Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Smoke pump setup

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Smoke pump setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Smoke pump setup

Hello guys,

I'd like to make my own smoke pump setup for a couple of jets.

I bought some SS tubes 1/8" ID, and i have a Sullivan Skywriter smoke pump with a small 7.4V lipo.

A few things i want to know:

1. why is everyone using 2 injector tubes ? isnt 1 enough ?
2. the crimp in the end of the tubes, whats the width of the slot i need to leave open ?
3. do you use the full pumping power of the pump (its variable from theTx of course) ?

Any tips would be welcome.

thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
CARBUNCLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smoke pump setup

smash tube end with sliver of soda can in slot, then pull it out when tight.. try 1 tube and low pump speed, if it doesn't work good then try 2... seems guys get different results with 1 or 2 tubes some like 1 some like 2... lots of info here on smoke systems, do a search..
Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 PM
i3dm

i did a search, i read the posts, still looking for those tips.

WHat can i say ? i like to get it right the first time !
Old 06-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

If you want to roll your own, you will likely end up with a lot of splattered smoke oil on the floor and a lot of trashed SS tubing in the garbage.... Just spend the 15 bux and get a ready made tube (or 2) from Tam.... I tried various methods of creating the nozzles but nothing works as well as a store bought tube.

the skywriter pump works great...

The photo below is with the sullivan pump on 5 cell nicd and a single tube.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45302.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	707352  
Old 06-20-2007, 02:36 AM
i3dm

Wayne22, that looks like A LOT of smoke - if you get so much on a single tube why use more than one ?

A few things i would love to know from you:
1. Can i see pics of the installation (pump and tank) in your F-16 ? i want to put one in my F-16 as well (Cermark\Tamjets - i think the same plane as yours).
2. does it matter where you inject the fluid into the flow of the turbine EG ? from which angle or how deep in the flow ?
3. how long should the injector tubes be ? i mean.. how long should they protrude over the front of the turbine ? i guess they should be long enough that the front edge of the tube wont heat up and burn the tygon tubing that delievers the smoke fluid...

please advise.

PS - the store units are nothing but a piece of SS tube with a crimp at the tip. i wasnt willing to order internationally just for that.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Wayne22

Thanks, but there is a little bit of magic there...the 16 is just taxiing and the engine is at idle, so the smoke has nowhere to go...it looked pretty spectacular though..... If you want to see it in the air, here's a vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24a-Qc2uqiA

1. Can i see pics of the installation (pump and tank) in your F-16 ?
...sorry but the F-16 is all in pieces now..I haven't had time to get it in the air this year. I mounted a sullivan boat tank in the turtle deck behind the canopy...the smoke pump is buried down below there somewhere......

2. does it matter where you inject the fluid into the flow of the turbine EG ? from which angle or how deep in the flow ?
I've got it a couple of inches behind the exhaust nozzle and angled well into the exhaust stream

3. how long should the injector tubes be ? i mean.. how long should they protrude over the front of the turbine ? i guess they should be long enough that the front edge of the tube wont heat up and burn the tygon tubing that delievers the smoke fluid...
I used Tam's excellent smoke injector tubes..they include a fixed mounting tab that slides under the rear mounting straps for the turbine.....that fixes the length of the tube behind the mounting strap. There is a sliding tab on the front of the tube that slips under the front Turbine mounting strap..so it is adjustable for many types of engines. No problem with Tygon getting too hot.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:09 PM
CARBUNCLE

this is a good read for smoke info> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46...tm.htm#4601589
Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 PM
i3dm

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Thanks, but there is a little bit of magic there...the 16 is just taxiing and the engine is at idle, so the smoke has nowhere to go...it looked pretty spectacular though..... If you want to see it in the air, here's a vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24a-Qc2uqiA

1. Can i see pics of the installation (pump and tank) in your F-16 ?
...sorry but the F-16 is all in pieces now..I haven't had time to get it in the air this year. I mounted a sullivan boat tank in the turtle deck behind the canopy...the smoke pump is buried down below there somewhere......

I've got it a couple of inches behind the exhaust nozzle and angled well into the exhaust stream

I used Tam's excellent smoke injector tubes..they include a fixed mounting tab that slides under the rear mounting straps for the turbine.....that fixes the length of the tube behind the mounting strap. There is a sliding tab on the front of the tube that slips under the front Turbine mounting strap..so it is adjustable for many types of engines. No problem with Tygon getting too hot.

Hey Wayne, is this the Cermark F-16 (balsa wings) ?
Can you link me to that boat tank that fits in there ?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Wayne22

Nope! ......you didn't watch the video, did you ???[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Sullivan tank: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXFT72&P=
Old 06-21-2007, 04:05 AM
i3dm

I saw the video, its very impressive !! any idea if the same tank fits in the Balsa wing version (Tamjets\Cermark) F-16 ?

Also, do you think i should inject the smoke right in the middle of the EG flux ? i.e. on the turbing center like.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Aviator-No

Hi...

Take a look om page 6 on this link. This how Jetcat recomend to do the setup...:-)
http://www.jetcatusa.com/PDFFiles/Sm...tionManual.pdf

Best regards
Svein Roe
Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

I had the cermark f-16 and yes the 16oz sullivan tank fits at the rear of the cockpit area on top of the inlet duct
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM
i3dm

Thanks !
Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was looking for a Tams smoke system. Apparently they are backordered. Does anyone know of someone who has them in stock? Its for a Rhino in my XL.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i3dm

This is a set of intructions written a long time ago, before anyone started using the built in pumps and such. Just DON"T stick the brass tube throught the tailpipe (inside)

http://www.crcja.org/faq/smoke.htm

Turbulence

Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 PM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I was looking for a Tams smoke system. Apparently they are backordered. Does anyone know of someone who has them in stock? Its for a Rhino in my XL.

We got few made lastnight. If you had one on back order. It should be going out soon.
Tam