Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang XL2 Wing tip rods - mounting question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang XL2 Wing tip rods - mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:35 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Boomerang XL2 Wing tip rods - mounting question

Just putting the finishing touches on my new Boomerange XL2 kit. As everyone knows who owns the new style Boomerang, each wing section has two rods that screw into the wingtip. These wingtips with their rods then push into the fuse. These rods are held in place to the fuse. by two small machine screws on each side that are tightened from the top basically compressing the rods. It may just be me but I am not comfortable with the wing tips being held together by 4 small screws. Also, the rods screw into the wintips themselves. Should I glue those rods in or just leave it unglued so that I can remove the rods. Seems like to me that over time screwing those rods in and out will eventually create a failure point.

Has anyone had a problem with this? Am I just being paranoid? Would it would be better to drill out the rods and run a bolt all the way through the wing and bolt it on both sides? Or, should I just accept this as the way it was designed?

Any comments?

Andy
Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Boomerang XL2 Wing tip rods - mounting question

Andy, I can assure you this method of wing retention is more than adequate for this airframe. Just do as the instructions say, don’t worry, go fly.

m
Old 06-03-2007, 03:09 PM
jetpower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for storage leave the aluminium rods in the wing if you remove them every tiime for storage the threads will wear out just leave them in .
as for wing retension wit the four screws on the top of the wing center section .
don't worry your wings won't come of
made almost 200 flights with my boomer XL not a single problem with it
regards peter
Old 06-03-2007, 08:30 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

bro'

I just put the 75th and 76th flight today on my olympus / AT 450 powered boomer. I fly a fairly reserved profile but have put a few G's on the bird. the wing retention method is capable of holding it together.

good luck

buck