Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Elan is on Its Way, But what Power?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Elan is on Its Way, But what Power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Elan is on Its Way, But what Power?

You can install a P-120 and turn it down---With a turned down P-120 it has been proven that the 120 will get better fuel economy than a P-80 set to full blow at the same thrust settings....Just food for thought....

How much is the Elan???....I do like the Navy scheme.

Kevin
Old 10-05-2007, 11:52 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

If you only have a p-80 them your are set but if you have a p-80 and p120, then go with p-120 same weight and size as the p-80 but much better fuel economy, just manage your throttle. [8D]
Old 10-06-2007, 12:07 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Per Jetcat the P80 is 2.9lbs and burns 9oz/min max - P120 is 3.1lbs and burns 12oz/min max

So would the P120 be the better choice? Its only 3.2oz heavier and burns 3oz more min max - that doesn't seem like a big enough difference to worry about - or am I wrong?

I'm not looking for speed- its powerful verticals that need added thrust (even if the P120 was turned down a bit)

Any more opinions on this - pro's/con's etc?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:39 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My two cents on this subject are: - Alan has answered the question firstly in his marketing of the model and on this site. He cannot recommend an engine more powerful than his own advice.

Now we all know that people will fit more power than recommended they always have and always will, you cannot modify a car and expect the insurance company to just say “okâ€.

Finally, those who overpower this model must do it responsibly with sensible use of the throttle, remember, if this or any other model is pushed 20% beyond it’s design it will probably come apart. Happy flying.

m
Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 AM
BH Hanson
My Feedback: (217)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Put........

BH Hanson
Old 10-06-2007, 07:28 AM
ThomasP

Sandor, have you tried Al's Hobbies, picked mine up on friday, great service. he he
Old 10-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

A few weeks ago I saw (somewhere) the Elan "options" list. It showed the available "combos" that could be purchased along with the Elan.

There were fuel tank options, landing gear options and turbine engine options.

I can't seem to find it now.

Could someone post a link to it or maybe the actual list please?

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thomas you wind up you
Before Sandor shouts at me again I feel to add that his consignment of kits will leave here Monday morning
I have as yet not made any combo packages for the Elan for the simple fact that the tanks and gear are not available. Right now the Jet 1A Gear is about 3 weeks away and about the same sort of time for the Sullivan tanks.
Now onto the debate about power.........
I fly with Alan alot and I think I have a fair measure on how he works, and to say he is dedicated to this product is an understatement. He really does put everything into the design and constant development of the Boomerang range of aircraft. He is also super cautious and likes to keep things as light and as simple as possible. After Ali this was one of the key design briefs of the very first boomerang and all the models there after. I think like most designers/ creators he feels a little worried when he releases his models to the general public and the new owners decide to operate the model outside of the parameters in which Alan himself has tested them. I know from personal experience.... when I decided to do the first P-80 conversion of the Baby Boomerang, Alan was not so keen to say the least.. Now after hundreds of flights with this combo, as well as setting up this combo in over 30 customer models Alan is finally coming round to the idea that this combination can ( if operated correctly) work well. I also think this operated correctly phrase is the most important aspect of any turbine model. I still believe that even with a P-60 if someone really wants to they can break one of our models, just as I think that any Boomerang with even the largest turbine can be flown safely, as long as throttle management and consideration is used when flying.
It is no secret that during the development phase of the Elan I insisted that Alan and I test the prototype number 1 model with a turbine well above its recommended thrust range. To prove the airframe Alan installed a 30lbs + Trudo turbine and over a period of flights we eventually built up the power settings to where e completed a number of circuits one after the other at a full throttle setting. Of course during this high speed testing I was very cautious of keeping the flight envelope as smooth as possible, with particular attention paid to keeping the G loading as light as possible. Many Many flights even after the testing stages with this same combo showed how well the Elan coped with the larger turbine, and if the truth be known as a pilot I got a great deal of enjoyment out of flying this overpowered set up.
The problem comes as a retailer and as someone who feels someway tied into the whole Boomerang project I would not recommend this same set up. Ideally I would like everyone to share the enjoyment of flying the Elan in rocket ship mode, but I cant be 100% sure that every pilot is going to be mindful of how much extra stress and load is placed on the airframe at these speeds. So for now I am being very conservative with my recommendations.
The long and short of it is that Myself and Alan are very confident that the Elan will cope with turbines in the 120 Class. But we do not want to recommend them outright and encourage people to fly the aircraft in a way which may incur extra risk.
Sorry to waffle on so much, but I hope this helps explain the situation. As always if any of you have any questions relating to this or any other Jet issue please feel free to email me directly on [email protected]
Regards Al
Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent response Ali - thank you for being so honest.

Sad, but there's always some idiot who tries to rip the wings off and will then complain about the manufacturer.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:38 PM
turbinepeter

Good Answer Ali.

If anybody is keen to fit the Jet-1A retracts and landing gear to there Elan, and does Not want to wait the suggested 3 weeks. I can tell you that the XL Jet-1A Retracts, Oleos, and wheels WILL fit, albeit with a little modification.

I have Just been fitting the XL Jet-1A gear to my Elan.

You need to Take a Little off the Firbeglass Tunnel and in turn a little OFF the Hard wood bearer that the retrcat mounts to. This is not ideal, but the amount to be removed is So small, I feel it will not affect the strength too much. Also a 10mm "Packer" is needed to raise the Nosewheel Retract. I could not wait the 3 weeks and wanted to fit nothing other than Jet-1A, and get the Elan ready ASAP.

