Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Better than 20/20 vision required for jets? >

Better than 20/20 vision required for jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Better than 20/20 vision required for jets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better than 20/20 vision required for jets?

I just watched a bunch of R/C jet aircraft videos, and if you don't mind me asking; how do you fly them seeing that there so fast? Seems like it only takes a second (maybe two) to fly over the runway and then you have to start turning or climbing before the models out of sight. Same problem if you climb, they disappear so fast!

Anyone want to comment on this? Seams like you would need really good eye sight to fly these things since they get so far away so fast. I can imagine what would happen if you sneezed or got something in your eye while flying one!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Default RE: Better than 20/20 vision required for jets?

Good eye site is a must but the vidoes make it look worse than it is. Some jets are very fast and do require thinking ahead. Once you get used to it, it's no biggie.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

stick time, stick time, and then more stick time. JC!!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:06 AM
My Feedback: (46)

Concentration and throttle management are the main ingredients for staying focused,
Old 08-31-2007, 02:46 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is definitely a problem and it is really easy to get disorientated when flying an unfamiliar plan form such as a delta. As a 60 year old with serious myopia I find I have to really concentrate on the model and to stay one step ahead in my flight plan so I know what the model should be doing at any time. I also avoid flying a fast jet in poor light conditions. Camouflage grey against a grey sky makes things difficult.

Lots of stick time flying fast models is also good.

One thing that has helped me and others that I know is using a set of sunglasses with a particular filter. I get mine to my prescription from this source. http://www.axisoptical.co.uk/rangerinfo.htm

Worth the money.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:38 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Getting use to your plan makes all the difference. What I mean is, there have been times I,ve thought to myself while flying, " If someone handed me the transmitter right now, I would know which way the plane was facing". That might have been when the plane was real far away. It's only that "FEEL" that you get when you have flow a certain plane many times. It's like you can feel it through the radio. Sounds wierd but it's true. Good eye sight does help, sometimes my eyes are not as strong as other days. There are many other factors that can make a model easier or harder to see. Color of the sky, color of the plane and the profile all are important. For example, I don't like flying my grey F-15 on a hazy day. Blue skys and white clouds make it easier to see. Or take a Flash, the profile is great, doesn't matter what color the sky is with that plane.

Billy
Old 08-31-2007, 05:21 AM
My Feedback: (1)

If you're not ahead of the airplane, you're behind, and that spells trouble.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:13 AM
My Feedback: (99)

People ask me frequently after I've landed "with it going that fast how can you possibly see it?" My response...I can't!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got terrible vision naturally (contact prescription is about -6.00 diopters in both eyes), but it is corrected to near 20-20 in both eyes with glasses or contacts. I have never had an issue at the field. The issue now is in the shop. A few years ago at about age 46 my close-up vision started to turn. Now I can't see jack-feces closer than a foot and a half to me. I need 'dem old-guy glasses! AAAaaarrrggghhhHHHH!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 AM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Good vision is definitely a plus. Besides using high vis colors on my planes I got prescription sunglasses that correct my vision to 20-15.

Joe
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Even though its a jet you do not have to fly it "fast" all of the time. There are many sport and scale jets with very comfortable flight envelopes for easy flying and landing.

V..
Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 AM

I've had more trouble seeing regular glow engine planes than some of the jets at the HOH last week.

ORIGINAL: Philo
..........................there have been times I've thought to myself while flying, "If someone handed me the transmitter right now, I would know which way the plane was facing." That might have been when the plane was real far away................
Armchair quarterback here: There are times when you evaluate the plane's orientation, based on the direction it was going when you could see it distinctly. Why would it have suddenly changed headings? It didn't.

Tom
Old 08-31-2007, 02:20 PM

For those who are myopic and middle aged or beyond, please be aware of the symptoms of a detached retina. Any unusual floaters or flashes of light may indicate a retinal tear. Get to an eye doc pronto. Untreated, the tear will lead to a detachment with a gray area encroaching from the edge of your visual field. Detachment is a very serious condition and needs emergency treatment. Sorry to sound alarmist, but my wife has been though hell for the last several weeks with a retinal detachment, and a neighbor had a detachment several months ago. It is easy to take good vision for granted, as I have, but an event like this will make you realize how precious sight is.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: f16jc

stick time, stick time, and then more stick time. JC!!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

That's why, as I get older I fly bigger. That also helps compensate for other things that are shrinking
Old 08-31-2007, 06:52 PM

use smoke!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRfMDzl-Wo
Old 09-01-2007, 09:01 PM

You are not just rellying on what you see.Knowing what you have told the airplane to do with the transmitter also helps,taking your eye off of the model for a split second can make you forget what you are seeing and what you have been telling it to do.Keeping your eye on the jet at all times is a must.A trickle of smoke does help out quite a bit.A jet can get out there a ways quick,when it does in my opinion knowing what I have been doing with the sticks on the transmitter is just as critical as what I am seeing.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 AM
My Feedback: (1)

High Vis paint scheme and concentration. Someone asked me what it is like to
fly jets. I said it is not as much fun (You cant fool around with a jet like you can with a slower prop plane), but it is very very exciting.
Also you don't fly flat out all the time. When you do a full throttle pass, you just concentrate harder and plan your turnaround well in advance.

My High Vis scheme (I need top know which side is UP)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13267.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	756937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33191.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	756938