Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DUCTED FAN JETS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DUCTED FAN JETS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:59 AM
half blind
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DUCTED FAN JETS

Its amaseing, I didnt think anyone would be flying or building a DF Enforcer. I have been looking at one, in a local hobby shop for the past 10 months and today I decided to get it. THe plane has a OS 91 df, looks as if it has never been run, or run every little, it has S A, retracts, add RX & battery ready to go. Situwation is no one in town carries DF fuel. In the hobby shop I was told you can add castrol oil to reg glow fuel and it would be find - yes may be - but I dont know what % nitro would to use for this engine , 15% Powermaster, 5% Cool Power??, or what? What would be the ratio of castrol to a gallon fuel ?.
I walked away from the plane today because of the fuel issue, But Iam hoping someone can help me with this fuel mixing promblem . I would like to go back and get the plane and post pictures of it.
Thank you for anyone that can help me. THANKS
Old 03-04-2007, 04:27 PM
rocketman-RCU
My Feedback: (73)

I have built 7 of these thru the years and started with the mod. plans that were offered thru Flying Models magazine over 15 years ago. They show the front engine pod bulkhead at 7-9/16' in front of the hinge line. I used 1/4" basswod for the bulkhead supports and they are glued directly to the bottom sheeting which is 3/32 basswood in just the area of the jet pod. The Jet pod liner is plastic lamined card stock or just go buy a plastic laminated calender at the office supply store. I notch out a circular arc for the elevators to clear the pod. I also cut down the height of the fuse about 3/4' to help clear the tuned pipe & I widen the fuse for looks and to give more room for the throttle rod to exit the rear slanted bulkhead. I have lots of pictures of this one and others I have built if you need them. The 3rd pic is a Morris Hobbies Arrow 2 with the same jet pod. I guess that makes 8 aircraft. All the others have Spring Air retracts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98280.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	634895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73385.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	634896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47840.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	634897  
Old 03-05-2007, 05:16 AM
donniercjet
My Feedback: (10)

half blind,
you want a low nitro and a high oil content. i use 5% nitro,20% oil from byronfuels. (byrons is only 45 miles from me so its easy access)a hear alot o guys use a 5% nitro with 23%oil but i dont know where they get it. your LHS should be abale to order any type of fuel you want just ask them...
Old 03-05-2007, 10:25 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Tower sells Wildcat DF fuel http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...EL&S2=&S3=&S4=

Or go direct to Wildcat.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rocketman,
Thank you for the information. Your descriptions help a lot and the pictures even more. I see that I have to make the engine pod square to the building board even though the plane slopes downward. I have cut out the pod formers from light ply and balsa per the plans but have not assembled them to the fuselage yet. I will pick up some of that laminated card stock this evening. I want to finish the radio installation before I build the pod as I have to get creative with how I run the servos and the wires. I put the servos near the control surfaces instead of using nyrods.

I have not decided on how to finish the rear fuselage yet. I am permanently attaching the fuse to the wing so I will be building hatches to access the fuel tank and forward servos (throttle and steering). I am not thrilled at the prospect of using 1/64 ply to sheet the rear fuselage. It worked well in the front but I did not enjoy the process very much. I am already thinking about what I will do differently on my next one.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:36 PM
mowery1

Anyone here built a YA F-16A?? I just bought a kit from a local guy... I've never built a ducted fan model before... I've built several 1/4 scale prop planes but no jets... So any advice would be helpful.. Thanks, Rick
Old 03-05-2007, 09:58 PM
rocketman-RCU
My Feedback: (73)

What F-16 kit did you buy? Is it a Byron kit.
Regards, Gary
Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
mowery1

It's a yellow aircraft F-16A kit... i'm looking for somebody who has one to take some pic's of the engine compartment...servo locations...retract installation... anything else that would help in the construction... I'm definately a visual; person.. If I can see it.. I can build it.. thanks for any help with this project.. Rick
Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Gregor32

hi Rick, you could try shaun evans http://www.yellowaircraftplanes.com/Home.html he is the rep and seems very helpfull, he also frequents rcu under the name YellowAircraft.
if only there was a place to buy a YA f16 in Australia!
cheers Greg
Old 03-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Gregor32

does anyone know the best way to balance a ramtec impeller? where to remove weight? how critical is it? mine has a resonance at about 1/2 throttle.
thanks Greg
Old 03-06-2007, 08:30 AM
MMallory

I do not have pictures but have built a few Y/A jets. Do a search and you may get some pictures. Just be careful to use the proper glues for the kit if it is the greenish surface. Regular epoxy does nt stick to polyester.

