Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine performance database

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine performance database

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine performance database

It has been a bit of a surprise to me to learn about the variance between claimed and actual performance of various model turbines. This is post is not intended to be a slam, and I would request that anyone who posts a reply not slam. Full disclosure - I own a P120 with about 85 flights in a Bobcat. It has been a great motor for me, very reliable, and whatever thrust it is producing, the Bobcat/P120 combo is a blast to fly. Having said that:

It would be highly useful if there was a database of consistent, reliable, accurate test info that could be used by us when shopping for a turbine. I am currently unaware of any such database other that the GTBA tests, and those tests appear to have a somewhat limited number of participants. It does appear that other info exists, such as tests by magazines, but the other test info does not appear to exist in one convenient database.

Does such a database exist? If not, could such a database be created? How would the test info be evaluated for accuracy before inclusion (GTBA and magazine tests might be acceptable without verification, but mfg. data could be problematic)? Where would the database be hosted? I doubt that RCU would want it here, but perhaps JPO? GTBA? Privately hosted website?

Again, no slams please, and thanks in advance for info/suggestions.

Regards,
Bob R
Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Turbine performance database

ORIGINAL: bobber

It has been a bit of a surprise to me to learn about the variance between claimed and actual performance of various model turbines. This is post is not intended to be a slam, and I would request that anyone who posts a reply not slam. Full disclosure - I own a P120 with about 85 flights in a Bobcat. It has been a great motor for me, very reliable, and whatever thrust it is producing, the Bobcat/P120 combo is a blast to fly. Having said that:

It would be highly useful if there was a database of consistent, reliable, accurate test info that could be used by us when shopping for a turbine. I am currently unaware of any such database other that the GTBA tests, and those tests appear to have a somewhat limited number of participants. It does appear that other info exists, such as tests by magazines, but the other test info does not appear to exist in one convenient database.

Does such a database exist? If not, could such a database be created? How would the test info be evaluated for accuracy before inclusion (GTBA and magazine tests might be acceptable without verification, but mfg. data could be problematic)? Where would the database be hosted? I doubt that RCU would want it here, but perhaps JPO? GTBA? Privately hosted website?

Again, no slams please, and thanks in advance for info/suggestions.

Regards,
Bob R
easy you just need one honnest guy
a testbench
and you send him your engine ,so they can run it.
must be a guy who has no connection with any manufacturer.
i for instance just found out that my testbench was showing less thrust then actualy did (gtba stand).
it was a 500 gram difference.
so now we need a honnest guy...
also we need users to send the engines and not manufacturers , they most of the time send very good engines that need a particular user.
no just one from a guy you know.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I believe what we are looking for is a standard throughout the industy. A standard way of specifying the thrust, fuel economy, weight that actualy gets met when an engine leaves any manufacutrers facility.

With the amount of attention latley on manufacturer specs compared to actual values i would hope to see some sort of standard being created.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

sandor has it, then we need a table to adjust back to a "standard" day. items bought off the shelf and tested. numbers gathered any other way would be bogus.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
rcdriver22
My Feedback: (1)

easy you just need one honnest guy
I think he might be called Tom[8D][8D] and has just retired as an editor with spare clip board and no much to do...... No seriously, the good thing about the GTBA day is that its a level playing field, testing 'like for like'. If its raining, cold, hot and dry its the same for everyone, I agree if many regular flyers turned out, with their own turbines of many varied makes it would certainly enhance the data produced and the day itself. Sandor if you can travel over then a few more UK guys might be press ganged to sign up. Mack as the UK Behotec rep always had something on test each year but sadly he isn't with us now.

Paul.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:09 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: digitech
also we need users to send the engines and not manufacturers , they most of the time send very good engines that need a particular user.
no just one from a guy you know.
Right on!!!!.

The person have to send his ECU, fuel tank, and filters, battery as all of them would have adverse effect on the outcome of the test.

A clogged fuel filter will not give you the proper reading. And a fuel tank rigged with small ID fuel tubing would also affect outcome of the test

The only problem I see with this is how are you going to protect yourself from liabilities resulting from receiving and running somebody else’s engine. I can see some unscrupulous individual sending you a faulty motor and claiming that it happened after you received and ran it

Old 12-15-2006, 05:30 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My take on this is that if you brand "X" turbine and it is performing like you want it to, be happy and go flying. Don't get bent out of shape if you bought a fish scale from Dollar General to test the thrust and it is putting out a 1/2 pound of less thrust than what it is supposed to.

There are too many variables here, so go fly, have fun and be safe.

Going to be 81 here tomorrow and guess where I'm going to be and it is not at home fretting if I'm getting the claimed thrust.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

FWIW, I was not suggesting in the original post that Consumer Reports style testing be undertaken. Big can of worms for many reasons. Moderators, please close or delete this thread so as to save bandwidth. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:32 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: bobber

FWIW, I was not suggesting in the original post that Consumer Reports style testing be undertaken. Big can of worms for many reasons. Moderators, please close or delete this thread so as to save bandwidth. Thanks.

Done