Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hitec servos and jet models...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hitec servos and jet models...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 AM
S_Ciambra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec servos and jet models...

Hi,
are the HS-5645 MG and the HS-5985 MG a good choice for jet models?
Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hitec servos and jet models...

I can't answer for both, but I can attest after running numerous tests that the Hitec 5645 is just about the worst servo I have ever seen when it comes to centering on a control surface.

I had bought a few of them a few years ago, and ended up using them as retract servos in my models till I was out of them. And it was questionable to me even in that application, I should have just thrown them away.

FWIW.

Sean
Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search for these servos you will find as much info as you can stand on this subject.

Sean, hows the build going?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
S_Ciambra

Hi Sean,
thanks for your reply...
And the HS-5985?
Regards
Old 06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
seanreit

Mike, I'm ordering radio equipment no the new project today. Should be stuffing servos by the end of the week and making things work.

Once the wings were glassed and attached to the model, found out that the foam airfoil was a few hairs too thick. Flyable for this model, but future ones will have a thinner airfoil to match the fuse. It's about a 32nd each side, but you can see and feel it.

I'll be fitting engine this week to get measurements on a pipe. Should make Dallas no problemo.

We hit the lake all day yesterday, you got to find some time off to have fun bro.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:23 AM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Hi Salvatore, not sure but if the 5985 are the ones with the carbonite gear i will not use it in a jet model. I did a search in that subject before and get to my own judgment. For ht servo I can recomend you to look for the 5955 instead.

rgs
Alejandro
Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 AM
SECRET AGENT

Salvatore, what jet are you thinking of using these servos on and for what application (elevator, flaps etc??). I know some people have had problems with 5645s but I used them in a DF jet with no problems, they might not be the best choice for all applications. I have no personal experience on the 5985s. Good luck.

Sean, help me win the lottery and I'll have more fun, HA! I have a couple days off coming, I'll call you.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
S_Ciambra

ORIGINAL: avicom

Hi Salvatore, not sure but if the 5985 are the ones with the carbonite gear i will not use it in a jet model. I did a search in that subject before and get to my own judgment. For ht servo I can recomend you to look for the 5955 instead.

rgs
Alejandro
Hi Alejandro,
no, they have the metal gears.
The 5955 seems me exaggerated for my model...
Regards

Old 06-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: seanreit

I can't answer for both, but I can attest after running numerous tests that the Hitec 5645 is just about the worst servo I have ever seen when it comes to centering on a control surface.

I had bought a few of them a few years ago, and ended up using them as retract servos in my models till I was out of them. And it was questionable to me even in that application, I should have just thrown them away.

FWIW.

Sean
I found the same with the 5625. My trim was all over the place and would not center until I switched them out for 5945MGs. In contrast, the 5945MG, I considered one of the best servos out there when they were still manufacturing it.

The newer digitalis have a Karbonite gear, but I'm not sure if its a load bearing gear (please correct me if I'm wrong). Makes me want to take one apart and see...

After the fiasco Hitec went through with the Karbonite gears, I can't see any reason in them pushing for the use of that material in any servo, let alone using it for marketing new servo models. Strange... Now, I'm a Hitec servo user in all my jets and most prop planes, but to see a company tell everyone that their Karbonite servos are really strong, but change their tune completely once a bunch have been sold and failed, then not offer a metal gear retrofit option; that's really disappointing. I hope the story isn't going to repeat itself, since I have a pair of the new 5985MGs on a shelf looking for a project.

Kelly
Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 AM
S_Ciambra

ORIGINAL: SECRET AGENT

Salvatore, what jet are you thinking of using these servos on and for what application (elevator, flaps etc??).
Hi Secret Agent,
they serve me for the elevator, ailerons and flaps for a SkyJet with a Digitech Trudo 130 (SimJet 3000) turbine.
But if the 5645 is not all right I could choose the 5985 MG...
Regards
Old 06-04-2007, 11:00 AM
SECRET AGENT

Salvatore, I have been impressed by the specs of the 5985MG so I think that would be a better choice between the two but again I have no personal experience with this servo. Maybe someone who has actually used this servo will chime in. I like the thought of having as much power on these surfaces as I can afford (or fit).

Regards
Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
seanreit

Kelly, it drives me nuts to see a guy like you have problems with Hitec and then see you keep buying and using their products.

I have stuck with JR from almost day one, and personally have never had one single problem.

The only disappointment I ever had was one day on my kingcat, the flap servo, a JR analog 2721 didn't seem to have the same umph it used to. The airplane had well over 200 flights by then so I sent it in, I can't remember what they did, but it was free and they sent it back to me, shipping free as well. And it worked perfect again.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Kelly W

Sean, I can understand that comment, but I knew the 5625 was inferior and tried it anyway. I can swallow that, in comparison to the other servos I’ve gotta that are all working perfectly well. I know the distributor up here in Canada (a well respected jet guy). I respect his opinion and I buy through shops that receive product from his company. Their return policy is great... Those 2 servos are the only real trouble I’ve had aside from a mini servo with a funny sounding gear train, which was promptly replaced by the vendor.

