Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

a10x mixed messages : good trainer or not ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

a10x mixed messages : good trainer or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 AM
vipul
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a10x mixed messages : good trainer or not ?

Hi Guys,

I have done many searches here on RCU about the Xtremejets a10x. Initially all the reviews were great everyone was saying its a great flying plane. Then I see a thread that its not such a great trainer as it tip stalls if you get too slow. I am looking to put a p60 in a trainer plane and found the a10x attractive due to price and quick build. Anyone care to set the record straight on this plane as to whether it is suitable for a beginner and things to watch out for.

Vipul
Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 AM
I-NAV
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: a10x mixed messages : good trainer or not ?

Yep,
We had 3 flying out here last year. It's a fun jet, but I wouldn't say it's a trainer. It will drop a wing if you pull too hard where the swept/deltas will sink pretty much wings level if you get slow. Either way you're going to crash so don't get slow.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Trundle

I saw one go down on its maiden flight. He was doing a stall test at high altitude when it went into a flat spin. It must have gone around about 2-3 times before he got it back out of the spin but a second later it went back in but the opposite direction, then it went behind the trees![X(]

I've never seen such a nasty RC stall in my life! I've only seen one in my life and it crashed on its maiden so in my opinion its not a very good trainer. I've seen a lot more success with the Baby Boomerang including deliberate stalls which dont doom the plane!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with Trundle, the Baby Boomerang is very popular for two good reasons. Cheap (sort of, compared to other similar size jets but twice the price it should be for a wood ARF) and very forgiving & easy to fly. - John.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:37 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

if you build it according to specs , it will fly just as nice as a boomerang..
i owned and flew all of the boomerangs , a10X
believe me it is fine...
Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

I have one with five flights on it now.This plane flys so slow and if you power it up it moves.The only issue I have with it is on a real soft sood grass I cant keep the retracts in they keep coming out.On a hard surface its o.k.It is a real easy plane to fly.I will be trying a set of Jet 1a trailing struts for the mains on the grass.All in all a goood cheep flying jet,I have a Ram 500@14 lbs in mine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49844.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	701790  
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Easy to fly, yes

Trainer, no
Old 06-11-2007, 10:40 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Ronnie said, I have had 2 10xs and have built and flown a Boomer. The wing on the boomer is at least 30% thicker than the 10 and also the wing is at least 20% larger in area and they both weigh the same. That wing is why the boomer is such a doll to fly. The X is easy to fly, but it will snap if you yank on it in a turn or get it too slow. Given that it also will seemingly float forever in ground effect sometimes. The first thing to do is reenforce the gear plates ASAP. It does look a bunch better than the boomer though, I did one inSEA camo scheme and it looked great. Scott
Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 AM
MAX NITRO
My Feedback: (1)

You want to buy mine, not fully built going realy cheap??
Na, I wouldn't do that to anyone. I have a concience.
Please do not buy one if you are wanting a trainer. Have seen 2 fly. One tip stalled into a spin it NEVER recovered. The other one the guy is building new wings for it to fly better because it is scary to fly and he has been flying for many many years with much cred.
Our A10x dealer here requested the factory to modify the wing for his imports because a lot of guy's were/are having problems with the current design.
They do fly BUT you have to fly them fast and don't pull elevator too hard or it WILL BITE.

I am not sure how many designs of the A10x there are but the xtreme jets one is the one i have seen.
Be warned....[]

Get a Boomerang, you will be much happier
Old 06-11-2007, 12:27 PM
digitech

ORIGINAL: MAX NITRO

You want to buy mine, not fully built going realy cheap??
Na, I wouldn't do that to anyone. I have a concience.
Please do not buy one if you are wanting a trainer. Have seen 2 fly. One tip stalled into a spin it NEVER recovered. The other one the guy is building new wings for it to fly better because it is scary to fly and he has been flying for many many years with much cred.
Our A10x dealer here requested the factory to modify the wing for his imports because a lot of guy's were/are having problems with the current design.
They do fly BUT you have to fly them fast and don't pull elevator too hard or it WILL BITE.

