture from on high onto the garage wall for all posterity to read.

I don't doubt ANYBODY's experience here on this thread, I think it's all very interesting. I have NOT had the guts to try my base-loaded antenna on anything but small planes that stay close, so I cannot say how well they work in my own experience. I can say that the 20" whips seem to give me greater range(and lenght and girth and stamina and confidence!) than the plain string, but I just have not trusted the little base loaded ones...
Old 11-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

Ah, that must have been my problem - I was using a lowly high end Futaba Rx
Old 11-24-2006, 09:51 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

sorry but as your name says TRUE!!! just kidding , trying to make the point that the antenna alone does not create the range on it's own and everyone needs to understand these are not the little blue and white deans they are the 7" black that they supply to horizon and are then called the revolution . if you have any confusion just order from horizon and you can't goe wrong.

E.T.- you must respect when the gods thunder from above! or else you will suffer the wrath!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:54 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, here's my $0.02. The guys from NASA Langley I work with have over 600 jet flights on everything from PCM L1011 models to a $500k or so dynamically scaled research aircraft - all using Deans antennas on JR 955 or 945 RX's and 10X transmitters. I have over 50 or 60 flights on my Eurosport with the Deans on a Futaba 149 RX and a 9CHP. Often the ground range checks have been better with the Deans than the whip, but as long as the ground range check is above the minimum, every thing is OK. YMMV...

Bob
Old 11-25-2006, 05:37 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

ET, the Weatronics DR IS available on 72m, see Todd at Dreamworks. I dont know the prices but they are at least $600, more for GPS and gyro. Frankly I think its cheap for such a complex and capable device. But not everyone needs to install a DR in every model, all we need to remove this speculation and obtain accurate data is for one flier to test EVERY aerial configuration as say #2 aerial in a DR, (using a safe half or full whip as #1, the rx will select the better) see what the recorded RF value is, then an accurate numerical comparison can be made. For those not aware of the DR system , it records the RF strength of each aerial system continuously, many times per second which can then be presented as a 2d graph or pictorially in 3d when GPS is in use. I would do it but I operate on 36 MHZ and dont have any base loaded aerials on that frequency so am limited to whips, half whips and strings as on my SM Hawk . On the Hawk the half whip, my favoured system, is showing a stronger RF value than the string, as one might expect.

I also question some guys who say they have never had a glitch, some of the failsafes recorded on my Jetcat ECUs have been very brief and were not even noticed in flight. Only way one can say "no glitches" is if a glitch logger is used, either something like a JC ECU or the MAS volt logger/glitch counter. Again a Weatronics DR will tell the WHOLE story and back it up with numerical data .

Incidentally, isn't the vertical axis the Y axis, always was on graphs at my school, but that's when Pontious was a pilot !

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

David, that is a sterling idea. Please someone do this on 72 MHz and post the results. I am confident that the Weatronics' comparison will show a full length whip to be the one to use!

And David, at least in the USA, Z axis has been up (vertical stab direction) since at least 1977 (when I had Aviation Fundamentals at Va Tech). Z axis is also up the vertical on the Space Shuttle and is in that same direction for the External Tank.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

X axis is toward the top of the page, Y is across the page and Z is UP off of the page
Old 11-25-2006, 04:40 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Interesting , Terry, because the Weatronics manual also refers to the Y axis as the maximum and minimum values on their many graphs, unless I am reading it wrongly. None the less I do hope someone WILL do an antenna trial using a DR. certainly, all the data I have on Weatronics DRs, both using one string and one half whip shows not a single failsafe frame (yep, it logs that too !).

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:52 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Right you are about the weatronics being avalible now on 72, and I cannot think of a better place to buy from than Dreamworks...but the prices are from $600-900, and I can't stomach that, and I think very few other guys will, so we will have to rely on the data you can come up with in testing various antennae, and we all will be richer for it.
There are two different configurations of the base-loaded deans I have seen, one with a screw-in antenna, the other one solid piece.
Would be interesting to find the best way to mount it.

Bob Khlenke's ringing endorsement of the deans base leaded antenna gets my attention, for sure. You are running your Eurosport on PPM with the 149 and the deans base-loaded whip, no problems? Did not get the RX retuned?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

It is pricey

Not such a bad deal for that special project though, it's essentially 2 pack Rx's plus full powerbox type funtionality all in one. If you would use a powerbox type setup otherwise the cheaper Weatronic isn't any more expensive...

Yes, BTW, the A-10 was what I was referring to. But it was the older BIGGER version I did a couple years ago - 2 90mm DS-51's and 17 pounds RTF. The little one with the 2 mini-fans and the Deans antenna is rocksolid, no problems.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:55 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

There are two different configurations of the base-loaded deans I have seen, one with a screw-in antenna, the other one solid piece.
Would be interesting to find the best way to mount it.

