Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet legend F-15 servo help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet legend F-15 servo help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Derrek Curtis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet legend F-15 servo help

Hello,
Im building a Jet Legend F-15 as an EDF. Its a elevon only control and Im wondering about servos.
I did a search and found the hitec HS-965mg was recomended. Is this a good servo for this application.

Any help will be appreciated

Derrek
Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 AM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Jet legend F-15 servo help

without wishing to start a servo brand snobbery debate, as thats happened enough times on RCU.

The tailerons are pretty large on the JL F15. I wouldnt be taking any chances. I dont know how much the 965MGs cost, but even if the difference between them and the JR 8611s was $100, for peac of mind that youve got the best kit you can, on a $2000 dollar airframe id go with them.

Good luck with the EDF conversion, which fan and motor are you thinking off? Im assuming you realise youll need two otherwise youll have a slouch of an aircraft
Old 07-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Derrek Curtis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Turbofan 4000 neu 1527-1.5y and 12s Should generate about 15 lbs of thrust.
The JRs are about $60 more so that something to consider.

Thanks for the info

Derrek
Old 07-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Sparhawk

There ya go... [link=http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-5955TG]http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-5955TG[/link]

Spar
Old 07-27-2007, 06:42 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

something to think about, 15lbs of thrust is at the limit of what large EDF can do. Thats usually quoted in a pod, not in a ducted installation.

Secondly, although JL size F15s such as the avonds, yellow or skymaster do fly on 12lb thurst jets, theyll stagger around.
with P80s, theyll fly better but thats seen as a minimum. As F15s are so draggy, as you go up to 24lb thrust engines etc, the top speed probably isnt much faster than the 18lb thrust versions, but the vertical performance is better.
Most of that size F15s weigh between 20-28lbs, average it seems is 24lbs dry.(from straw poll of looking through jet mags)

I dont want to rain on your parade, but i think if you wanted any kind of performance, youll need two fans in there.