Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DECALS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DECALS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:15 PM
dbateman
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DECALS

I have a set of JHH decals for their A-4. I want to shrink them down to 2/3 of their current size for my son's A-4 by Jepe. I want a waterslide decal on 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. I have 2 decal sheets that i want to reproduce. I have called every copy service in my area and a guy that does decals and have got zip. most printers refuse to use any kind of paper other than their own stuff. The Decal guy said you need a sheet with laquer film, but even with that most decals are vinyl stick ons which are not an option on scale models as far as i'm concerned. I can get decals from Tailormade but they are very expensive. there has got to be a way. Doug
Old 06-02-2007, 12:24 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DECALS

Doug
if your that concerned about scale fidelity, why not use paint masks.. If It were me , spend the bucks, and go with PROMARK Or Tailormade..
Semoer Fi
Old 06-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Hustler58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to. http://www.micromark.com/ Look for Decals. And print them yourself. You can use any printer. But you have to spray them with Fixative after you print them or they will run. Or clear lacquer.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Terry Holston

I used the decal kit you can get from Testors (The Hobby paint people) on my new Teerific Models Micro Mig-29. I had to print a few samples on my printer to get the correct size, but it worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73407.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	696453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61261.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	696454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60260.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	696455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88641.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	696456  
Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug, I just visited the Cal-Graphx site today, and they seem to be up to a challenge like this. Have not used them, so can't give a first-hand endorsement. Might be worth an email inquiry...

http://www.cal-grafx.com/index.htm
Old 06-05-2007, 11:59 PM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

I needed scale decals. Forget the $200 price tag from all the known folks. Sure, they may think they are the only guys in town, but guess what? They are not! I hit the local indoor flea market. Found the people who do decals for cars, cycles, etc. They just happen to use the same decals that the full scale folks do, all 3-M stuff. They sized the decals and printed them for $95! It was eight sheets of decals. Then I went to the local speed shop that does all the car decals. Found the same materials and pricing. When you get away from the "hobby" people, the price gets reasonable! The ones I had made are the exact same as the Air Force uses. Same decal, same material. Hope this helps!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:26 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For really good quality decals you cannot beat Ralf at Taylormade Decals. I recently discovered his products and can honestly say it is one of the best and easiest to use items I ave found. He gives you everything you need to make them look right and go on correctly.
I have the decal paper and a high quality color printer, and I also have the dry transfer system and color laser printer and there is no way I can reproduce the quality of his decals. They have no show through of the base colors. They are extremely tough and have vibrant colors. He answers his emails and ships pretty quickly.
Tommy
Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will probably spend $40 at www.tailormadedecals.com for a small EDF Jepe F-16, that's for a complete set of custom decals and the solution, etc. The quality will be just as good or better than the US well known players, and quite a bit better than you can do at home unless you have been doing this for years - and since you are asking, I'll be you haven't been

I recently made an order to Tailormade for a larger jet, 80 inch span, 80 inches long - and all the decals including large Royal Navy Roundels and numbers came out to $90 Euros including shipping, or about $120. That is the "setup fee" for most places and you haven't even started paying for materials, shipping, colors, other fees, what have you...
Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 PM
teebox11

My original set of decals came from Taylormade. They were for a giant Air Force jet. The set was only four sheets, and the whole set was less than the full set from the Air Force, which took eight sheets, both wet and dry.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM
squirt!

ORIGINAL: teebox11

I needed scale decals. Forget the $200 price tag from all the known folks. Sure, they may think they are the only guys in town, but guess what? They are not! I hit the local indoor flea market. Found the people who do decals for cars, cycles, etc. They just happen to use the same decals that the full scale folks do, all 3-M stuff. They sized the decals and printed them for $95! It was eight sheets of decals. Then I went to the local speed shop that does all the car decals. Found the same materials and pricing. When you get away from the "hobby" people, the price gets reasonable! The ones I had made are the exact same as the Air Force uses. Same decal, same material. Hope this helps!

Have any contact info?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 AM
teebox11

I'll see if I still have the numbers for the folks.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I can come up with waterslide stuff if supplied with decent scans. Got myself one of those magical machines a while back....

Since i'm wrapped up full-time don't expect to have them within 2-3 days though....i might need that in weeks. But i don't do this as a living, so i'm only charging material price. (Usually no more than 15 EUR per sheet)

Best regards
Hank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65693.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	701729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29809.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	701730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92316.jpg