Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How does the F-14 fly?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How does the F-14 fly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default How does the F-14 fly?

Anyone here care to share? I wonder how they fly. I have two P-70's that I'm saving for the eventual F-14 ARF that will show up and I'd like to know how they fly in it various configurations.

Eg. Wings out, mid flaps on take off...swept wing manuevering, you know that sort of thing. Thanks.

Raf
Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How does the F-14 fly?

Mine flies pretty easy in the wings out position and is extremely stable. Roll rate is very low so rolls do require a lot. Wings back is not so easy as it is very touchy not to mention that speed is required to keep it somewhat tracking and stable. A lot more elevator is required to make turns as it does become slightly nose heavy.

for mine, the wings forward elevon throws are 1-1/2" but for the wings back only 3/8" (Ailerons only as the elevator throw remains the same).

The best over all is to get the wings half way swept and then you can have some fun.

The biggest problem is surprisingly that it is very hard to determine orientation. Just flying level, you could be flying away quickly without realizing it. I typically rock the wings slightly in swept mode so I can track it better.

Takeoffs and Landings are straight forward with throttle management.

Hope this helps.

Adil
Old 06-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Raf

Ditto what Adil said pretty much with some additions.

1. In the sweep back mode the roll is much less dampened and after you stop giving aileron it will have some roll momentum, and due to the wings being swept in now there will be little dampening of the roll input. Not a big deal just kinda feels looser and it will of course overshoot roll a little. We put a roll gyro to help solve this, and Futaba used to make a dual output gyro, but had since discontinued it.

2. Adil's F-14 is awesome but I have no Idea how he see's that thing when he fly’s. One good pilot with good eyes I guess, I had a Black Hawk and loved how it looked but I’m not making any more black planes if I can help it. They are just very hard for orientation in the Sky.

3. Make sure that the wings sweep back and forth pretty fast. Scale speed is cool until you get into trouble and you need those wings out.

4. Depending on how it is pivoted the wings should swing fwd in flight if you did not have anything connected to them, so most of the load is going fwd not back like you would expect. I think that this is due to the center of pressure of the wing being beind the pivot point. (at least in the Jetmart version)

5. Drop tanks add to the visibility and aid orientation. Make great skids if you landing gear has issues too.

6. One weird thing too at least with the DCU / Jetmart version. The fuselage lift is amazing, as you speed up you have to add tons of down trim to keep the aircraft level! In fact when you look at the elevator at neutral for normal flight the leading edge is 1/8" up from level! We saw this on 2 DF versions and Bills turbine version.

7. Jetmart version did not have flap's just a clean wing. Really did not seem to need them though, during landing the plane seemed to have enough drag to land well.

8. Extreme jealousy, you are making me green with envy sir! [:'(] Just kidding, just make sure you post some pics when you can !!!!

I had the old DCU kit which is now the Jetmart Kit. I flew mine DF OS .91's with Dynamaxes. I also helped my friend Bill with his, that was Super Bee powered. Pics are of my friend John C.'s F-14. The black one is Adils I beleive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57010.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	703480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53494.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	703481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15150.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	703482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25122.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	703483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74164.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	703484  
Old 06-13-2007, 06:49 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: ravill

Anyone here care to share? I wonder how they fly. I have two P-70's that I'm saving for the eventual F-14 ARF that will show up and I'd like to know how they fly in it various configurations.

Eg. Wings out, mid flaps on take off...swept wing manuevering, you know that sort of thing. Thanks.

Raf

ATTA BOY!!!!!! YOU DOWN WIT OPP YEAH YOU KNOW ME!!!!!