If I remember correctly the Ramtec has removeable blades, just shift the heavy one 90 degrees and try again. You should be able to balance by moving the blades around.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 AM
1tblake

Members,

I have a Byron MIG-15 that I plan to finish up in the near term and anticipate using a Rossi .82 with fresh piston, sleeve, rod and bearings. I am curious if any body has experience with this setup and will it be suffeciant to power this bird with retracts or are the retracts like "putting perfume on a pig"?

Terry
Old 03-12-2007, 11:09 AM
MMallory

Terry,

Retracts are always nice. The Rossi has flown many Byron jets. If you can put in a remote needle and have fun.

Mark
Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 AM
chrigui

Historic photo of my TEAM......

http://www.webalice.it/jetflydemoteam/HISTORIC.html

Regard's
http://www.webalice.it/jetflydemoteam
Old 03-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

What ended up happening with your F-16?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Shaun,

I noticed on the F-14 1:9th on YA's website. What's the cost of the plane? The landing gear? Did you ever find out anything more on the one on here (RCU)? You can PM or email if you want to.

David
[email protected]
Old 03-14-2007, 02:51 PM
chrigui

hi...Shaun,

sorry but i don't understand!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:22 AM
obie1
My Feedback: (76)

Hello guys,
I have just purchased a K&B .82 ducted fan engine and I am looking for advise for what type of jet and fan unit this engine would be good for.
I am new to ducted fan jets but not to flying. I would appreciate any and all thoughts to help me.
Thanks
Rich O.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:08 AM
buchst

Terry,I had this model with Rossi 80 15 years ago and it was v. fast.I did have to move the main gear forward ,in line with optimum c.g. as rotation was difficult otherwise on a 300 ft strip.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Gregor32

hi, rich the k&b 82 was a good motor, strong and reliable. i think the ramtec or dynamax would be excellent choices for fans, for a plane i would be looking for a jet with a weight of up to 5kg many of the 91 size jets would be good if you can find them.
cheers Greg
Old 03-16-2007, 04:53 AM
obie1
My Feedback: (76)

Thanks Greg, this definitley helps me out. Most jets I have been looking at are either turbins or in the .91 range.
Rich O.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Obie 1,

I got a K&B .82 with my Top Gun Aircraft F-15 and it ran a Byron's fan unit. I wore out the K&B .82 and replaced it with an OS .91. You can find these planes on EBay, there was a Mig-29 (TGA) on there last week. I have a F-15 and a Mig-29 and both are great flyers, great planes for a first jet. Both will take off and land on a grass field, like my clubs. The motor also works well with a Dynamax fan, I sold my Ramtec before I ever connected anything anything to it so I really can't say how it works. CAUTION watch the heat on your motor, OS makes a large head that offer more cooling than the small head, the larger head is advised for all Byron fans.

David
Old 03-16-2007, 05:50 PM
jetjohn

This is a site which might be of interest.
www.colchestera1models.co.uk
their jets are designed for small fan units but also for
MW44 or similar.
Regards,
John C
Old 03-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Gregor32

just got back from flying with a bit of damage to my f20, i was on the 3rd flight and was having a blast, then it came time to land. as i was makeing my final approch i found that my throttle wasnt coming down far enough so i throttled up and went around only to discover i now had no throttle response at all and it was flat out. so i flew around flat out for another 4mins untill the fuel ran out . then i had to make a dead stick landing which didnt go as well as had hoped, i came in very heavy and bounced/ ballooned up and then nose dived cracking the nose and ripping the gear door and frame out, and causing slight damage to the wing tips and bent main gear wire legs. anyway after close inspection its all very repairable which is good news for me . the whole problem was caused by the lack of loctite on the throttle arm[X(] so now i have to find a replacement nut for the throttle arm.
hopfully this wont be difficult. so next time i will be using loctite on all the motor bits the require it. lesson learnt...
cheers Greg.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:58 PM
F-16 Skywalker

Obe1:
TurbaxIII is a good choice for a K&B.82 also thats what I ran mine with. K&B is no doubt strong and reliable but as others have had different fans with this engine its no suprise to me that this
engine may perform great with any 5 1/4 inch fan. if someone has had any undesirable performance with a certian eng/fan combo im sure they will help out and chime in here.
best of luck" Chuck"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.