For grass strips no other Retract/Oleo comes close. (my opinion of course)

Regards

Peter

Old 10-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Undecided
My Feedback: (36)

Turbinepeter

Could we get a few Pics please!!

Thanks, Neal
Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: turbinepeter

Good Answer Ali.

If anybody is keen to fit the Jet-1A retracts and landing gear to there Elan, and does Not want to wait the suggested 3 weeks. I can tell you that the XL Jet-1A Retracts, Oleos, and wheels WILL fit, albeit with a little modification.

I have Just been fitting the XL Jet-1A gear to my Elan.

You need to Take a Little off the Firbeglass Tunnel and in turn a little OFF the Hard wood bearer that the retrcat mounts to. This is not ideal, but the amount to be removed is So small, I feel it will not affect the strength too much. Also a 10mm "Packer" is needed to raise the Nosewheel Retract. I could not wait the 3 weeks and wanted to fit nothing other than Jet-1A, and get the Elan ready ASAP.

For grass strips no other Retract/Oleo comes close. (my opinion of course)

Regards

Peter

Hello Peter

as i told you on the phone,and things i forgot to mention.
the XL oleo,s will not fit in anyway without cutting a good portion of the sidewalls of the tunnel.
the wheel will not fit in anyway without cutting to much into the fuselage.
also the Newer oleo,s have a shorter design in the lower portion of the oleo.
and they are more strait then the "old"ones.
also because the lower portion of the oleo,s are a bit shorter, the model itself will have the CG better located towards the oleo,s.
making the take off short.
also the front oleo is different , the XL retracts forwards , the ELan retracts backwards.
this means if you use the xl oleo you need the flatside of the oleo on the oterside , otherwise it also will not lock.
also in the package included are lift formers that go over the existing 2 rail system of the elan.
we need the bearers to set the angle a bit nose up (longer pin is not recomended for bending).
the Elan package contains also the steering cable,s needed , airbottle , formers , spare springs (2x)
festo material.
and optional 2 electronic jet-1A valves incuding the y-pieces needed.
all the Elan gear is build as we speak , and believe me i got more grey here since the last jetpower....
not because of less orders but more orders...

Old 10-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Undecided

Ok let’s see some new pics of the élan gear package.

What do you think the complete kit price will be with out the elect valves?

How much for just for the jet1-a strut package?

Mm or inch sizing on the stubs that go into the retracts?

Will the retracts be air up spring down?

And most of all when will they be available?

Thanks, Neal

Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 AM
turbinepeter

Photos for those who asked, of XL Jet-1A gear in the Elan.

The install still needs tidying up, and the brake lines moved along with removing the Yellow cable ties!!! as you can see in the photos, but gives you an idea.

Sandor

I take on board what you say, but I could not wait 3weeks and I did not want to fit anything other than the Jet 1A retracts and Oleos.

The mods I did to the Elan are Just the same mods I did to an XL Boomer to make the Jet-1A gear fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27456.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	778735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14234.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	778736  
Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
digitech

Photos for those who asked, of XL Jet-1A gear in the Elan.

The install still needs tidying up, and the brake lines moved along with removing the Yellow cable ties!!! as you can see in the photos, but gives you an idea.

Sandor

I take on board what you say, but I could not wait 3weeks and I did not want to fit anything other than the Jet 1A retracts and Oleos.

The mods I did to the Elan are Just the same mods I did to an XL Boomer to make the Jet-1A gear fit.

ok i understand you want to be the first who has it airborne.

your install is exactly what i mean , on the new design this is not needed..
only a bit of the lower former has to been shortened.
good luck on the maiden...
Old 10-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Undecided

Hello Sandor

Thanks, Neal

Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: Undecided

Hello Sandor

Thanks, Neal

sorry no pics , until ready and send to the dealers to many copycats running around :-)

the complete set is 699 eur,s incuding VAT , or 499 uk pounds , if you are outside europe deduct the price with 19% for the euro and 17% for the uk price

struts are not yet seperate for sale unless you own a jet-1A gear purchased thru OUR dealer network. (we give lifetime warranty)

pickup is 8mm
axles 6mm both made of silversteel

retracts are Air in spring out .

the are machined as we speak , on monday next week they are anodised and tuesday send by DHL to me.
i guess by the end of next week the first production set will go to denmark.
the rest of the sets to the uk and usa .

and now we hop no one gets sick , dhl is on time..........
Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM
turbinepeter

Sandor

First to fy!!! I dont think so.

Our Postal Service has decided to take a 2nd 48hr strike. Just when I am waiting for parts to finish the Elan.

regards

Peter
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
digitech

Sandor

First to fy!!! I dont think so.

Our Postal Service has decided to take a 2nd 48hr strike. Just when I am waiting for parts to finish the Elan.

regards

Peter

i send stuff by parcel force and it seems they are ALWAYS on strike packages get lost or if i send by pigeon they are faster
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Synthetic

turbinepeter,
You may have to move to the U.S. Our postal workers never go on strike and they've never lost a package of mine. Come on over. We've got room for you!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Synthetic

Guys,
Bigger power does not mean always wide open throttle. If you buy a car with 500 horse power... you don't start it up and push the accelerator to the floor and leave it there until you stop. It's nice though to have the power when you need to pull out to pass another car or to go up a steep hill or to do a "burnout" if you want to. Same thing with more turbine power. You don't need to throw the stick wide open and leave it there until you land....