Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tamjets F16 Limited Edition

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tamjets F16 Limited Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Warwick Laken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamjets F16 Limited Edition

Can anyone out there steer me in the right direction.

I am building the F16 and trying to install the nose retract unit that was supplied with the kit. The cylinder of the retract butts hard up against the inlet ducting and will not slide forward enough to allow the nose leg to retract. I have shimmed the leg to the maximum and allow the door to close. If I fit the air pipe to the cylinder the situation is worse.
Has anyone else had this problem and how was it overcome. I donot want to cut into the inlet ducting.

Warwick Laken
Old 01-26-2007, 02:10 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Tamjets F16 Limited Edition

I just reply to your email.
Anyways, I like to give you and everyone the tip how to over come this issue. I didn't mention in the instruction manual.
If you had the nose gear touch the inlet ducting.
There is two solution for this fix.

1. Cut the inlet lip about 1/4" back.This will allow the inlet go little forward. The more you go forward. The more clearance you get.
2. Sand the spacer wood few degree angle. This allow the nose strut till back and the aircylinder will drop about 1/8" to clear the inlet ducting.

I had done this many time. It is easy fix.

ORIGINAL: Warwick Laken

Can anyone out there steer me in the right direction.

I am building the F16 and trying to install the nose retract unit that was supplied with the kit. The cylinder of the retract butts hard up against the inlet ducting and will not slide forward enough to allow the nose leg to retract. I have shimmed the leg to the maximum and allow the door to close. If I fit the air pipe to the cylinder the situation is worse.
Has anyone else had this problem and how was it overcome. I donot want to cut into the inlet ducting.

Warwick Laken
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Goin West

Why not just include a trimmed inlet with the arf?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Trust me. If I let the factory doing the trimming. It is a nightmare.....
Beside not all kits have this problem. This got to do with the factory when they gluing the landing gear fomer. It only take 1/16" till to cause this problem. That is very hard to control in mass production. Beside, this is an ARF's.
Don't expect everything be perfect ARF's coming from china. If I can get everything done perfect in china. It would save me $30-$50K year.[:@]

ORIGINAL: Goin West

Why not just include a trimmed inlet with the arf?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Goin West

Nobody's expecting perfection. I was just thinking if you know the problem, and you know the solution, why not fix it or at least include the fix in the instructions. Now you're saying it's not a common problem, so ok.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:03 PM
BlackCloud
My Feedback: (12)

Not a problem at all on mine.

The instructions are very thorough already and like 60 pages long. Tam would have to write a novel if every possibilty was answered there.
I think its great he posted here a fix to someones problem. It could be something remembered for any other airplane you may be working on.
Tam, thanks for the tip even though I don't need it this time for mine but I'll remember the advice and may need it for some future project. I know I wouldn't have thought of trimming the inlet down. I would still be trying to rig up the mount somehow.

BC
Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Warwick Laken

I would like to add my thanks to Tam for his immediate response to my e-mail with help in this subject. I appreciate that not everything that is manufactured can be perfect first time, hence my reliance on this forum for help, as it has done meant times.
This particular model is of such high quality and detail that I did not want to spoil it with incorrect cutting that would spoil the overall outcome and look of the model.
One tip, I was fortunate enough that I did not put the carbon pin through the ducting, I was going to do that at the final assembly. If I had fitted the pin and then found the problem I would have 2 holes in the ducting where it is most visible.

Many thanks Tam
Old 01-27-2007, 08:35 AM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't expect everything be perfect ARF's coming from china.

The prices make a big difference here.