Bob Khlenke's ringing endorsement of the deans base leaded antenna gets my attention, for sure. You are running your Eurosport on PPM with the 149 and the deans base-loaded whip, no problems? Did not get the RX retuned?
ET,

I'm running the Euro on PCM with the 149 and no, I did not get the RX retuned. I did work with some folks up at the Army Research Lab who were putting the Deans on ground vehicles and they said that they could increase the signal strength quite a bit by tuning the antenna length to the specific frequency using a spectrum analyzer, but I got very good ground range with the Denas on the EURO, so I went with it as is and have never had a problem in flight - knock on wood.

One thing that WILL cause you a problem with the Deans is the small piece of heat shrink tubing used to keep the antenna from unscrewing with vibration. When you take the antenna off for travel, the heat shrink will typically unscrew with the antenna. You must twist it back down before you screw the antenna back on the next time. I had a friend that didn't and when he put the antenna on, it simply screwed over the heat shrink and didn't make good contact. Right after rotation, the plane went into failsafe - right about where you'd expect without the antenna screwed onto the base...

Bob
Old 11-26-2006, 03:14 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

Ok, so where does one pick up a Deans, Revolution, or any other?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:53 AM
rhklenke

Todd has the Revolution and the full-length whips:

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/inde...t_order&page=2

Tower has the Deans:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKX48&P=ML

Bob
Old 02-07-2007, 01:47 PM
rs670
My Feedback: (1)

I'm about to install the Dean's base loaded whip in a Lanier Shrike. After reading all the comments on whip antennas, there's still one issue I'm wondering about. That's the attitude in which it's mounted. Instructions say to mount it vertically away from wires, metal objects etc. What is everyone's opinion on mounting it inside and parallel to the fuselage length instead of outside and near 90 degrees?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM
mick15

David, you have a Weatronic trial of sorts from my mb339, the number 1 receiver is fed from the whip.....remember?

m
Old 02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that Weatronics whip a full length or a base loaded?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 PM
B777

If your jet has carbon fiber and/or graphite running inside the fuselage, whip attenna is a better choice. Running the stock attenna inside the fuselage looks clean but you will need to shield it from possible electrical noises that can be generated by servos, pump, turbine, retracts, etc... Whip attenna is just a replacement extension of the original attenna, I keep mine very simple Just make sure that you replace the same length to what was cut.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

OK, now that these have been discussed, lots of names mentioned, where do you get these antennaes?
Old 02-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

"Full length whip" being really only 20"! I have plenty of trust in them, they just put the last 20" on that z-axis and away from the pipe and any CF.
But the little base-loaded deans one, I have flown it pretty extensively in some smaller planes with no apparent issues, but it just scares me for a bigger jet. Also, I ordered the wrong one, the one-peice one, they have a screw-in one that has a vertical mount, mine needs to be velcroed in somewhere, inevitably on the longitudinal axis of the fuse, which does not help things.
I'll take the 20" whip over just the string anyday, just because of the way it puts the antenna on the z-axis, as opposed to the string being mostly blocked by the fuse in many modes of flight...even without re-tuning, I feel safer with the 20" whip...
But while I hear guys saying "no problem" with the short base-loaded ones, I am still nervous.
Deans advertises "adequate range". Which is not the same as "full range". The Revolution one, I don't know anything about.
Will Futaba tune my RX with a new antenna?
NO, the last time I checked the Futaba service center will not do it... but Tony Stillman (Radio South) probably will.
Lee
Old 02-10-2007, 11:09 AM
learjet-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Hi,

here are some more antennas

[link=http://s104293454.einsundeinsshop.de/sess/utn;jsessionid=154543860391349/shopdata/0020_ACCESSORIES+GO+FOR+YOUR+10=25+DISCOUNT/0100_ELECTRONIC+ACCESSORIES/0040_ANTENNAS/product_overview.shopscript]Jetpower Whip Antennas[/link]

[link=http://www.worldhobby.eu/katalog/catalog07.pdf]NEW ENGLISH CATALOG DOWNLOAD[/link]

Ready for free pick up at Florida Jets.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:51 PM
John H.

read this[link]http://www.rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm[/link]
Old 02-14-2007, 04:38 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am rebuilding my BVM Maverick and converting it to turbine. I'm trying to decide the best antenna configuration. I don't like the looks of a whip antenna or even a base loaded one sticking up out of the plane, plus there isn't a good place to mount it. Since it's not a good idea to install a plastic antenna tube near the tailpipe I'm thinking of installing a piece of music wire, 20 - 30 " along the inside of the fuse and sticking the last 6" or so up into the vertical fin to get it in the Z axis. I would of course shorten the antenna wire by the length of the music wire.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? The plane could still get into a position where the tailpipe would block the portion in the fin, but the antenna portion ahead of the tailpipe would still be exposed.

Joe
Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 PM
John H.

Down wing leading edge.
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.