Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

what is this 3d jet worth?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

what is this 3d jet worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 AM
CARBUNCLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this 3d jet worth?

What are your estimates on what this or an identically setup comp arf rookie 2 would sell for turn-key, rtf, tx, and all the support gear?(not just your average setup rookie 2 but one that is equiped for and capable of flts like in the video below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y3VV60R73M
Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: what is this 3d jet worth?

Mine is setup to do all that. Same thrust vector system. I would want six thousand turn key with transmitter.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:28 AM
CARBUNCLE

thnx for your reply sean, does yours have a gyro on the pipe yaw to help it hover like that? and which motor would that be? not that I'm looking to buy one, I'm just curious..
Old 06-07-2007, 05:39 PM
seanreit

Look for posts about Rookie by my author name in the search bar. Loads of information.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
CARBUNCLE

Yea, Thnx anyway Sean, I've seen most all of your posts, I just can't keep up with what you have setup how, and can't remember if you have said that you can and/or have hovered it with control like that at that altitude... so let me be a little more specific - What is a rookie 2 worth that has and will hover repeatedly with that much control at that low of an altitude? If there are some more rookie 2s out there other than this one of wolfgang's that can do it I'd like to see some video as proof.. Just curious as to how many out there are actually hovering like that.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 PM
seanreit

Dude, there's only one. And trust me, you aren't the second.

If you were, the cost wouldn't matter, you'd have the airplane built, and make any changes necessary to do it.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 AM
CARBUNCLE

Yea right Sean , thnx again for your input.. Anyone else here have any ideas about my question?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:28 AM
seanreit

hey dude, a quick search of your posts suggests you already have this setup and have been doing the maneuvers. What gives?:

RE: Rookie II setup tips required. - 3/26/2007 12:04:45 AM
No New Messages
CARBUNCLE

Click to learn more about the advantages of upgrading your membership here at RC Universe

I used to do inverted spins, etc., and it is a little tricky and risky, so now I just make inverted laps or passes and do harriers, spins and hovers upright or nose up being careful not to let it fall over on it's back.. The gyroscopic effects of the turbine help make the jet want to spin right so do all spins to the planes left -upright or inverted- or clockwise veiwed from under.. It doesn't get stuck in a spin as easy, just kick opposite rudder and pipe and it's out, and if you have the power fly it out level or up..

I don't understand, if you've been doing this, why are you asking what the cost is?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
seanreit

RE: Rookie II setup tips required. - 3/25/2007 1:19:20 AM
No New Messages
CARBUNCLE

Click to learn more about the advantages of upgrading your membership here at RC Universe

here's my rookie2 set-up with jr 10x
ch1 - throttle
ch2 - elevon
ch3 - elevon
ch4 - rudder
ch5 - gear & airbrake (y leaded together) both on the one gear switch
ch6 - pitch on thrust vectoring & canards
--- ch6 & ch7 mixed together to switch on & off
ch7 - yaw thrust vectoring with gyro to assist in hovering
ch8 - wheel brakes & smoke (y leaded together) on slider and snap button
ch9 - nose steering
ch10 - gyro for yaw on thrust vectoring, switched on & off

I made the canards and thrust vectoring (yaw & pitch) to switch on & off and another switch for the gyro assist on the yaw of the thrust vectoring, they can both be on or off together or separate.. With the help of jetronic programable air valves I'm operating 12 functions with a jr10x -- examples > on ch8- smoke works low to hi output on 1st half of slider, brakes work on 2nd half, and snap button is smoke low and brakes pulsing... and on ch5- I take-off with gear down and air-brake stowed, but when I land- gear and air-brake come down, a trick I figured out with the jetronic valves..... it's taken me a while to figure this mess out but it works perfect, 250 flts and counting..
Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Sean,
It just sounds like he wants to sell it and trying to find a price.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
seanreit

Mark, I disagree with that. I re read the thread, and tried to read it from that perspective, and it just doesn't jive with me. In fact, if you take this thread and put it together with the other thread, it really starts to look weird, or odd. At least to me.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sean, would a p120 cut ice for that kind of flying?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:39 AM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: Ragz

Sean, would a p120 cut ice for that kind of flying?
It all depends on the setup, how much fuel is on board, etc. What is the thrust to weight ratio? What is the P-120 actually putting out?

What I've learned about this hobby, is that if there is something you want to accomplish, or need to accomplish, money is NOT an issue. It's a matter of pooling resources to get it done.

Can corners be cut? Sure, hell yes, guys do it all the time.

I own a Composite ARF Lightning instead of an Ultra Bandit. Are they similar? YES. Could Shulman make one look like an Ultra Bandit in flight? Don't know. But he could sure make it look better than I do!

Can I build an airplane similar to Wolfgang? Yes, I have. Can I hover? So far only by accident!

I have 30 lbs of thrust in mine. I used to fly with 37, but found 30 is a sweeter ride.

