Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bandit arf Battery set up??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bandit arf Battery set up??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bandit arf Battery set up??

Could some of you post what your battery set up for both the Reciever, and the ecu. I will be using all the recommended servos, on a P-70, I want to use Li-Ion batteries, Should I go with a dual system like the Powerbox sensor switch, or just do one battery with a good switch and a regulator?? For the ECU I was thinking of using a 2 cell Lipoly (3300 mh Flightpower) I will be flying it on a JR pcm reciever.Thanks Jack.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:20 AM
docgboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bandit arf Battery set up??

Jack
We all think you ought to put that plane away and finish the rookie. If your not flying are you really a pilot? Liberty bell just around the corner and you need a proven airplane to fly there.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My Megabar which is a very large Bandit essentially is flying on one lion through a switch to a regulator to a 2.4 gig.

ECU one battery.

My kingcat had the same setup.

My superbandit, same setup.

FWIW.

My Rookie II, same setup.

If you are a young turbine guy, I would highly suggest you follow your peers suggestion and fly the Rookie a minimum of a 100 flights before you even think about touching that bandit. You will learn things in the repairs of the Rookie that are priceless experience that will change your thinking during the build of the bandit.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Thanks guys , The Bandit is my fifth turbine jet, I bought the Rookie as an everyday flyer for our local grass field, And yes Docgboy the rookie is almost done!!The Bandit will fly later in the summer, just wanted to have the batteries since I am placing an order to finish the rookie. Thanks for the info ,Jack.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,

Using one RX battery and switch allows a single point failure to exist (either the switch or battery goes out and you are done).

Dual batteries/dual switches provides true redundancy for certain failure modes (mainly any failures that cause an open circuit of the switch, battery or associated wiring).

All this protection can be had for the cost of a second battery (can be a small one) and a switch (maybe $30-40). This cost must be weighed against the replacement cost of an airplane (that probabaly costs at least $4K).

Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt, good advice, but I feel must say, how do you then explain the servo failure that Dustin had on BV's F-18 last year?

There are roughly 30 to 50 single point failure positions on any of our jet models. IMO you have to put your faith somewhere don't you?

It is up to the builder of the model to come up with their own decisions on where the weakest link is on their model, but to say that a switch or a battery is more likely to fail than say an 8411 (not necessarily that you are saying that), as was the case on the F-18. I think we are kidding ourselves.

What I think is more likely happening here is that we have all had something bite us in the ass, a battery failure, servo failure, in my case a pipe failure and a P-160 failure. I lost an airplane over a Jetcat P-160. Do I preach "Don't fly Jetcat"?

I preach all day long don't fly a P-160, and check your pipes for heat damage, cause I'm sensitive to it.

Anyway, roughly a thousand flights on single switch, single battery with no issues related to this setup. And certainly what Matt is suggesting would not hurt anything.

One thing I learned at Florida Jets is that apparently the guys out in Norther California aren't familiar with a good amp meter that you use when setting up servo throws. I would suggest anyone setting up digital servos invest in this device. The newer servos can be binding at certain deflections, using precious amps with no benefit. I believe a lot of these "brown outs" are due to not using an amp meter when setting up their airplanes. And the guy in CA I spoke to, didn't even know what it was, or what it was for. Scary IMO.

FWIW.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Sean,
An ampmeter is a necessary tool but a builder has to know what the safe servo amps should be. We can measure servo amps under no load, then hook it up to the linkage and read the difference. So what? (devil's advocate) Wouldn't each surface on each different jet give differing results?

I have yet to see or hear of either a radio manufacturer or kit manufacturer indicate an acceptable go-no-go amp range for any servo or flight surface.
One thing I don't have in my shop on the shelf is an experienced jet modeller to use when setting the linkage up. So I use my best judgement.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if you have an idea of how many amps your system is drawing on the ground, I am yet to figure out what is the max amp our recievers can handle? I am a futaba user, have no clue. Have heard somewhere that they can handle upto 65amps...but I would like to see to believe that. I heard that JR mentions 20amps as a safe figure. We had an over current lock out last month and lost a boomer.