Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

VIDEO SUPER DEAD STICK Landing Luis's Eurosport at Cen. Texas Jet Rally 2nd Flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

VIDEO SUPER DEAD STICK Landing Luis's Eurosport at Cen. Texas Jet Rally 2nd Flight

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 PM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIDEO SUPER DEAD STICK Landing Luis's Eurosport at Cen. Texas Jet Rally 2nd Flight

Ok, I know there are some who were anxiously awaiting this video of Luis's Euro in which Sean had to deadstick land it on it's 2nd Flight.
Luis had brought the jet to the Cental Texas Rally in May, unfinished, and after about a day and a half it was finally ready for flight.
The maiden was a success.. This video is the 2nd flight.
The Video is a fun tribute to Sean for his abilities and to Luis who proudly flew his Euro like a champ.
Enjoy, and sorry for any erractic camera movements, I need to get a tripod one of these days.
The video links are on the top left of the webpage, there is a large version and a smaller version.

Also, you need to have sound and turn it up a bit for the video.
www.rcmachinery.com
Old 06-11-2007, 02:36 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: VIDEO SUPER DEAD STICK Landing Luis's Eurosport at Cen. Texas Jet Rally 2nd Flight

Dude, that's awesome. And that Spread Sprek on that airplane really shined. It's hard to tell in that video how far out I had to go before turning back in.

I've been dying to see that video for three weeks. Everyone else got to enjoy the deadstick but me!

I heard Luis jumped 10 feet off the deck when the runway was made, I can hear him, but would have loved to have seen him!

Thanks again bud,

Sean
Old 06-11-2007, 03:53 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: VIDEO SUPER DEAD STICK Landing Luis's Eurosport at Cen. Texas Jet Rally 2nd Flight

Excellent Video....Double Excellent pilot work!

I have been teaching people to fly helicopters for a long time now and it is always a surprise when they have a flame out and promptly hand me the TX to save the bird....not every case has worked as well as this one did.

Good on you!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:01 PM
seanreit

I should probably add that it wasn't as much Luis handing me the sticks as it was me taking them. I've got hundreds of flights on Euro's and my statistics indicated there would be a better outcome based on where it turned off if I took over.

A lot of pilots will take a flame out, point the nose at them self and bring it in. In this case, that would have over shot the runway by a long mile. I had to look it up, but it was out of power for 31 seconds by my count.

Luis might have done just as spectacular a save, don't know. Then again, all those great saves you "could" have had, you learned a lot, right?

So, next time, it's all Luis, he gets that one for free
Old 06-11-2007, 04:03 PM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

Thats got to be the funniest video I've seen in a long time. Great work Tim, and Sean!

Luis
Old 06-11-2007, 04:18 PM
dragonpilot

ORIGINAL: seanreit

I should probably add that it wasn't as much Luis handing me the sticks as it was me taking them. I've got hundreds of flights on Euro's and my statistics indicated there would be a better outcome based on where it turned off if I took over.

A lot of pilots will take a flame out, point the nose at them self and bring it in. In this case, that would have over shot the runway by a long mile. I had to look it up, but it was out of power for 31 seconds by my count.

Luis might have done just as spectacular a save, don't know. Then again, all those great saves you "could" have had, you learned a lot, right?

So, next time, it's all Luis, he gets that one for free
Yes, there was a quick exchange of the transmitter after the flame out. Good teamwork shown for sure.
I think you get some indication as I had to rezoom on the distance, you get an idea of how far out the jet was.

My next video, is mostly a compilation of takeoffs and landings particularly from Florida jets and the Austin Rally.
Many manufacturers represented there
it would be nice to say Brought to you by..... any interested manf. please email. I need the support.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:49 PM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

Great job Sean. You want to maiden the Crusader......................Not.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

David Hudson

www.dcmodelshop.com

Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Alexdu
My Feedback: (3)

Awesome #$%^ing video. Great save.

