Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sarasota Turbine Ban

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sarasota Turbine Ban

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:10 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sarasota Turbine Ban

I don't know if the other club members have spotted this yet, but the board meeting minutes just published from 6/11 indicated that the ban on turbine flying is linked to the fire weather index. Quote: "Board decided field will be closed to turbine jets and smoking until fire index under 400".

While it wasn't very specific as to which index, I found the following which seemed to fit the index numerical range:

http://flame.fl-dof.com/fire_weather/KBDI/index.html

While there might be some debate as to whether 400 is too conservative a target, at least the decision to reactivate turbine flying doesn't seem to be totally discretionary. Good news.

I could not easily find how often the KBDI index is updated, but assume it is frequently.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Sarasota Turbine Ban

Consider yourself lucky that the ban is only temporary. It could be worse. There is a field out here in Chino where the old far+s decided they wanted the place for themselves to fly there 40 size trainers. At least your clubs board of directors has a clue.

Billy
Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Send them (old far+s )a copy of Dave Brown's March Model aviation articule,

about "clubs discriminating against sections of the hobby"
and how its not in the spirit of "promoting model aviation".

May be that will wake them up.

or How its in violation of their AMA charter they signed.

California has an Official "fire season" runs usually from May to Oct.

I made a motion at my other club to set a turbine flying season in order to head off a total Ban
all together due to fire as there was a movement afoot to do just that, Ban jets totally.
It passed .....saving the jets. its sucks that it takes up a good portion of the season,
but there were already lots of fires out there getting media attention and the state sets the "fire season".

After it rain's a smoken hole in the ground ............does not grow any bigger.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
pmfer1
My Feedback: (29)

Come to Cape Coral Jets are more than welcome at Seahawk Park we are close to Sarasota and we are at sea lebel .
Pablo F. Sr.