Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I Feel Ripped Off

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I Feel Ripped Off

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:55 PM
slick121985
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I Feel Ripped Off

Just to awnser some questions, no tailpipe, open air installation, and as i stated before, it was in the high 50's low humidity, and no more than 50 ft above sea level. I will state however that although a little dissapointing, a few pounds of push be damned, i'd rather have a weak engine that runs all the time, than one that runs strong some times. It's bulletproof reliable, and that's what matters most. Happy holidays to all, Greg
Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
slick121985

Due to the overwhelming number of PM's i've gotten, i figured i'd post it here. The turbine in question is a new (June 06) P-120. Greg
Old 12-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

I ran my Artes Falcon on one of those fish scales a few weeks ago.
Motor was mounted in an aircraft.

Gauge read 21.4 lbs

Taking into account the thrust loss of the pipe and wheel grab, I imagine it was putting out right around 23lbs.

I was hoping for 24
Old 12-12-2006, 07:20 PM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you mentioned 2 lbs. less thrust than advertised, were you referring to the advertised 26.5 lbs? Or were you told a higher thrust number?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:54 PM
slick121985

HotelSierra,

The JetCat USA website states " 28lbs @ 123K. The results from my test: 25.5lbs @ 125K.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there is going to be a sale hike on fish scales due to this thread . Now I know what to get my field bubbys this xmax.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 PM
pilott34

ORIGINAL: slick121985

HotelSierra,

The JetCat USA website states " 28lbs @ 123K. The results from my test: 25.5lbs @ 125K.
I had 24.6lbs out of mine...
Old 12-13-2006, 03:30 AM
P. Richards

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Get me a JetCat Rep. in here quick hehe this is fun, I own two JetCat Turbines now where is that fish scale?
Bob Wilcox or the Voice of Bob online please chime in anytime...

P. Richards aka Swat Team
Old 12-13-2006, 03:41 AM
Big Tony

I ALWAYS buy an engine with more thrust than is required as you can always turn it down and give the engine an easier life.

With all the variables which can change an engines thrust if the manufacturers quote figures at ISO etc then people way above sea level in hot countries will always be disapointed.

See living in england with its cold weather does occationally have its advantages we get more thrust out of the same engines te he te he.

Just my humble input

Ant
Old 12-13-2006, 04:05 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Slick,

I tested a P120 the other week and it was also 25lb. It was a cold day too.

Jason
Old 12-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Big Tony

Jason,

Was it old or new ??

Ant
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 AM
jason

Rutter,

It was a older 27lb one.

Jason
Old 12-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Big Tony

Jason,

I believe there was a simjet there doing 5k less revs (118 rpm) but the same thrust GOOD OLD SIMJET AYYY.

Ant
Old 12-13-2006, 09:10 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that testing the engine inside the aircraft is very effective. Here is a simple solution for testing your engine and power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57339.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	576365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79686.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	576366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19171.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	576367  
Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: WrenTurbines
There are accepted rules and tests for things like miles-per-gallon claims in car adverts because the car industry has regulatory bodies who make the rules and do the tests. The miniature jet industry does not have any national or international organisations with these powers.
The car industry (at least here in the US) isn't necessarily a good reference point for anyone who cares about truth and accuracy. Their "rules and tests" may be kinda standardised, but they are standardised on something that has little or no bearing on reality.

As of 2008 models, the fuel efficiency of all new cars in the US is having to be restated following a few gazillion complaints about the lack of reality in all published figures. The new figures (with no changes to the cars, just to the formulae used) are claimed to range from 10% to 30% lower fuel efficiency than the current figures.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gordon

You are bang on there, it's just the same in Europe, I have never had a car that would come within 10% of the published mixed cycle mpg and guess what? it was always LESS than the manufacturer's figures.

John
Old 12-13-2006, 09:38 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Miniflyer

ORIGINAL: digitech
i flew a Flash with a Wren SS
it had unlimited Vertical.
what does that tell us?.
That you're a wren dealer?

All jokes aside, i think Sara really has a point. The problem is finding an institution with which all manufacturers are willing to cooperate (also those who are knowingly cheating their numbers). The GTBA is a great point for reference, it's just nothing that has any influence on ads....
Also, a "test engine" can be selected so that it will accually produce great figures, whilst many of the production engines come not so close to these values....
Because of the "small" number of turbines sold compared to cars, i guess there is just no large economical interest in getting law enforcement on this subject...it remains in the hands of customers to see wether their product of choice is superior or not, or if they have reason to send it back to be re-worked to specs or given a refund....
do yourself a favour:

take the last jetpower magazine
take the latest RCJ magzine
take the GTBA figures and please try to discover what we arer saying here..
you will be spurised about the many different figures.
engines that suddnenly lose 300 grams of weight.in 3 different tests
engines that use 40% more as advertised.
all backed up by different people.
and these figures i found in just less then 10 minutes by just putting the adds and test together...
we should point to customers to read more about test rather then what is advertised.
but then most buyers will be to embarased to really tell the truth if they did not buy a product as promissed.
i remember being banned in the past for telling the truth....
so i wont go in that direction anymore.

happy reading!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:41 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Gordon

You are bang on there, it's just the same in Europe, I have never had a car that would come within 10% of the published mixed cycle mpg and guess what? it was always LESS than the manufacturer's figures.

