Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F14 on hold??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F14 on hold??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 02:31 AM
Aruba_Maverick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F14 on hold??

Hello JetFans

I've been reading on the forum on the turbine F14 (either Avonds/Hobby Barns or Yellow A) Great INFOs :thumbup: , but still have not heard or seen pic of this plane in flight.
I have been studying this subject for some time and maybe start with this project in the near future.

C Lim
Still working on the EuroSport
Old 02-20-2003, 03:49 AM
Jai Young Shim
My Feedback: (2)

Default My Tomcat Building

Hello, Lim

I am still building Tomcat with Avond's Plan but as this is not the project which can do overnight, I ask you to be patient. If you are going to start building, please go ahead. You may have some reference from my thread or other friends'one. I started the building since Oct.2001. As this is almost scratch building(except Plan), it took me such a long time. I have my occupation working 9-6 every day, I can work only night and weekend. In the weekend, sometimes, I have to fly my other birds. I am building 220cm Extra300S with 60cc Gas engine. I have Enforcer with Wren turbine. Two more planes.

I am planning to get final painting coat in near future and next with decals and flat coat to fix them.

My final problem is twin engine. I have one Wren 54 which is perfect condition. I decided to buy two J600 from PST but due to my finacial restriction, I have to sell this Wren engine.

I scheduled to have test flight around May this year but frankly doubt whether I can finish by that time. There are many restriction to focus building. Mostly, the accessaries are not easily bought here. I had to order every piece of materials from overseas, or should make it in the shop.

One friend in Hong Kong Mr.Aldous Yuen is building by same plan and already proceed quite much with CNC cut blocks. He is writing in my thread too. Please read the articles there carefully and let me or him know should you need any advice.

Good Luck to you!

Jai Young Shim

H
Old 02-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Aruba_Maverick

Default F14 coming Soon

Hi Mr Jai Young Shim

I have been reading your forum on building the F14 constantly and find it informative and uplifting.
I know this is a complex project and needs a lot of planning.

Was thinking if a glass fuse (jetmartusa) would be easier to fit all the engine and radio equipment than a buildup balsa kit ? Also less weight involved ?? What is your projected weight !

The plane might look big but there is not much space for the fuel unless one place that outside the jet ( wing tanks ) or I have to look for a fuel sipping turbine engine.

Again thank for the reply

BRG

C Lim
Dream on
Old 02-20-2003, 10:36 PM
mark4563
My Feedback: (6)

Default F14 on hold??

I will be starting my F 14 from the Hobby Barn plans soon. I'm working on getting my wood and some of the wing parts. Also to all those that are building from the Hobby Barn plans or will be. I soon should have prices on wing parts and custom landing gear. Just email me if your interested. I also would like to thank Jai Young Shim for all of his help with me in regards to this F14. I will keep everyone posted as I build, thanks

Mark
Old 02-21-2003, 07:36 AM
aldousyuen

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Lim,

Seems you're planning for the Year 2003 project...F-14? X35?

Building the F-14 from the Avonds plan is a very different story than the Y/A or JetMart. It involves a lot of patience of planinng, sourcing and constructing. But you will get a lot of satisfaction with that (if you're a hands-on guy that enjoy both flying and the course of constructing).

I have epoxy/polyester kits and other ARF kits, but was inspired by Mr. Jai Young Shim and have started building the model. As a matter of fact I enjoy it very much.

Aldous.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:57 PM
Aruba_Maverick

Default Aldous

Hi Mr Aldous.

Yes these are some of the ideas in my head
I'm looking at the scale size of the F14 to make installation less cluttered. ( I have the F14 plans form hobby barns )
Did some planning in installation but it looked kind of cramp with the scratch build plane until I started reading on Jai Young Shim F14 forum.

My dad bought a 1/7 or 1/8 scale F14 from a company in California 15-20 years ago with a strange looking fan unit ( aluminum's shroud and S-shape blades fan ) . It was big ( about 35 lbs.) but my dad had a lot of problems setting up and sync the rossi engines. It could not lift off cause of the motors. Eventually it was sold.

So how far are you with both the F14 and F35 (Keep us posted)

C. Lim
Dream ( What do you think Design a home build hydraulic operated flight simulator but instead of computer generated image , use a r/c plane with video,telemetry downlink. feasible but 5-10 years building time??
Old 02-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Aldous

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aruba_Maverick
[
My dad bought a 1/7 or 1/8 scale F14 from a company in California 15-20 years ago with a strange looking fan unit ( aluminum's shroud and S-shape blades fan ) . It was big ( about 35 lbs.) but my dad had a lot of problems setting up and sync the rossi engines. It could not lift off cause of the motors. Eventually it was sold.

Aruba ,
That was the plane that Lenard Van Zant designed - it did fly - but only 60mph -but with modern turbines.........I liked it cause it was 10ft long.I have not heard from Lenard in 15yrs.........

Jackjet
Old 02-22-2003, 05:27 AM
aldousyuen

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Lim

I would like to build fucntional flap for the F-14. It took a while for me to source and order the 6mm, 7mm carbon rods and laser cut flap hinges.

The X35 building also goes well. I'm for waiting laser cut parts so I can do maiden flight with .91 D/F first to verify the CG and airworthiness. My friends will also build 2 other X35s with the laser cut parts. There will be a few test flying in one to two months time.

Cheers.
Aldous.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:18 AM
mark4563

Default F14 on hold??

Aldousyuen,

Hi, I'm going to build the flaps also for mine. I'm still working on getting my wood cut. I plan on adding as many features as I can cause I think it's gonna be alot of fun building. I have read your posts here and have looked to them many times for advice. Thank you for everything, I can't wait to get building,

Mark
Old 02-22-2003, 06:42 AM
aldousyuen

Default F14 on hold??

