Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Turbine Fires

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Turbine Fires

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 PM
flapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Turbine Fires

Hello all,
I am after any information, photos, statistics etc in relation to any fires caused by Jet Turbine models as a result of the dreaded S.E.I syndrome (Sudden Earth Impact).

I am a member of an Australian model club who's committee has taken it upon themselves without input from the members to ban all Jet Turbine models from flying at the club site. This decision was made I believe, on the 'risk' of a fire occurring due to a downed model.

This same committee has witnessed a Lipo battery powered model crash into bushland which caused a small bushfire. A number of members were able to extinguish the fire.

Unfortunately the factual evidence of the Lipo battery fire seemed unimportant when deciding to ban the Jet Turbine models. Yes, some of the committee fly electrics and none fly Jet Turbine.

I enjoy watching both types fly and would not like to see either banned due to any perceived risk. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mark
Old 06-19-2007, 11:21 PM
mitchamus

Default RE: Jet Turbine Fires

Hi Mark, Mitch here
I posted nearly this exact question a couple of days ago,

see the thread here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5999552/tm.htm

I have posted a summary of the results in our club forums in the private area.

cheers,
Mitch.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

We fly jets from our grass field and have had a few crashes but more landing & take off accidents than straight in full throttle impacts. On some occasions the engine even keeps running, although we try to shut down before impact. We have never had a fire from a turbine model, a few small electric fires though.

Are your committee trying to look at the problem through the dreaded 'green mist' (jealousy)?

Learn to play the game, most model clubs in NSW follow the 'model rules'. Look them up on the NSW Office of Fair trading Website. Get 5 pro jet members to write to the committee & ask for a meeting. The committee MUST call a meeting. Rally your supporters, move motions & TELL the committee to lift the ban. If you jet flyers are a small minority in the club you are doomed. - John.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Trundle

Ive seen a few jet crashes in Perth with no fires, and believe me it wouldn't take much to set the bush around our field alight!