Regards

Alex
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The real question is why did the Rhino Flame out?

Andy
Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
seanreit

The post analysis of the ECU with the laptop indicated air bubble.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:24 PM
AndyAndrews

Crap. Leak in lines? Did he isolate it>?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 PM
seanreit

We think it was just something left in a new UAT that we didn't get out. No leaks in the fuel system that we could find.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

EXCELLENT video!!! I loved it!

But I did note that Steve Ellzey (Clark Kent) was no where to be seen when Sean was in the video.

Coincidence????
Old 06-12-2007, 04:53 PM
seanreit

That's so funny, I've been calling Steve Clarke Kent behind his back for years! He does turn into superman though when you get to talking tech turbine talk. The guy is a walking encyclopedia!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Yeah right. The two of you are ONE AND THE SAME!!!!

Bob Price is no doubt Lex Luther.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 PM
SinCityJets

Sean,

I have been flying planes for over a decade, but I am pretty new to turbines, so excuse the dumb question.

One thing I have been warned about is keeping the nose down on turbine landings. Keep the nose down, keep the nose down, etc., etc. I could not help notice the AOA on landing....pretty nose high. You were obviously familiar with this aircraft, so is the reason you were able to have such a high AOA because of the design of the plane, or could you have gotten away with the same approach on an F-18 Seper Hornet?

Thanks for helping the kid in the short yellow bus.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:04 AM
seanreit

That's a tough question. A little history on me is in order:

I taught myself to fly using a foam 3 channel tiny electric 100 dollar airplane (hundred bucks including transmitter).

Then I worked my way up crashing airplanes after airplanes. Maybe 15 of them. On the 20th airplane I learned how to set throttle to idle (this is not a joke, I was having my brother hold the airplanes at full throttle and letting them go because I didn't understand anything any different, and this was only 5 years ago).

It was a year into flying that someone took the time to tell me how to set trims. And that was about the time that I bought a DF Jet.

I was flying the F-15 DF into a big loop and someone took the tranny from me to fly it a bit, he did a loop and noticed that the airplane was out of trim such that when you pulled back, there was roll in the elevator. I had no understanding of what this was all about.

Turns out, I was instinctively holding aileron and rudder into my flights and all my moves looked pretty straight, but it came naturally to me.

I started flying turbines almost 18 months from the day I started flying the foam airplane.

I have deadsticked airplanes in pretty much every imaginable altitude and flight position. I have even flown a full scale Cherokee from take off to landing all by myself, and I have proof. Flying to me for whatever reason is pretty instinctive.

Now I'm no shulman, and I never claimed to be, but I can take off and land just about anything out there I've gotten my hands on.

So to answer your question, I fly exactly what I see happening with the airplane. I do very little movements on the sticks, and as you'll see in the video, the wingtip dropped as I was coming in for landing and the compensation was minimal. In fact, if I had to guess when those wheels touched down, there was zero lift on the entire air frame. It could not have gone an inch further in the air.

I also have a pretty good judge of "what it takes to make it" or spacial orientation to my surroundings.

Does any of this mean I don't screw the pooch now and again? Hell no, I have my share of crappy landings just like anyone else.

Of course, as always, any of what I've written above could be complete BS, and I just got lucky.

That's always out for public debate.

Anyway, there's an answer after a marathon 16 hour build session on the attached and about a half case of Bud.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80446.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	703090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60219.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	703091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87026.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	703092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44868.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	703093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se45890.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	703094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96586.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	703095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce70039.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	703096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec99250.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	703097  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu30576.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	703098  
Old 06-13-2007, 12:04 AM
dragonpilot

Sean will chime in but it had a lot to do with speed. Sean is a great judge of how fast the jet is coming in so with his turn and AOA the jet settled it in like a champ.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:12 AM
seanreit

I just thought of Tom Perry's slogan of what to do in time of emergency.

Aviate, Navigate, and Communicate.

In that order.