Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How are your grass fields maintained????

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How are your grass fields maintained????

Old 01-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are your grass fields maintained????

This post is jet related,,,,, What maintance does your club or you do to get a fairly smooth field??? I mean something thats not going to rip off the gear every other time you make a good landing. The officers at our field refuse to roll the field. Should the field be rolled to maintain being level?? To me it's common sence to roll out the high spots. Please let me no what you guys do to keep from ripping off gear and tipping over. I will print out responses and present them at our next meeting. We don't have the privlage of a hard surface to tale off and land.

Thanks Guys

Hoss
Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How are your grass fields maintained????

why would a club not want to roll their field ? i live in upstate,ny and we get a lot of frost heaving over the course of winter and we have to roll the fields around here . it has no effect on grass growing unless you use a 50 ton roller after ever rain. you live in the north like i do and we can grow grass just about anywhere, weather we want it there or not. sounds like you have a bunch of older fellas that don't want anything even .60 size planes hahah i for one can say we have some very smooth grass fields here. matter of fact ,that's all we have so lighten up guys and roll the runway !! other people have to use the field too. hope that helps . Ps. why would have even invented them if they're not good for you lawn?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

If it's not rolled and high dollar golf course grade grass isn't planted and 100% maintained, your best option is to cover it with dirt and lay down some petromat.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (47)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We have a 400 ft. paved runway but are concerned about planes that run off the end of the runway. Plus some members can't hit the runway every time, or prefer the grass along side the runway. We roll the field every other year. We would normally borrow a roller that holds about 500 gallons of water and tow it behind a tractor. Since that option wasn't available this past season we rented a large driveable roller that is used for paving. I think it was 10 tons and had a vibrating feature. We took turns and went over everything about 3 times. It did a great job and cost us about $600 for the day with fuel.

Why are your officers against rolling? You could easily do a lot more than $600 in damage to a plane if you hit a rut.

Joe
Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Lil Hoss

Warbird, You hit the nail on the head,,,,, We have a older bunch of guys stuck in their older habits. Yes I live in a northern state with frost. I understand that there is a field in Fon du lac Wisconsin just north of me that fly jets all the time. Their field is like a pool table. I'm sure they roll theirs.

thanks
Hoss
Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
flyexperimental

At least once in the spring,usually 3 times a year.I fly out of an old grass strip 75x1400. I filled up an old 300-500 gallon fuel tank with 1.5 yards of concrete put chromolly pipe with spindles on the ends through center,tig welded frame out of 2x2 angle with a 2 inch ball coupler on end.Pull it with 4x4 truck.I have noticed that even a heavy rain will make it a little lumpy as the water moves through the grass.I keep the grass 2 inches or less.After it has been rolled you can tell a big difference just walking on it.It feels nice and flat with no lumps.I have been flying a boomerang off of it and the takeoffs and landings look like I am on asphalt,except for the fact that I slow down without the use of brakes.I have seen videos of jets taking off of grass and they seem to be getting bounced al over the place.Tha dosn't happen on my strip.I would think it is just a matter of time before something breaks.If you rolled it after the spring thaw I would think you could get by with a small roller from the farm store pulled behind a riding mower or ATV.It would sure be better than nothing.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
causeitflies

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

When we had a grass field we did as flyexperimental did except we welded two water heaters together and filled with concrete. Rolled the field at least every Spring and a time or two more if we could.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Bucshot
My Feedback: (16)

I fly at a small club in Watertown (Northern Jefferson County) and we roll our field every spring just after the frost breaks. 5 years ago, the field was like a roller coaster, you actually launched your plane off the bumps instead of taking off. After two years of rolling, the field is significantly improved. Since our field is adjacent to a private full scale runway owned by our field land owner, we roll his runway at the same time! Both the full scale and model runway are in much better condition. Insist on rolling.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
SPLIT S

We roll our field once a year; more if damage was done by the errant car or worse. ( We've had MUCH worse! ) No problems at all. You can do lots more damage to the grass with dull blades on a mower.

Dan
Old 01-16-2007, 09:33 PM
KingCobra2

At our field here in Florida, we have a plastic/nylon mesh put down for a landing and take-off strip!!!! This is about 100 foot by 20 foot and if you ever go to a plant nursery, you might see it under the plant areas or even in the isles you walk down. This is a very nice weed and grass blocker and made of plastic/nylon(easy on ruff landings and tires)!!!!!!!!!!!! Not very expensive and easy to stretch out and spike down.,,,,,, Scott
ORIGINAL: Lil Hoss

This post is jet related,,,,, What maintance does your club or you do to get a fairly smooth field??? I mean something thats not going to rip off the gear every other time you make a good landing. The officers at our field refuse to roll the field. Should the field be rolled to maintain being level?? To me it's common sence to roll out the high spots. Please let me no what you guys do to keep from ripping off gear and tipping over. I will print out responses and present them at our next meeting. We don't have the privlage of a hard surface to tale off and land.

Thanks Guys

Hoss
Old 01-17-2007, 12:44 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Hoss - I feel your pain. My club's grass field was completed in a rush, so it has lumps and ruts. It has been rolled numerous times and does seem to be slowly improving. Keeping it mowed also helps a lot - my field is mowed 2 times a week.

A lot depends on what size/type jets you plan on flying. You need 2.5" wheels or larger in my opinion. My Kingcat handled the field pretty good, but smooth landings are the key. Jets with knee struts (at least on the nose) work the best. Look how popular Jet-1A stuts are in Europe - also Robart now has trailing struts. You could just get a big L-39 & have no worries - those have truck suspension.

However smooth the grass, you'll still have people complaining about your burn spots - but that's whole other problem
Old 01-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Lil Hoss

Thanks a lot guys for the responses, I printed all of the responses and will summit them at our club meeting. To me a field should be rolled just to get rid of the high points. Our meeting isn't for another week, so if anyone else has a imput, that would great

Thanks again
Hoss
Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Nighthawk117
My Feedback: (41)

Hoss, A properly maintained field is where its at. A couple of seasons ago our field was destroyed by a grub infestation,so I brought to attention to the member a solution. I would have the field treated for the grubs, then toward the end of the season I spent over 8 hours using a fairway overseeder to reseed the field, applied fertilizer and its coming back quite nice. The only cost to the club was for materials, all my time was donated and so was the equipment, by me. I will again approach the members to do a complete fert. program with insecticide this spring, passing on my contractor cost on materials and I will do all the applications on my own time. Some of the other club members built a roller very similar to what was described in previous posts and the field does get rolled also. Should you have any questions give me a shout ! Good luck [sm=thumbup.gif]