Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Death of a SM F-15

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Death of a SM F-15

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:24 AM
diceman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Death of a SM F-15

If you have a large scree TV and a VCR with the capability of frame by frame display I believe you will be surprised at what you can see. I did this once after a crash and the detail of flutter, and airframe failure was spectactular.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:48 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for all the good points. As long as we can all learn from our mistakes we'll be very successful!!

Raf
Old 12-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Raffi,
I finally got to see this video everyone has been talking about. I agree with Ali as the way it went in looks to be a stab failure rather then flap. I have had flaps fail and it is almost always saveable as it will not roll the aircraft as violently as yours did.
Anyway, the video clearly shows that there was nothing you/anyone could have done to save that thing so lets just learn from this and further inspect these baby's prior to flying them.
You wanna go flying today? Im off work and Tam wants to go fly. Call me if you find your sack,
Presta
Old 12-11-2006, 01:18 PM
pilott34

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ravill

All I had was my CO2 extinguisher which was unable to put out the flame. We ran over and I tried to kick the turbine out of the fireball while blasting it with CO2.[:'(] Bob sent it back to me saying he couldn't do anything to fix it! Bummer huh??
From the video, it doesnt look like there was anything that could be done...didnt even look like there would be time for any kind of a shutdown either...

HOWEVER, my question is why did you only have a CO2 extinguisher? AMA regs (rule 16) require a water based extinguisher to be present at all times...really could have been a disaster.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:22 PM
ravill

Dave,

Ehab and I are going to go fly on thursday. Why don't you come with.

Hey pilott34

A. We were not at an ama field

B. There are full scale firefighters in the vicinity

C. I carry water and an ABC fire extinguisher with me now.

What do you carry to your field in the american Samoa??

Raf
Old 12-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Dave,

Ehab and I are going to go fly on thursday. Why don't you come with.

If Im not working I will come. Where you going? Tracy? Lets talk Wednsday afternoon.
Later,
Dave
Old 12-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Gordon Mc

We were not at an ama field
Strictly speaking .... AFAIK, there is only ONE "AMA field" (Muncie). All others are club / county fields, typically operating under an AMA charter.

Note that since the AMA insurance covers you even when you are not flying at a chartered site or sanctioned event (many AMA members don't even have a club to belong to), the word from on high is that you are in fact bound by the AMA reg's regardless of where you fly. The answer to whether there is any way that you can "opt out" of AMA coverage in order to fly outside the AMA regs while you are still a member, varies quite substantially depending on which day you ask. (Been there, done that).

The location looks kinda like Crows Landing. If so, then (a) last time I checked, there was in fact an AMA club chartered for that site - Stanislaw County Aero Modellers ; (2) flying RC models there can result in you being arrested. The local deputies used to be extremey supportive of us flying there and would call up the other deputies to come watch any time we were flying, but now there are orders from higher up to prevent any RC activity on the site. Just ask Spot about the last time he flew there - the police took down everyone's details and told them that if they were ever found out there again, there could be some serious repercussions. So, if that's where you were, you might want to think about staying away before your name too appears on the police watch list for the site.

Gordon
Old 12-11-2006, 04:10 PM
pilott34

I carry my indian water can that I bought off of Ebay. Sounds like the local fire department isnt much help. There are fire departments in "the vicinity" of most fields. AMA field or not, if you are a member with a waiver you are bound to their rules in order to protect ALL of us.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:56 PM
ravill

KEEP THE SAETY ISSUES COMING!!!!!!

Raf
Old 12-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

I saw another F-15 crash like this once.

It was a vertical stabilizer.
It snapped, leaned and sent the plane rolling