I always find these $$ conversations fascinating, cause I quit counting a long time ago. It costs what it costs. You can either do it or you can't. And on an airplane where you are actually trying to put it into situtations that jets aren't traditionally supposed to do, you have to be willing to risk the entire investment every time you fly!

So if you are asking the question of how much, just write the number that you are willing to crash and get excited about. So far, I have not seen my number, I don't give a rats ass what it is, I'm in this for the fun and the guys I drink beer with.

Back to building and staring at my Dog.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32166.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	699899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91136.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	699900  
Old 06-08-2007, 11:26 AM
CARBUNCLE

LOL, nope I'm not selling mine.. sry for your confussions.. A bud ask me what the jet in the video was worth, simple as that, so let me try to make it less complicated- What would wolfgang's hovering rookie2 be worth if he were to sell it?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:32 AM
CARBUNCLE

And If I could respectfully ask if we could keep this thread on track guys.. you can pm each other or maybe start another thread plz.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 AM
seanreit

depends on the interest. If bill gates wanted it, maybe a million bucks. I'd pay 3000. You might pay 10,000.00

I don't know what specific equipment he's got in his. Did he use JR servos? Or Hitec?

What kind of question is this amongst turbine jet guys?

Do you want a range? between 5k and 10K us.

But you already know that, cause you've built one with a Titan, Right? I mean, you're doing all these tricks, what do you think, wolfgang has a gold plated turbine engine?

I'm confused. I get asked what these things cost all the time, if you give a round number, they are 99 percent of the time satisfied. Now if someone wants to buy all the parts, direct them to a website and watch them ***** themselves. That's always fun.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:44 AM
CARBUNCLE

my bud was just curious, simple as that.. Thnx for your input sean. I'd like to get a few more guys opinions on this question.. and yes I've got a titan and a few others also..
Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a question for Sean, where was that dog when I was at your house, hiding inside the Megabar??? I never saw him, HA!

Sorry for the hijack Carbuncle, if this was the price is right my vote would be $5300.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
seanreit

Gus stays in the yard actually, he really doesn't like inside much. Today the yard guy was mowing and the pest control folks were doing their thing. So I had him breathing balsa dust all morning, figure what's ok for the goose and all.

$5,300, for you Mike, I'd let it go for that

FWIW, My Rookie II has 7 JR 8411 servos in it. Two gyros, two standard servos, a 200 dollar PCM receiver, Robart retracts, BVM wheels and brakes, 1000 bucks in the air frame, 3000 in the engine, miles of airlines, extentions, the extra high dollar fuel tank, guages, uat, robart valves, smooth stop, the list goes on and on.

I have no idea what all that is worth and to whom it would be worth.

What a worthless question, what's a jet worth. I guess it's worth what it sells for if it's ever sold.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 PM
siclick33

Sean,

If you don't have anything constructive to say then why say anything? 9 posts on a thread that you say is a 'worthless question'.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:34 PM
seanreit

Cause I want everyone to agree with me. Or tell me where I'm wrong.

Is the guy running weatronics with gyro? Add a thousand dollars right there. How in the world can this question be answered without guessing. And if you are asking for guess's, why not just guess yourself if you've built one already?

I truly don't get this.

How can you debate value on this? Are the wingtips messed up? Has there been glass repairs on the model? I mean, how is this even remotely possible? If anything I'm trying to make this more constructive.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:41 PM
ag4ever

I could have sworn that Sean answerd the question in his first reply.

he said his similar setup is valued at $6000 to him personally.

Now if CARBUNKLE is looking for confirmation of a specific number, then fine, but it seems he was not happy with the first response, so Sean kept trying to "beat it into his head" that the actual value is very subjective and if he wants to price that specific jet he needs to contact Wolfgang and find out exactly what he has in it.

I personally feel any flying is 99% pilot and 1% plane, so just buying that jet won't get you hovering.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:43 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

I have a Rookie I which I purchased at Florida Jets for $3,500. Everything except the receiver...25 pound thrust, smoke, and 2-axis thrust vectoring. Sometimes a deal comes along and when it does all that's needed is a checkbook. The plane is a little battle-worn but looks pretty good.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:47 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

The bottom line is that if the owner doesn't necessarily want to sell the jet it will cost you $5,000 to $6,000. If the owner initiates the sale it will cost significantly less.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:11 PM
CARBUNCLE

Thnx guys, great info.. I'm getting a better idea of the answer to my question.. My bud and I were just curious if the unique flying abilities of a rookie 2 that has been set-up and proven to be as controlable as wolfgang's would be worth more than one that is close to the same but not yet proven and yes I agree it is quite a lot the skill of the pilot.. Didn't mean to make it so difficult to figure out, just wanted to get as many guys opinions/estimates as possible to get a better idea of the average and without going into to much detail.. plz keep the replys coming, I'm starting to get a kick out of this thread...

rookies= $3500 and up, some of these replys= priceless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.