Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone had problems with Weatronics RXs?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone had problems with Weatronics RXs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone had problems with Weatronics RXs?

I was just about to order my Weatronic receiver and was told by the salesman, at a well respected jet shop, that they do not use them due to problems experienced by another, very well respected jet flyer (that apparantly has caused the loss of more than one jet).

Has anybody heard of problems with these receivers? If so, what happened?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:07 AM
swissflyer

Default RE: Anyone had problems with Weatronics RXs?

i have read everything about those Rx...from good to the worse...
here and on German forum..

i have see some flight in incredible complex models, without a glitch..
i have as weel readed about crashes...

my conclusion:

I have one, she works perfectly (10-20R on futaba PCM), the readout of the data is awesome, and the installation on the model is really a pleasure, as everthing is in one box...
Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 AM
swissflyer

double..sorry
Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: siclick33

I was just about to order my Weatronic receiver and was told by the salesman, at a well respected jet shop, that they do not use them due to problems experienced by another, very well respected jet flyer (that apparantly has caused the loss of more than one jet).

Has anybody heard of problems with these receivers? If so, what happened?
did the salesmen sold them himself?..
or ever wanted to?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:38 AM
siclick33

did the salesmen sold them himself?..
Not as far as I am aware, however the person that suffered the alleged incidents does sell them. I am hoping that this is the reason for the advice but really would like to know the background of these alleged failures. I know the people involved frequent RCU and would be grateful for more info. Feel free to PM me if necessary.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been flying two turbine powered jets with the Weatronics receivers for several months and absolutley no problems or glitches. In fact I am building a new plane now and have 4 or 5 regular receivers laying around but I am ordering a new Weatronics to install in this one also. I think for the complex jet models, there is not a better answer right now.

Richard
Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 PM
JPZ

Hi
I have not many flights,but I am very happy

JP Zardini
ZNLINE
CARF REP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58950.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	706423  
Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 PM
DaveMatthews

Darren,

Email Lindsay. He bought his from me.

Dave
Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Roger Suckling

If there have been losses with planes equipped with these receivers is it not possible to look at the recorded data from the receiver and see exactly what caused the crash? Would this not show up quality of the RF link, number of failsafe events, low battery voltage etc? - all assuming the rx survived!- Interesting to hear from the people who have the experience themselves.

Roger
Old 06-19-2007, 03:51 AM
mick15

I have been flying two jets with Wea receivers for months now with no problems and no recorded failsafe frames. I also have one in a large Yak 54 driving 13, 8511 and 8711 servos again no problems at all.

I built two JMP T33’s one for me and one for Ali, we discussed the aerial situation and decided we didn’t want outside aerials showing, mine has been flown prior to painting. One aerial was routed into the nose and the other into one wing.
On checking the flight log I was alarmed to see over twenty failsafe frames! I put this down to the amount of carbon fibre reinforcement in this model; the next time it flies it will have a whip. Although all these failsafe frames were recorded the model flew as though on rails.

m
Old 06-19-2007, 04:26 AM
siclick33

Looking into this a bit more it seems that the unit has 2 receiver unit that run through a single processor. Despite having 2 batteries it appears to have a single voltage regulator.

The benefits of the logging functions and the benefits of twin receivers is great when everything is working but I am not sure that it represents a significant improvement in redundancy over a single receiver setup (particularly the power supply).

I'm going to think about this a bit more but will probably just stick to my trusty old single RX.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:00 AM
siclick33

Ok,

Final post just to clarify some info. Regarding the processor and voltage regulators, here is the response from weatronic (very quickly I may add).

On the improbable case the processing unit hangs.
The build in hardware-watchdog will reset the processor less a second.

In the DualReciever there are build in 6 voltage regulators
2 for the receiving units and the processing
AND
4 for the Servo outputs.
Each of these has a current limit more than 7Amps (4 x 7 -> up to 28Amps
total).
On overload it switch down but no damage. The 4 regulators are working
independently
The jet crash mentioned in the first post (and it was actually only one crash, not two, and a couple of lockouts on other models) was apparantly traced to a faulty transmitter. There was NO implication that the Weatronic was to blame.

Hopefully this clarifies some info.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I do wish you guys would check your FACTS and be certain that what you say is correct before posting negative comments such as in the first post. The Weatronics Dual Receiver (and I have three) is an extremely fine piece of electronic engineering created by incredibily talented and competent people. They don't deserve inaccurate and unfounded criticism being broadcast on the internet.

Sorry but I think this has to be said.