Hey Mark,

It's great to hear that someone is building the F-14. Welcome to the party. In fact I'm building 2 (one to be placed in the office for display so I want to put in everything).

Do you also build the leading edge flap. I intended not to for the flying one as I'm uncertain how it affects the flying characteristics.

Mr Jai is very helpful and knowledgable of this 'hand build' masterpiece. I blocked my diary to attend his maiden flight. Please share with us all your building experience.

Wishing you every success in building this.

Cheers. Aldous.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:14 PM
mark4563

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Aldous,

I'm not sure if I am going to build the leading edge flap. I am on the verge of getting my wood now and hopefully some wing parts. I am going to build the te flaps and probably rudders. I wanna power mine with twin turbines. I will keep you posted as to where I am at in the construction as well as letting you know I have any hang ups.

Mark
Old 02-24-2003, 02:27 AM
aldousyuen

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Mark,

The plan showed only one size of the trailing edge flap hinge, but the length and height should be decreasing from root towards tip.

I have the flap hinges drawn up for laser cut with 3mm birch ply, and strength them with carbon fibre. That should provide good rigidity for flying with turbines. You may consider doing the same.

I'll build the flap part this week and take some picts to share with you.

Hope this helps.
Aldous.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:40 AM
mark4563

Default F14 on hold??

Hi,

Does anyone know a good machinist where I can get the wing parts made??? I tried a guy here locally but he doesn't respond to emails from me anymore. Anyway anyone with any info would be great, thanks

Mark
Old 02-28-2003, 08:17 AM
aldousyuen

Default F14 on hold??

Mark,

The machinist that machines my aluminum (6061 grading) wing pivot parts is excellent. The paid US$120 inclusive of material cost.

We are in Hong Kong. I have no idea about the shipping cost (The parts is a few hundred grams). If your are interested, I can contact the machinist and revert.

Here is a photo of the parts.

Rgds. Aldous
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59096_7137.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	35583  
Old 02-28-2003, 11:04 AM
mark4563

Default F14 on hold??

Aldous,

Yes I am interested, if you could see how much it might cost to ship here I would be really interested. I am leaving for Florida today so I might not have any email for a while but I'm trying to set up some email for the road. I will be back in a week and a half and I'm gonna start building. Thanks

Mark
Old 02-28-2003, 12:13 PM
aldousyuen

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Mark,

I'll also be business travelling to Australia next week, but have Email access there. Anyhow, I hope the machinist can give me a quote including shipping tomorrow.

Welcome to the party and enjoy.

Cheers. Aldous.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:42 PM
mark4563

Default F14 on hold??

Thanks Aldous, I really appreciate it

Mark
Old 03-03-2003, 06:48 AM
aldousyuen

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Mark,

I usually ship the documents via Fedex, but is fairly expensive. It calls for US$40 - 50 to ship the wing pivot. The machinist suggested to ship via Speedpost, a service offerred by Postal Office here. The estimate cost is around US$20-30.

The machinist said he's now familiar with the cutting and can offer 10% discount.

Cheers. Aldous.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:57 PM
mark4563

Default F14 on hold??

That sounds like a good deal. What parts am I gonna be getting? Is it all the machined parts for the wing and the parts to connect to the motor to make the wing pivot? Thanks, tell your machinist that I will probably go with him. Email me at [email protected] Thanks for the help.

Mark
Old 03-04-2003, 07:19 AM
aldousyuen

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Mark,

These are what I got, didn't include the parts connecting the motor. The machinist can machine that also and I expect US$15-20 will do.

I'll call the machinist when I'm back home.

Aldous.

Name:	60200_7137.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	35584  
Old 03-04-2003, 08:05 AM
Carlos Artigas

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Aldous,

My name is Carlos and I'm starting my F-14 here in Spain, and i'm really interested in all the help you are offering with your mechanics. May be that if more of us are interested in your proposal we can even get better prices.

Insert me in the list, I want one unit.

Best regards

my e-mail: [email protected]
Old 03-04-2003, 08:39 AM
aldousyuen

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Carlos,

I saw how the mechanic machined the parts. It's more effective to machine multiple parts. I'm currently on biz trip but will be back home this weekend. Will call the mechanic and revert a.s.a.p.

Just curious what king of powerplants you will use. The mechanic said he can machine 7075 aerograde parts. Mine will be powered by 2 MW54 so 6061 grade is good enough.

BRgds. Aldous.

Name:	60213_7137.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	35585  
Old 03-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Carlos Artigas

Default F14 on hold??

Hi Aldous,

I can't affort turbines at this time, I'll use two Dynamax or Ramtec Fan units with OS .91 if I'm able to find them. So I also think that 6061 grade is good enough, even to good.

Thanks, regards.

Carlos
Old 03-04-2003, 10:11 AM
raiki

Default F14 on hold??

Aldous

I am in Australia and am just about to start this F14 ( I have the plans). My laser cutter is about to cut my kit so balsa and ply are under control but I would be interested in the machined parts.

Could you let me know the cost of the machined parts in the Photo above and a rough estimate to Australia. I can probably find another 2 blokes in Australia to share the shipping cost and maybe a machining discount for 3 of every part.

(PS. I am using 2 Viojetts with KBV82s)
Old 03-04-2003, 12:52 PM
mark4563

Default F14 on hold??

Those parts look great, Yes I would also like the stuff for the wing mechanism for the swing. Ok when you get back give them a call and let me know. Thanks

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.