Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whats up with Greyhound?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whats up with Greyhound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 AM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up with Greyhound?

I had a plane shipped from California to me here in Tennessee. Its in a wooden crate that measures 72"x30"x40". I got a tracking number and its been 10 days already and NO plane as of yet. I have called numerous times and its always "in transit". Nobody can tell where it is, one person says it can take 10 days, someone else says it should only take 7 days, yet someone else says I should have the shipper file a trace. The last person I spoke to I couldnt understand 1 word of what they said!!!! My better intuition is beginning to tell me it maybe got stolen. I do know that baggage goes before a box-so Im wondering if im freaking out prematurely and should just be patient, or is a freak out justified that 6k dollars worth of airplane is gone? Whats everyones take on my situation?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Whats up with Greyhound?

At the smaller stations, sometimes they won't lode a large crate without help, nobody there to help them it doesn't go. Thats the problem with Greyhound, no guarentees.
I'd call your local station where it is to be delivered to, check with them it may be there sitting, I waited to be called once only to find out it was at the station for 2 days, nobody bothered to call me.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2007, 04:57 AM
rolsen12

File a claim , that will wake them up.
Use a good carrier next thim like UPS.
They don't loose high value freight.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 AM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is something I don't get. Why try to save in shipping? Every time I buy a plane I have to pay over a $100.00 in shipping. For ex. a new Velox will cost me $205. the Dragon $300. My panther cost me $250 for shipping same as my Boom XL. and this is for just the plane unassemble. Now you worried about 6K plane lost somewhere. Is better to spend a little more in shipping and insurance than lost everything. Don't you think?

Rgs
Alejandro
Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 AM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

Pitts is right, it is probably sitting in the terminal, either that or it's at a transfer terminal. This is common. And Usually, though, it's delivered within a week. Go to your terminal or call.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:57 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

ORIGINAL: rolsen12

File a claim , that will wake them up.
Unless their exorbitant insurance rates were paid for extra insurance filing a claim will not help.....it will still be someone other than Greyhound holding the bag...same goes for the major couriers as well. Insurance is always extra....better yet, try filing a claim with UPS sometime, it's a joke....
Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the sad part of shipping with Greyhound, they neever know where it is, and read your claim information, the maximum claim is $300, when I found that out there was not way I was shipping GReyhound. It took them four days to bring a package to me that was only 5 hours away, and then they sent it to anohter station 45 miles away becasue they had no one at this station to "unload" it.
Tommy
Old 06-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

...and sometimes you will almost get most of the pieces after they have totally smashed the crap out of it.....

Greyhound is a passenger carrier. The freight/cargo/courier is an add-on to that passenger business, and does not have the same priority. They are a "me-too" addition to the courier business, but don't seem to have invested much in the way of advanced features that customers have come to expect from the major carriers. Things such as postive real time tracking are non existant. They have bar codes on their waybills, but I doubt they have any barcode readers, or, if they do, they certainly have not figured out how to manage that information and provide customers with package status information. Now having said that, Greyhound does offer some advantages. They go almost everywhere, and you can get overnight service to a lot of places, as well as weekend service. In some areas they can take bigger crates (ie model airplanes) that the majors won't/can't touch.

Your crate has probably been bumped and sitting in their system somewhere. Each bus that comes along is probably too full, so there is no room for the crate...so there is sits......
Old 06-10-2007, 10:58 AM
check6ii

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

...and sometimes you will almost get most of the pieces after they have totally smashed the crap out of it.....

Greyhound is a passenger carrier. The freight/cargo/courier is an add-on to that passenger business, and does not have the same priority. They are a "me-too" addition to the courier business, but don't seem to have invested much in the way of advanced features that customers have come to expect from the major carriers. Things such as postive real time tracking are non existant. They have bar codes on their waybills, but I doubt they have any barcode readers, or, if they do, they certainly have not figured out how to manage that information and provide customers with package status information. Now having said that, Greyhound does offer some advantages. They go almost everywhere, and you can get overnight service to a lot of places, as well as weekend service. In some areas they can take bigger crates (ie model airplanes) that the majors won't/can't touch.

