Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BARF, almost an ARF...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BARF, almost an ARF...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default BARF, almost an ARF...

Anyone else feel like this? Yeah, BVM has the best instructions of any supplier out there, yeah every thing fits perfect, but boy its taking me FOREVER to build this thing....

I know, Gordon is going to rip me a new one cause he built his before it was even out of the box!

I'm not a particularly slow builder but I have found many spots that I just have to wait for the hysol. This waiting thing breaks my rythm, if you will.

I'd like to suggest a few things to make this ARF, more like an ARF....

1. Hysol all the formers and the ducting at the factory, especially the front formers with the mounts to the nose door(s)

2. Align the vert and horiz stabs at the factory (the rear pins are hysoled in, how much longer to place the forward pins?)

3. Fit the hatches at the factory. This was a really annoying step.

4. Redo the wing mounting system so that the bottom hatch does not have to be taken on and off to remove the wings.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BARF, almost an ARF...

LOL ... and you bought TWO of these ? Are you ever going to get around to building the 2nd one, if the first is taking you so long ?

For parts that need Hysol, I usually just tack-glue them in just a couple of spots with some CA (or little spots of 5 minute epoxy with milled fibre where there are bigger gaps), and then come back and run all of the Hysol in one go just before I hit the sack for the night. Then there's very little waiting. I have a white-board attached to one of my cupboards, and every time I assemble a piece that will need a Hysol "revisit" I simply add the part to the list that's written on the white-board -- that way I don't forget stuff.

For the wing mounting, I'd prefer if BV simply did what everyone else does, and has plug-in spars that take 1 minute to deal with instead of a 15 minute process every time you want to take it apart or put it together. I can assure you that if I did not have the option of carrying my Bandit in one piece, I simply would not have one anymore - the assembly is just too much hassle IMO.

The hatch fitting etc didn't really bother me ; same for the pins. In fact, I'd have preferred if they had done a little LESS hatch assembly for me, so that I could make it fit better. I guess that everyone has a different level of how anal they want to be about the fit and/or alignment of various parts, so unless they are going to do it absolutely perfectly at the factory it may be best to leave some of these things "undone".

Gordon
Old 06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ravill,

I'm with you 100% percent. My case was acyually a little bit worse than yours because mine was the all white, so it had to be primed and painted.

But man, installing those stabilizer pin retainers is a pain in the royal *****. I actually used two little screws to hold it in place against the fuselage skin while Hysol cured.

To make things worse, a budy of mine is selling his RTF with a new engine, custom paint, turn key, at cost!!!

The fit of my forward formers was terrible, but manageable. I also found that installing the nose gear door hinges was kind of difficult.

And yes by all means if BVM is reading this, please let go of the bottom hatches please!! I thought the days of my old Maverick were gone!!

Some more room for standard size servos in the stabilizer and aileron slots would be great too!

David
Old 06-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW Rav - if you have not already fit the intake ducts, you may want to put a couple of wraps of carbon-fibre TOW, or kevlar thread etc around these about 1/2" from the front. (Notch the seams first).

My intakes split open along the seam when I pushed them in place, and I did the above to hold them together after that ... it's much easier to do that to hold them together BEFORE installation than afterwards, so I'd do this as a matter of course with any future Bandit ARF that I assemble.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
ravill

Gordon,

My intakes also split, I just put some thick CA over them. I think I'll go and put some more hysol on them though....And yes, sometimes I just sigh when I think about doing this all over again with the next one[]

David,

Great points on the stab! I'm ok with a 70+ oz servo in an aileron but I just get nervous with 60-70 oz on stabs. I had to dremel right up to the skin to fit an 8611a! That took FOREVER! I did not want to hurt the skin, but I had to come right up to it!

Dear Uncle Bob, please, please help us out on some of these points.

sincerely yours,

Rafael
Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raf,
You will surely burn in Hell for this Blasphemous talk. Repent ,repent. Now give me ten Hale Mary's and order an Ultra Bandit immediately.

Marty
Old 06-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Raf,
You will surely burn in Hell for this Blasphemous talk. Repent ,repent. Now give me ten Hale Mary's and order an Ultra Bandit immediately.

Marty

Old 06-18-2007, 05:59 PM
FalconWings

dude where do you come up with this *****!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:02 PM
ravill

This shiz is too funny!

Raf
Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM
FalconWings

I'm afraid it's too late. They sent out the Marranos for you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47826.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	706601  
Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 AM
FalconWings

Hey Ronnie, remember this? A $600 ARF, build in 2 days = the most fun ever. Man I fly it so hard and it just keeps taking it!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83819.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	706913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73688.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	706914  
Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)