Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Problems with my FB Rafale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Problems with my FB Rafale

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:07 PM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Problems with my FB Rafale

I have recently bought a Fei Bao Rafale, actually, i bought 2 RTF planes, one Sport scheme and the other Camo. I have started assembling the Sport version and came across a few issues:
6 out of the 14 hinges broke in pieces when i tried to gently open gear doors. it seems that they had been installed and received a coat of paint and became brittle.
Second issue i came accross, is related to retracts units, main retracts do not seem to be very strong and there is a lot of play while they are in open position (they move back and forth and are not rigid), furthermore, when i tried to operate system, i was not able to retract the gears and i was hearing a whisling sound. At first, i thought that i had a leak in the pipe ssystem, but soon discovered that problem came from one of the main legs which was leaking air, although unit would open and lock if air is blown through front nipple, it was not retracting when air was blown through side nipple (the other main and nose retract were retracting ok).
I have dismantled defective unit but did not try to open main cylinder, view i did not know if same could be opened and i didn't want to force things up.

Can anyone advise, if they have experienced such isses or ultimately, can provide some help on how to solve this problem?
Thanks. Dany
Old 06-01-2007, 03:14 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problems with my FB Rafale

you might want to spray some soap water on the cylinder piston shaft and see if there is any bubbles coming from there. When I got my Rafale, it had a small air leak there and I just replaced the o-ring.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:20 PM
extra 300

BirdofpraY,

Thanks, can you open the cylinder (unscrew) or is it sealed? how should i proceed and prevent additional damages.
On the other hand, did you experience any play in the main units while in the locked position? They seem very week and i don't think they will wistand a rough landing.

Thanks again for your input.
Dany
Old 06-01-2007, 03:37 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

my retracts are the red anodized ones and they unscrewed. As for play there was alittle play but not enough to cause concern. Do you have a picture of you gear?
Old 06-02-2007, 12:51 AM
extra 300

BirdofpraY,

I guess you had Tam's retracts on. Mine are ororiginal FeiBao ones. I'll take some photos today.
Thanks. Dany
Old 06-02-2007, 01:24 AM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Air Cylinders are quite simple, don't be afraid to unscrew the cap and check it out. Maybe an O ring got stuck somwhere and you are loosing preassure.
Too much play is not good, but a little play is normal in all retracts.

Finally, call your dealer for warranty...

Michel
Old 06-02-2007, 01:58 AM
maverick5269

Hi Extra

I've got the same problem with the door hinges...
You don't have to tighten the screws so strong.
And the best way to avoid this problem is to put a drop of epoxy glue between the hinge and the door to increase the contact surface ( the door is concave) and tighten the screw normally.
I also had to reinforce the harm hinge with a piece of hard wood for safety reason.

Same problem with the gear cylinder... I had to replace the O ring and put some ceramic grease on the cylinder piston shaft (it's in fact a lubrication problem).
Drop also some grease on the axis of the mecanic to avoid mecanical blocking.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:44 AM
extra 300

thanks to all for your input. I was able to unscrew cylinder and found the O ring out of its place. This problem was solved. However i still don't like the play in the play in retracts while in locked position. Is there anything that should be done to reduce this play??

Thanks. Dany