Your crate has probably been bumped and sitting in their system somewhere. Each bus that comes along is probably too full, so there is no room for the crate...so there is sits......
Im beginning to think the crate is sitting somewhere-its 6 ft long and about 80lbs-so some lazy chubbo bus driver wont touch it! Hopefully, itll just show up soon. Its outta my hands. The shipper tried to use FedEx Express, FedEx Ground, UPS and USPS. The box exceeded their shipping limits. Greyhound was the only carrier willing to ship a box this large. Hard lesson learned here-next time Ill use a trucking company that will insure it for its face value!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:20 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greyhound is a very good shipping option some times!. The problem has already been stated that it can sit at some small office for days waiting for someone to load it. The other problem is that the packages go on a space available system-if there is no room on the bus going the right direction it wont go till the next bus that has room- if your package is large it may wait a LONG time for a big space on a bus. OTOH you are much apt to get a smashed package with them as it is going in the rather small luggage compartment under the bus, so a big pland box wont be used as a step ladder by the package gorilla or have a 100 pound box of tools dropped on it. I have used them a couple of times with good success. (and you cant beat the price) Scott
Old 06-10-2007, 12:41 PM
XCaliber
My Feedback: (104)

Just hang in there, it will show up!
I also use to ship jets this way but as the jets got more expensive and the extream risk of loosing one, I went with someone that can insure for the total cost.
Last time I shipped a jet from S. FL. to S. California I was feeling and thinking the same way as you are. I would call the arrival sation every day and no one had any idea. Finally the buyer e-mailed me informing me that he picked the jet up already. Never again with Greyhound!
Your jet will show up though
Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Best advice I can offer is to start making phone calls... you don't have to be nasty, just very persistent. You need an advocate on the other end of the phone to work for you in locating and getting that crate delivered, so work with them, but hold them accountable for answers. Get a commitment on when they will have an answer or progress report, and phone them back at precisely that time. This sends a message on several different levels that you are serious, you are persistent, and you are not going to go away. This will motivate them to take whatever means is necessary to get your crate found and delivered. (this works for any carrier)

A couple of key points:
- don't get angry (you need that person you are talking to working on your side). Get the name of the person you are dealing with. get their supervisors name as a back up, but don't elevate it until you have no other option. The worker bees know the system much better than supervisors and they are the ones that produce results.
-be polite, but firm
-don't let them blow you off with vague answers or promises. If they say something like: "we should hear something in a couple of hours..."; you respond with" It is 3:07 now, I will call you back at 5:07. Will you have an answer for me then?" Make them commit to some result, and hold them to it..but make sure you do call at exactly 5:07 !!
This works surprisingly well, (once you have established that you are going to be persistent) they know you will be calling at 5:07 and they promised some sort of answer, they will work to get something (anything) to offer you in the way of progress reports. I'll bet within 24 houirs they will have located the crate.....
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 PM
check6ii

So i now have a claim/trace number-its going on day 13 and still nothing! This is really starting to agitate me......
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: check6ii

So i now have a claim/trace number-its going on day 13 and still nothing! This is really starting to agitate me......
Are you SURE it was even shipped?