John

yes but most of europe is bigger then glasgow...
with that cold and moisture in the air you get good milage ;-).
winter is the best time to sell a turbine i get most of the time 10% more thrust then advertised....
Old 12-13-2006, 10:31 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a question about one of the results from the table posted by robrow. Many engines were delivering the manufacturer's claimed thrust or more, e.g. the little Wren 44 putting out a bit more than the claimed 10lbs thrust, indicating that atmospheric conditions on the day were not disadvantageous. But the Wren Super Sport is recorded at 17lbs thrust compared to the 18lbs claimed. The reason this puzzles me is that Wren is very particular about making performance claims that everyone can expect to get, and not making claims based on one very good but rare engine. Is there an explanation why the Super Sport fielded by Wren themselves was not delivering 18lbs or 80N of claimed thrust?

Harry
Old 12-13-2006, 10:52 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: HarryC

I have a question about one of the results from the table posted by robrow. Many engines were delivering the manufacturer's claimed thrust or more, e.g. the little Wren 44 putting out a bit more than the claimed 10lbs thrust, indicating that atmospheric conditions on the day were not disadvantageous. But the Wren Super Sport is recorded at 17lbs thrust compared to the 18lbs claimed. The reason this puzzles me is that Wren is very particular about making performance claims that everyone can expect to get, and not making claims based on one very good but rare engine. Is there an explanation why the Super Sport fielded by Wren themselves was not delivering 18lbs or 80N of claimed thrust?

Harry
i was there and asked mike the same qestion.
i belive he answered "we toulk the engine this morning of the shelf and it was a pre final engine NOT ready for shipment , we just had no final engine to test"

that engine was running at a VERY LOW temperature i believe about 420 degrees if i remember correctly ( full throttle).
and Wren will change it until the minimum thrust is there and as advertised with a normal outside temperature.
i am sure everyone who owns a SS will tell you that they will have more thrust then advertised....(according to wren specs)
Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: digitech
that engine was running at a VERY LOW temperature i believe about 420 degrees if i remember correctly ( full throttle).
420C at full throttle! Barely alive!
Since it was turning at max rpm, how do you increase temperature and therefore I guess increase the pressure to increase the thrust, yet still keep the same rpm?

H
Old 12-13-2006, 11:27 AM
WrenTurbines

Yes - there is an explanation! I wondered who would notice that figure - well spotted, Harry.

Mike Murphy had two MW44s ready for the efficiency competition - engines he'd checked thoroughly. As you can see, the performance was slightly different despite the fact that they were from the same batch of engines. This is typical, no two engines are ever quite the same.
Richard Green, Wren engineer and GTBA member, was going with Mike to the competition. Shortly before they left work the day before, Mike said "I wonder if we should take a SuperSport?". They looked around but all the SuperSports had gone (not surprising, every one leaves as soon as it's been fully tested, there is great demand for them). Richard said "There's only the one I built this afternoon..." and Mike said "Oh, we'll take it." So they took an engine that hadn't been tested - and regretted it! The ECU was under-running, the tailcone was too big (it was running beautifully cool but down on power) and it would certainly not have gone out to customers in that condition. All engines undergo a series of test runs here and nothing leaves that isn't doing the quoted thrust. The team work on the engines until they are doing what they should, and an engine which doesn't meet the standard is taken apart and re-made.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines

(I started writing this 45 minutes ago but got interrupted by the phone and when I uploaded this I saw Sandor had already posted the explanation, but I'll leave my post here too.)
Old 12-13-2006, 11:37 AM
WrenTurbines

Harry,

In reply to your second question, there are a number of ways to increase the temperature. One is to make the tailcone smaller. I think there are other things they do too ... but I don't know what exactly, that's not my department and they don't tell me!

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Old 12-13-2006, 11:43 AM
jason

ORIGINAL: HarryC

Harry

Hi Harry,

my Supersport is producing between 19-19.5lb depending on the day. Its fitted on the back of a bobcat. Awsome little engine.

jason
Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: WrenTurbines
One is to make the tailcone smaller.
You make these things to individual sizes?!! I thought a machine would turn out a thousand tailcones the same and every engine gets exactly the same parts.

H.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.