Had I bought the Karbonite gear servos and been forced to shelf them, my opinion would likely be much different in respect the product quality though. I still think Hitec as a corporation owes it to its customers to produce a metal gear upgrade for these servos (the 6XXX and 6XX series), even if it’s sold as un upgrade and not provided for free...

Kelly
Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i believe the problem with these servos centering is the gear train which gets worn faster than usual for some reason.

aside from that, they are strong, reliably working, digital servos, for 40-45$ - i dont see any competition in this price range.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Kelly W

Mine were fresh out of the box with the same level of backlash as a 5945MG (which are very good), also programmed for the minimum dead band, and I could not trim the jet in the roll axis. I tried almost everything, then changed the servo and it was night and day. I'm sure we could get away with installing a servo like this on an elevator or flap and have the centering inaccuracy be much less noticeable. I beleve the solution is to spend a few more bucks and stick to the 59XX series, leaving the 56XX and 6XX series to non critical surfaces. I used the 645MG on both my HotSpot and Stingray for applying the speed brake for example.

Kelly
Old 06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Stick with the metal gear servos and you should be fine. I am using the 5955's in my F-16 for the tailerons and have had no problems. I have also used the 5245's for someother applications like ailerons and such, they worked great.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM
seanreit

Ian, isn't the 5645 a metal gear servo?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Your right Sean, they are. I have used the 5645's in my Tam A-4 and had no problem with centering them and setting things up. They always returned to center well and worked solid. Were you running yours on 4.8 volts or 6? I was running a 6 volt system on mine.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I have used the 5645's on prop planes with no issues whatsoever. But for large gassers and jets have gone to 5945's (now replaced with the 5985) and 5955. I still use the 5645 for flaps. I just bought six 5955's for my next two jets for elevators, ailerons and tailerons.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:50 PM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well i have bought newly some Hitec 5985, 5645 and 5625 for my jet projects. Have never used Hitec before, but have heard a lot of good things here and there. This thread makes me feel really unconfortable, and i feel i might have done a big mistake.
Hope someone outthere will brighten situation a little (if however these products are reliable).

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

I have about 70 flights on my Boomerang with 5645's and never had a problem. I used them on my Panther and they seemed to be fine as well. I do not have an issue with using them on something in the 14-20 pound class that is not being "thrown" around alot. In contrast I have lost two planes in the past on both Futaba and JR servos, many years ago, so I feel just as comfortable with the Hitecs as I do with the other more favorable brands.
Tommy
Old 06-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Mach1
My Feedback: (5)

I agree. I replaced JR8411's with 5945's. Much better servo IMHO and the programming feature is super.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5645's on the elevators of my ViperJet---No issues and rock solid in trim--This was the largest servo that I could install on the surface. No way I was going to install the Hitec 5125's or JR DS 168's that the plane called for as these were burning out due to not being able to handle the load...(47 inch ounce servos called for on an elevator---C'mon!!!) Hitec had issues with the early versions of the 5625/5645 servos---These issues have been worked out to the best of my knowledge...

Kevin
Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Over 200 flights on 5645s in 2 jets. No issues.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM
afterburner

You know, I have asked this same question here and to people I fly with. I've been using 5625's and 5645's for many years. Now I have five 5645's in a 29% Giles 202. Those servos were in two other planes. The first one snapped coming out of a low loop and pancaked. The next plane had about 150 flights and that experienced a mid air. Replaced all the geartrains and the Giles has about 75 flights. The servos are still working fine. I have 5645's and 25's in my Reaction 54 and they work fine as well.

Now I'm working on a JL F-15 and was undecided on the elevon's as to using JR8611A's or Hitec 5955 with the titanium gears. I ended up going with the the JR's mostly so if something happened, I wouldn't hear the "I told you not to use Hitec's" rant . I think I regret it already even though the F-15 hasn't even flown yet. One of the elevon's is creeping up and down around center and does the same thing when I swap the two elevon channels or disconnect the elevon altogether. This is the first time I've used JR equipment and I thought I was going to be impressed. The only place I "Feel the Difference" is in my wallet. It's about 20% lighter than if I went with Futaba or Hitec. And why when I spend a $100.00+ for a 300+in/oz JR servo, they won't even give you a decent metal arm? Instead, you get a plastic arm that I'm sure 99% of the people would never use. I buy a $50.00 Hitec and it comes with an aluminum arm and it actually fits on the shaft unlike the ones I bought from Horizon for the 8611's. Ok, my rant is over. Flame away.

Marty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.