Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BARF and a P-120, somebody?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BARF and a P-120, somebody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:36 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default BARF and a P-120, somebody?

Any of you BARF guys put a P-120 in one yet? I got a couple of BARF's comin' my way and I have some spare 120's that need a home.

I see Dave Wilshire is having a ball with his P-80's, but I got p-120's that are awful lonely[&o]..

Raf
Old 06-01-2007, 01:44 PM
JetCatJimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BARF and a P-120, somebody?

Old 06-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Shui
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Raf,

I know it's not what you want to hear, but if it were me, P-60 all the way in the Bandit ARF!! A lot of fun with this combo! Once it gets up to speed, its pretty fast, and light!

If you put the 120 in it, I'd highly recommend a speed limiter or detune it a bit to 20lbs or so.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
ravill

Dave,

I don't need to go over 200mph, my super Balsa Bandit had a P-70 in it and I would get up and going after a long "scale" take off and one lap. I want to get up to step right after lift off.

I was thinking I could be smart enough to back off the throttle when she was up and going, but I did play with the idea of a speed limiter.

Do you think this would/could be possible?

Raf
Old 06-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Shui
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Raf,

It's possible yes, but without a limiter and having a full power P-120, be time you throttle back, it'd be hauling way past 200 in 98% of the cases (IMO).

There's always a sacrifice to be made with any combo, none are perfect for every person out there, typically your flying style will dictate what you would need/want most.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ravill

Dave,

I don't need to go over 200mph, my super Balsa Bandit had a P-70 in it and I would get up and going after a long "scale" take off and one lap. I want to get up to step right after lift off.

I hear ya. My B-ARF has an older generation P70 in it, and I'd prefer more oomph in the acceleration department so that I don't have to be so gentle on the takeoff.

It's an enormous contrast to watch my 120 powered Bobcat vs my P70 powered Bandit - based on the airframes, the Bobcat is supposed to be the "trainer" jet, and the Bandit the hotrod, but due to the powerplants it's actually the other way around - the Bobcat is something I can start having lots of fun with the moment the wheels break ground, whereas the Bandit initially feels more like flying my old DF powered Byron F16 ... be REALLY gentle on the long scale-like climb-out, careful first turn, etc.

I guess that the lower power can make you a better pilot in some respects since you can't just rely on raw power, but it just aint as much fun, is it ?

Gordon
Old 06-01-2007, 04:28 PM
ravill

Gordon, when I saw you maiden your BARF, I noted that it took off with more authority than my SBB. I just thought it was because my SBB was a PIG. I never weighed her, but I'm sure I was over 20# (smoke, airbrake, 8611a's all around, UP3 valve, etc...).

I was able to fly at full throttle, the whole flight, in my SBB with the P-70. I find that my kingcat is the same way with a P-120, a long "scale" take off and slow first turn, then turn and burn!

I don't mind using throttle control, my scale jets need throttle management. That being said, I'm usually worried about just ripping the wings off the scale birds. But in the BARF, I'm worried about ripping the wings off, while it is still hauling away from me at just over 199.98 mph , because I won't be able to slow down fast enough.

I was thinking about trying a speed limiter, and it sounds like I just might have to. I would like to know if other people have tried the 120/BARF combo and what they thought about it.

Raf
Old 06-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Gordon Mc

The B-ARf is quite a bit lighter than the SBB, so there will definitely be a difference there.

If you want to try a speed limiter - I have a Jetcat speed limiter that I bought a while ago and never used. You are welcome to give it a shot if you want.

BTW, I intend being out at Tracy on Sunday for the club mtg - are you gonna be there ?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:54 PM
ravill

I'd like to fly this weekend, but I think I gotta put in some girlfriend time. I might take you up on your limiter offer.

Do you think 8611a's will fit in the elevators? The mounting holes look way to small.

Raf
Old 06-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Gordon Mc

I don't recall what size the holes were .. I just used whatever servo uncle Bob recommended, and it fit fine.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

I'd like to fly this weekend, but I think I gotta put in some girlfriend time. I might take you up on your limiter offer.

Do you think 8611a's will fit in the elevators? The mounting holes look way to small.

Raf
Dude; You can fit 8611 but you have to cut into the stab skin like I told you last night. You may try a 9411 with no skin cutting.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:03 PM
ravill

ORIGINAL: Ehab

Raf
Dude; You can fit 8611 but you have to cut into the stab skin like I told you last night. You may try a 9411 with no skin cutting.

I'm sorry but did you guys read something?[&:][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

j/k Ehab, I'm just asking other people to see what they've done.

Raf