My advice (for what its worth but I am sold on the Weatronics DR) is just buy one, learn to use it and its amazing capability and fly it ! Its a remarakable device, worth every penny.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

I agree with David completely. I wanted one bad but it doesn't support my Airtronics Stylus (no need to poke fun at my radio, I like it). This is not a shortcoming of Weatronics, they don't advertise compatability with Airtronics . It will work in PPM mode but I wanted to maintain my PCM mode. I kinda doubt they will change the programming to accept the Airtronics PCM since there is such a small following out there. Oh well, too bad for me because I really wanted one.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:15 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: SECRET AGENT

I agree with David completely. I wanted one bad but it doesn't support my Airtronics Stylus (no need to poke fun at my radio, I like it). This is not a shortcoming of Weatronics, they don't advertise compatability with Airtronics . It will work in PPM mode but I wanted to maintain my PCM mode. I kinda doubt they will change the programming to accept the Airtronics PCM since there is such a small following out there. Oh well, too bad for me because I really wanted one.
sounds like a beggar to me....
well i am sure they are reading it , and maybe they will make a exeption.
is there info about the pulse width ? and methods used?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:32 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Don't count on it partner.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:25 AM
siclick33

David,

The FACT is that this story was told to me by a salesman when I was attempting to buy one of these units. The post here was to try and prove disprove the comments so that I could make a sensible decision.

I have attempted to put forward a balanced view of all the comments that I have received.

The FACT that you sing the praises of this unit with no acceptance of any potential criticism is not healthy, especially considering that you try to push an attitude of safe, responsible flying and that includes potential equipment problems as well as safe, responsible flying.

I had heard that these units had problems. THIS APPEARS NOT TO BE TRUE. I have put forward both sides of the story and the case is now closed.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: SECRET AGENT

Don't count on it partner.
all those negative thoughts , think positive
Old 06-20-2007, 05:56 AM
David Gladwin

I have no doubt that this is what you were told by the "salesman" however both he and you should have discussed this with the "well known jet flier "and got the facts of the alleged failure, from the horse's mouth BEFORE stating that the DR was involved in two crashes in a manner that strongly suggested the DR was at fault !

I have no objection whatsoever, just the opposite, in discussing the virtues and otherwise of any equipment but hearsay, in this case apparently wrong, is just counterproductive and somewhat unfair to the manufacturer.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:40 AM
siclick33

I disagree.

The first post was a request for information based on what I had been told. The background was included to complete the story. I would be interested to know how looking at the thread in its entirity has any negative effect towards Weatronic. In fact quite the opposite. That is the beauty of group forums,if something is said that is incorrect it is soon corrected.

Assuming that you are an independent user and do not have some vested interest then I am surprised at your leap to defend a company that you have no ties to. Would you be quite so defensive if it was a comment about Comp-ARF?

Mods please close this thread. I have my answer.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If there have been losses with planes equipped with these receivers is it not possible to look at the recorded data from the receiver and see exactly what caused the crash? Would this not show up quality of the RF link, number of failsafe events, low battery voltage etc? - all assuming the rx survived!- Interesting to hear from the people who have the experience themselves.

Roger
They unfortunatly dont always survive the crash to read out the data [X(]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62420.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	707625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17301.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	707626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62558.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	707627  
Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Roger Suckling

Sonnich,

That must have been a nasty crash, have you any idea what caused it?

Roger
Old 06-23-2007, 10:05 AM
taprackflip
My Feedback: (29)

The data is stored on an SD card and can be read in any computer with the program installed. Therefore, the Receiver is not needed and who cares if its destroyed in the crash if your looking for the data. On a side note, the unit has Four(4) Voltage Regulators in the unit not one (1). ie., look at the back of the unit as each one is exposed to release heat. This system is so redundent its funny, almost as funny as the people who post here trying to trash a product they know nothing about.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:45 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sold out to this...
Incredible piece of engineering. Still learning new things about it. It is worth every penny for what you got. The SD card might as well survive a crash and data can be read. Might be usefull anyway to avoid future mistakes.....

Even if you look at it in a $ perspective it is the best option for what you got.

Nuno
Old 06-23-2007, 05:58 PM
David Gladwin

Well, after all the comment about this and on the 2.4 issue it was most interesting to read the comments of an avid jet modeller and professional, graduate (MSc) electronics engineer involved in Air Traffic Control engineeering on the JMA site in the UK. After a great deal of analysis of various systems his solution ("for belt braces and bicycle clips") is a JR transmitter with a Weatronics Dual receiver.

.and further to Nuno's post I agree that the DR is the most useful tool we have ever had for analysis of just what is going on , electronically, in our jets. NO more guessing.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.