Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help I. D. This Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help I. D. This Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 02:23 AM
mobileraptor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I. D. This Aircraft

Need a little help i.d. this aircraft, I believe it to be a A-4 skyhawk but would like to know the manufacture. hopefully I can get these images to post.

It has a fairly large cheater hole in the bottom of the wing.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:00 AM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

Default A4

Looks like an old Jet Hanger/Violet kit. If the fuse is a yellow tint
than it would be . If not it is an older Yellow kit, the fuse will have a green tint. Both are about 54" fuse and 40 ws. Byron also made one again green tint but was larger, don't know how much.
But it is an A-4
Old 02-21-2002, 04:48 AM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It looks like you have a Jet Hangar/Violett A-4. They have one-piece wings. The Yellow kits have foam wings that join the fuselage in butt joints at the wing root. The old Yellow version had wings that glued permanently to the fuse and I believe the new ones are detachable at the wing root via aluminum blade spars.
I fly an older Yellow A-4 with scale wings on OS 77/Dynamax. It flys great!
Good luck with it!
Tom
Old 02-21-2002, 01:41 PM
mobileraptor

On this model the wing are removable. Pegs in the front bolts in the back.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:29 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's the setup on the Jet Hangar/Violett A-4.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:42 PM
Jetputz

Default BVM/JHH A-4

TJK is correct. That's a BVM/JHH A-4. It has a one-piece removeable wing which is a feature of the BV/JHH A-4. The aux inlet is much bigger than it needs to be...The BV/JHH A-4 is a good flying airplane.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:35 PM
mobileraptor

Understand all I have is the plane. No drawing instruction or plans, It Appears the the plane is set up for a 6" tractor fan with the fuel tanks going one bay aft of the engine compartment. If any body has pictures of an assembled/completed version of this kit or ans suggestion as to what parts it needs, fuel tank size landing gear and the such I'll take all I can get. I am currently finishing up a scratch built regal eagle (my first) jet. Right noe it's around 11 pounds and all it lacks is throttle and mixture servos and batteries.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:36 PM
Jetputz

I would suggest calling Larry Wolfe from Jet Hangar Hobbies. He's the manufacturer of that kit and I'm sure he would be willing to help and answer any questions you may have. Here is their website www.jethangar.com His email is [email protected]
Old 02-22-2002, 04:21 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default BVM / Jet Hanger A-4

I have a BVM A-4 kit that I have not started yet. This is the same kit that Larry Wolfe sells at Jet Hanger Hobbies. It uses a Turbax 1 fan unit and K&B 7.5,.48 or OS. 46 ducted fan engine. These are 5" fans, Yellow aircraft calls for a .65 to .91 engine and Dynamax fan in the same size plane. I have heard that they both have about the same speed due to the extra weight of the bigger engine-more fuel onboard. The extra weight would also affect landing speed & handling. I also have a Regal Eagle I've been flying for the past two years, it's a great flying plane. If I can be of any help, let me know. I have been collecting info on the A-4 and could send you some pics.
Old 02-22-2002, 05:03 AM
Jackjet

Default Re: BVM / Jet Hanger A-4

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Barrow
I have a BVM A-4 kit that I have not started yet. This is the same kit that Larry Wolfe sells at Jet Hanger Hobbies. It uses a Turbax 1 fan unit and K&B 7.5,.48 or OS. 46 ducted fan engine. These are 5" fans, Yellow aircraft calls for a .65 to .91 engine and Dynamax fan in the same size plane. I have heard that they both have about the same speed due to the extra weight of the bigger engine-more fuel onboard. The extra weight would also affect landing speed & handling. I also have a Regal Eagle I've been flying for the past two years, it's a great flying plane. If I can be of any help, let me know. I have been collecting info on the A-4 and could send you some pics. [/QUOT

Dave,
I have seen the A-4 fly with a .91 and a .45-and there is a BIG speed difference-30 or more mph-use the bigger engine.

Jackjet
Old 02-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

From the research I've done on the BVM, JHH & Yellow A-4's, their all basically the same plane. The A-4 has gotten a bad reputation as a bad handling plane. I've talked to many people who dog it, "snaps in a turn without any warning", "snaps while landing with little or no warning" Etc... The one thing all the bad rep's have in common, heavy plane 11 to 14 lbs. and / or, Yellow A-4 with big engine. I also understand the Yellow does not have the washout that you build into the wing of the BVM/JHH. That also seems to be a BIG factor, as some have put the bigger engine in the BVM/JHH, and not had as many problems. The big engine/Dynamax adds 1- 1/2 lbs., not to mention the extra fuel, which ups the wing loading dramatically for this design. I would gladly give up a few mph for a good handling jet, that will last more than one or two flights. If I want all out speed, I'll get out my diamond dust, I haven't seen a ducted fan jet that could hold a candle to it. All this information has been gathered by me, over the last year or so, from many different forums, jet list, conversations, etc... Keep the weight under 9-1/2 lbs., don't let it loose too much speed in the turns, if you want more top end speed, sell it and get a plane designed to carry the extra weight.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:31 AM
mobileraptor

I'm Working becomming a Jet Jock With a Regal Eagle nearing completion and the above shown A-4. I thought some of you might like to see what I'm using for a jet trainer. It is called a Crusader II. It is a Cranked Arrow, mid engine Pusher with a fully articulating Canard wing. It Also has tricycle retracts with a gear door on the nose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3633_1258.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	3038