Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help with SkyMaster \ X-tremeJets wheels

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help with SkyMaster \ X-tremeJets wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:06 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Help with SkyMaster \ X-tremeJets wheels

Hello guys,

I ordered a set of these wheels:

http://www.x-tremejets.com/twe/produ...products_id=58

as well as two 2.25" nose wheels, from X-tremejets. the package was sent to me from Anton (SkyMaster), and im not sure i understand how to install the brake pads \ wheel bushings, since there was no manual included.

SO here goes, i got 4 wheels and a total of 6 brass wheel bushings, which already doesnt add up. there are also 2 pre installed brass bushings inside the brake pad mount.

all wheels have an inner thickness of the hub at about 11mm.

the bushings conclude of 3 pairs in the following measurements:

1. total length 9.5mm, outer lip thickness 1mm. totla inner length (inside the wheel) - 8.5mm.
2. total length 5.5mm, outer lip thickness 1mm. total inner length (inside the wheel) - 4.5mm.
3. total length 8mm, outer lip thickness 3.5mm. total inner length (inside the wheel) - 4.5mm.

All bushings have the same diameters.

As you can see, none of these pairs matches to a total inner length of 11mm (thickness of wheel hub).

Any idea how this should be mounted ? the Airpower website lists the number 1 set os "main wheel bushing set" - but they only cover 8.5mm out of the 11mm thickness of the hub, and every other bushing is too long to fit on the other end.

Is there a reasoning in putting only 1 bushing in each wheel ? this means that either the axle head on one side, or the brake pad on the other side, will be rubbing on the wheel hub.. ?

Please advise if you can help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46836.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	704448  
Old 06-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Help with SkyMaster \ X-tremeJets wheels

i3dm,

I'm going from memory here, but on my Rafale, the main wheels also use a washer to ensure the gap between the wheel and the brake is correct. Without the washer the brakes would bind on the wheel. I'll have to take a closer look at my gear tonight and try and get you a picture. Also, the pin that goes through the wheel bushing uses a e-ring (clip) on the outside that keeps the wheel from coming off. There should be a bushing in the brake hub and also one in the wheel and then the washer between the wheel and the hub. Once the wheels and brakes are assembled, it's a real nice working assembly so long as the pin and bushings are lubricated.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:06 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does extreme jets supply ANY documentation with ANY product they ship? Seems Anton speaks (understands) English well enough to accept a payment, why can't he supply working instructions?

"I just don't get it!" Margins can't be that slim to prevent a few photocopies being included?

I'll stick with companies who supply their products with documentation......

Dave
Old 06-15-2007, 12:07 PM
i3dm

airforce7, im not sure i understand the assembly, but i can assure you my pins for the wheels didnt come with a groove for an E-ring, and i feel that a washer against the wheel hub will wear down into the wheel with time, even if lubricated.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Airforce7

i3dm,

The washer is the same diameter as the bushing, which takes up the rest of the spacer between the bushing and inside OD of the wheel. I also believe it prevents the back side of the threads in the wheel assembly from binding with the brake pad before it is actuated.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Airforce7

Dave and i3dm,

Take a look at this link, I got it right off the Air Power web site. It's the manual section, they even have the gear documentation.

http://www.airpowernet.com/manual.php

In this link:

http://www.airpowernet.com/upload_im...ionsManual.pdf

You can actually see what I'm talking about, although the wheels are slightly different. In STEP 8, you can actually see the gap between the bushing and the wheel rim. There's a washer on mine that takes up that gap, because when you go to lock down the wheel to the strut you can press the brake and the wheel together and prevent the brake from working. The washer provides for a tighter fit (so to speak) in this design.

Hope this helps....

Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Airforce7

Here are the photos of the AirPower wheel and brake assembly. Turns out the e-ring I was thinking of are used on the nose wheels, not the mains. However, the washer is there in the mains and pretty critical part of the assembly. It allows the brake to push on the spinning wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96454.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	704822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25237.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	704823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16021.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	704824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77817.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	704825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79764.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	704826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89843.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	704827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40585.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	704828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60851.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	704829  

Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 AM
i3dm

OK i see that the wheel hub indeed sits against the washer after the brake hub, wont the washer dig into the wheel hub with time ?