Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet crash & fire statistics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet crash & fire statistics

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 06:30 PM
mitchamus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet crash & fire statistics

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering, If anyone could point me to or provide me with any statistics regarding the probability of a model Jet crash resulting in a fire.

I need to know if a model Jet crashes, what are the actual chances of it catching fire.

I know we can all guess, speculate and the rest, But I need the facts / hard evidence.

Please if you know nothing about it...don't reply, I can get hundreds of replies from John Doe saying, I saw a jet crash video once and there was a huge fire!

lets assume that the crash would occur into trees/forest

Any help/info appreciated, If you have been a member of a jet club for a few years and have seen your fair share of crashes, I would appreciate your input.

cheers,
Mitch.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:57 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Jet crash & fire statistics

Mitch,

Try a search on this subject. I remember someone pulling a bunch of data together quite a few years ago. There was also data to confirm the risk of fire decreases to almost none if the engine is shut down x seconds before impact. I don't remember how many seconds. Tank placement in relation to the engine was another thing discussed in detail.

BTW, I haver personally seen many, I would guess over fifty, crashes and only two resulted in fire.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:02 PM
mitchamus

AWESOME.

thanks so much for the info, I did do a search, but I figured I hadn't used the right words. I'll try a broader search.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:28 PM
squirt!

Mitch,

The JPO tracked this info for several years, recommend you contact them.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:29 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: mitchamus

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering, If anyone could point me to or provide me with any statistics regarding the probability of a model Jet crash resulting in a fire.

I need to know if a model Jet crashes, what are the actual chances of it catching fire.

I know we can all guess, speculate and the rest, But I need the facts / hard evidence.

Please if you know nothing about it...don't reply, I can get hundreds of replies from John Doe saying, I saw a jet crash video once and there was a huge fire!

lets assume that the crash would occur into trees/forest

Any help/info appreciated, If you have been a member of a jet club for a few years and have seen your fair share of crashes, I would appreciate your input.

cheers,
Mitch.
The JPO did the study for two years when the AMA was considering requiring speed limiting devices. The data was collected to see if speed was in fact a contributing factor to crashes. Fire data was also collected.

Go to the JPO site, select members, safety center and then crash statistics.

Fires were infrequent when we collected the data.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:34 PM
mitchamus

Awesome!!

I found this link in another thread:

http://www.georgiajets.org/RMI_html_...Home_Page.html

Great work JPO.

One of the guys in our club has nearly completed a turbine model... and low and behold... the comittee goes bans turbine aircraft

Typical ignorant mob mentality.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:42 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

The study on the Georgia Jets website is the JPO study.

The approach that worked for us was to get the club to approved jets on a trial basis. Three month test period. If you are friendly to the membership in general and don't have any serious incidents, most club members will vote for it because they love to see the jets fly. Good for attracting new members, too.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 PM
mitchamus

that's a great point Keith.

I'm pretty sure that it breaches the club charter, we have sections about promoting membership, & the hobby etc etc.