Dave
Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 PM
check6ii

Yes, it was shipped-I have a tracking number........And Im friends with the shipper!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 AM
DocYates

My similar experience is that it is sitting somehwere in a terminal. If you can find out very terminal exchange from where it was shipped you can call them individually. There should only be about two or three places where it would have changed buses. More than likely it is sitting in the first stop it made, in a corner right in the waiting room of the terminal. If you can speak to someone there they probably will be able to help get it on a bus more quickly. It took 16 days once for a package to get to me from North Carolina, and four days to get from Atlanta, on either of these routes there is a maximum of two bus exchanges. On the one from North Carolina they could not even locate the package and I was about to have a fit. If there is any solace in the matter, both of my packages arrived without damage.
Tommy
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 AM
KC36330

have any of you people took a LONG GH trip? a friend of mine came out to Cali when i lived there and she took GH, took her 6 days to make the trip with all their little stop overs in every little hole in the wall town along the way, a package wouldn't surprise me if it took months to get there. you get what you pay for.

kc
Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 PM
check6ii

ORIGINAL: DocYates

My similar experience is that it is sitting somehwere in a terminal. If you can find out very terminal exchange from where it was shipped you can call them individually. There should only be about two or three places where it would have changed buses. More than likely it is sitting in the first stop it made, in a corner right in the waiting room of the terminal. If you can speak to someone there they probably will be able to help get it on a bus more quickly. It took 16 days once for a package to get to me from North Carolina, and four days to get from Atlanta, on either of these routes there is a maximum of two bus exchanges. On the one from North Carolina they could not even locate the package and I was about to have a fit. If there is any solace in the matter, both of my packages arrived without damage.
Tommy
They are tracing the box now, they said coming from Ca. to Tn. it should transfer buses 2 times. So hopefully its sitting at one of those stations waiting to be loaded. As frustrating as the situation is, I did manage to be very courteous and polite and not let my anger out. The gal said she will call me at home when she finds anything out. So Im keeping my fingers crossed......

In the meantime, this is the plane.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62680.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	702663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28150.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	702664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48001.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	702665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50662.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	702666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51901.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	702667  
Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 PM
DocYates

Is that the Cermark 339? If you can find the stations where it transfers youmight be able to find out exactly where it is. You will get it eventually. I just get cold chills thinking about them sitting out there on a dock or in a waiting area for two weeks without anyone taking responsibility.
Keep us posted.
Tommy
Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 PM
check6ii

Is that the Cermark 339? If you can find the stations where it transfers youmight be able to find out exactly where it is. You will get it eventually. I just get cold chills thinking about them sitting out there on a dock or in a waiting area for two weeks without anyone taking responsibility.
Keep us posted.
Tommy
Yessir-Cermark MB-339, all airframe mods and enhancements have been done. 7 flights on the jet. I have the gals ph # so if she doesnt call me-like she said she would, I will call the stations myself. Although this is what she said she would do when I spoke with her this a.m., we'll see........

Oh, included with the jet is a set of padded custom made bags for the wings and fuselage........

Im not giving up-I have a high degree of tenacity. And I have faith it'll show up out of the blue most likely.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35173.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	702681  
Old 06-12-2007, 01:32 PM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

check6ii,

Those bags are fantastic!
Kinda looks like Grandmas blankets. Really like the wing set being zippered together.

I assume you went to your local depot and checked. I had a situation where 4 days had gone by and no body from the station called the buyer to pick it up. Luckily, the station here is good about that. Anyway, I hope it arrives soon.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 AM
check6ii

Tommy
Man, who knows where it is. Today is day 16 and still no crate. I contacted the station in Atlanta, and the guy there said he didnt recall seeing anything that resembled a coffin! A trace has been initiated thru the Dallas office, but no word on that. So I dont know......Ill just sit tight and wait I guess-
Old 06-17-2007, 03:43 PM
msrcflyer2
My Feedback: (40)

Steve Gorman CEO

Greyhound Lines

972-789-7000

Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 AM
check6ii

ORIGINAL: msrcflyer2

Steve Gorman CEO

Greyhound Lines

972-789-7000

I called the number provided and spoke with a Mr. Frank Carrol-CEO of Greyhound Package Express. He's looking into it. We shall see.......today is day 20 BTW
Old 06-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

I feel for you. I ordered a kit from Germany and it took five weeks for it to show up and then another 7 weeks to get the hardware kit and I still do not have the instructions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.