I am not sure how many designs of the A10x there are but the xtreme jets one is the one i have seen.
Be warned....[]

Get a Boomerang, you will be much happier
i have seen this , i have seen that , i have heard that: , i hear this..............................................
Fly one , then comment
Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

I have been flying the crap out of mine "a10x" so far this spring, it is not my first turbine aircraft and i bought it to have a plane to fly in all conditions . it is much faster than a boomerang and has a higher stall speed although it does recover from a stall quickly or at least mine does, just dont get too slow when comming in, the A10x is not a chop and glide jet..
if you want a FIRST Turbine Trainer or have no ducted fan expereince a baby boomerang is better, it has more wing and flys and LANDS slower. The boomerang also DOES have a tip stall in it but you have to be creeping slow to find it. Russ
Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

My vote is for the Boomer, I have flown it ( both versions big and small ) very forgiving litle jet.

Good luck with your choice. If you have questions don't forget to ask us here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77137.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	702048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29280.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	702049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13634.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	702050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38173.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	702051  
Old 06-11-2007, 07:51 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'
Old 06-11-2007, 10:29 PM
davo580

hello dave. I got my boomerang flying again had prob with ecu
Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Ad another vote for the Boomer, flies like a heavy Kaos pattern plane and will land so slow it must be seen to be believed.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 AM
vipul
My Feedback: (5)

anyone looking to sell their boomerang. Just looking for plane, already have electronics and p60.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:29 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: vipul

anyone looking to sell their boomerang. Just looking for plane, already have electronics and p60.

yes www.boomerangjets.com

he will depart of a few for you[:-]
Old 06-21-2007, 11:30 AM
thejd1

My Father just test flew his A-10X last week, here's the skinny... He was short and final, clean flaps and starting his flair. Apparently he had switched to expedential through just before take-off. He started to pull back to continue his flair, the expedential kicked in and it snapped right over. Very little damage to the jet, other then a little crack on the left boom and some damage to the canopy. He has a few turbine jets, all of which he flys daily, none of which would have done this he says. So buyer beware, it does have a violent stall. Oh yeah, anyone with a good left boom and or a canopy in good shape let me know!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:08 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if the rest of their jets have these nasty tendancies. I was thinking about that F-15 but now I am not so sure.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

The a-10x tought me how to fly. I thought she was a sweet heart. I was able glide in from base to final with mine. P70 for power. I found it had a very touchy elevator and would snap out of a tight loop, just like a P-51 mustang will.

That being said, many people here say they've had a hard time with it. If I was doing this all over again, I'd likely get a boomer. Its ugly as sin but your first jet is gonna get beat up anyways and you WILL buy another one that you like more, we all can garuantee that!

My 0.002.

Raf
Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Well it happened, I was trying to get my flapps dialed in and as I was slowing up out of no ware this thing went wild from one side to the other no recovering it went in, I have a Babby Bommer coming.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Strange... Never had one snap on me? Have plenty of fights on mine and it is a pleasure to fly, never demonstrated one nasty habit to me....
Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
thejd1

I just got through to Fei Beo Jets Via email, and they were very helpful.

Post A-10X crash:

My Father has finished repairing the damaged boom, and the new cockpit is inroute. He is confident in the changes he made to aid in the voilent stall characteristics of the A-10X. As compleation of the modifications near I will update the board on what he has done to avoid this in the future.

Here is the email address if anyone has to get a hold of them direct. 淑倩 é—œ [[email protected]]
Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: thejd1

I just got through to Fei Beo Jets Via email, and they were very helpful.

Post A-10X crash:

My Father has finished repairing the damaged boom, and the new cockpit is inroute. He is confident in the changes he made to aid in the voilent stall characteristics of the A-10X. As compleation of the modifications near I will update the board on what he has done to avoid this in the future.

Here is the email address if anyone has to get a hold of them direct. 淑倩 é—œ [[email protected]]

mm what does fei bao have anything to do with extreme jets?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 AM
thejd1

They were able to help me get a hold of the parts I needed for the Jet. When we talked to Dreamworks they told us they no longer carried the A/C or furnished parts for it. XTREME was able to send out the parts we needed, and answered some questions. So for the last Blog posted I apologize. Xtreme is the name of the company that helped us out with the parts. Anyway, the email address remains the same if you need anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.