Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tamjet FOD screen question?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tamjet FOD screen question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tamjet FOD screen question?

A while back I bought one of the standard tea strainer type FOD screens for a P80. It was so cheap and nasty I never used it.

The Tamjets ones look brilliant but I have a question regarding the fuel and gas lines. Looking at the photos there are no holes for the pipes. Do you have to cut these yourself? What are the 2 festos supplied for?

This is one area where I have a bit of concern as I would hate for the sharp edges of the mesh to cut through the fuel line.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tamjet FOD screen question?

You make the holes yourself so that you can position them wherever suits you. No cutting is required - push an awl (or phillips screwdriver or similar) through the mesh and wiggle it as necessary to create a circular opening for your lines.

The Festos are optional, depending on your installation. In some installations (particularly in tightly bypassed cases) you can't get the engine out without taking the fuel & propane lines off first, and you can't always get the FOD screen moved out of the way to get access to unplug the lines at the engine. The festos allow you to work around this issue by having a short length of fuel line that connects to the engine, goes through the FOD screen and just outside of the bypass, then an in-line festo connection to your main fuel line. In this way, you can disconnect that external festo, push the fuel line 'stub' through the bypass holes and extract the engine + FOD screen combo in one piece.

In other installations you have enough room to move the FOD screen out of the way enough to access the engine's built-in festos, in which case the extension pieces are unnecessary.

Dunno if I explained that very well...
Old 06-07-2007, 03:50 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Gordon's exactly right, been doing that last few installations, works great! I use a scratch awl.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:58 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

You make the holes yourself so that you can position them wherever suits you. No cutting is required - push an awl (or phillips screwdriver or similar) through the mesh and wiggle it as necessary to create a circular opening for your lines.

The Festos are optional, depending on your installation. In some installations (particularly in tightly bypassed cases) you can't get the engine out without taking the fuel & propane lines off first, and you can't always get the FOD screen moved out of the way to get access to unplug the lines at the engine. The festos allow you to work around this issue by having a short length of fuel line that connects to the engine, goes through the FOD screen and just outside of the bypass, then an in-line festo connection to your main fuel line. In this way, you can disconnect that external festo, push the fuel line 'stub' through the bypass holes and extract the engine + FOD screen combo in one piece.

In other installations you have enough room to move the FOD screen out of the way enough to access the engine's built-in festos, in which case the extension pieces are unnecessary.

Dunno if I explained that very well...

Gordon,
Thanks for the technical support.