Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pcm Models Av8r Jet Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pcm Models Av8r Jet Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 07:01 PM
fly109
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pcm Models Av8r Jet Trainer

Hey guys,

Just thought I would show you my new jet trainer for turbine operation. This model is designed to be a true entry level sport jet that can be bought, built and flown by just about anyone.
The model has a 70 inch wingspan is 64 inches long weighs in at 16 pounds dry and requires one of the mini 12 pound thrust engines such as a RAM 500 or SimJet 1200. It has a single 50 ounce fuel tank and a 14 hopper.
Construction is all balsa and ply - very similar to the trainers and sport models found everywhere so there are no special skills or tools required to build it. Covering is your favorite shrink wrap!
The AV8R can be flown on as few as 4 channels and requires no special servos. The model has fixed gear with an optional mechanical nose gear that has a door/speed brake. Later varients will include the AV8R-G which is a low wing retractable gear model and for those guys who still want moving parts on the outside, the AV8R-P, a prop version that will retrofit into a turbine model with very little fuss.

I have built two factory prototypes and flown one of them ten flights. The flight charactoristics as you might imagine from the photos are beyond what most turbine sport models are capable of in the slow speed realm. top speed appears to be about 125 so its not a high speed rocket. Turning radious has to be seen to be believed and it can nearly attain zero forward speed with moderate wind. The fuel load on board is sufficient for eight minutes and one flight was logged at a little over 11 minutes.

Take off and landing is cake and is in fact what this model was designed for. You can operate from an average club field with grass or of pavement - it doesn't make any difference.

I would really like to hear what any of you think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4368_767.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	3510  
Old 03-01-2002, 07:12 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Pat

It was great to see you again at Florida Jets. The L1011 is about a month away from flying! I really like the concept behind your new trainer and I think it would open up turbine modeling to many new pilots that fly off of shorter grass fields. As I said, put me down for three of them. I'll have no problem moving them at the price your planning on selling them at !!
Old 03-01-2002, 07:27 PM
Turbinator-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aviator

Hi Pat..

Looks like a great concept. maybe this is what we need as the perfect turbine trainer to please the AMA. Fly it with a hot prop engine first to get your waiver. Then when signed of, you can add the turbine in the tail and fly a plane you already are comfortable with.

Does the plane have flaps also?

Keep us posted on the development, pricing and delivery times please.

Thanks

Peter
Old 03-01-2002, 07:57 PM
fly109

Default AV8R

Turbinator,

Flaps can easily be incorperated into the wing, for those who want to do so, I will show these on the plans. We are going to try to keep the price around $250.00

As for the turbine waiver thing, this is the purpose of my new model. It is my belief, and others as well that a new jet modeler should be able to buy, build and fly anything he wants- up to a certain level - before needing a waiver - just as with other disiplines of RC.

I feel that most jet modelers are certainly as responsible as the majority of the rest of the RC world and probably more responsible. I feel the current system of waivering a pilot before he evens begins needs to be looked into.

Anyway here is another shot of AV8R

Thanks

Name:	4372_767.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	3511  
Old 03-01-2002, 08:35 PM
Bill_Jehle

Default AV8R

Pat,

The AV8R is fantastic. It will fit in the trailer in one piece and our RAM 500 is licking it's lips........sign us up for one. BTW, we fully agree with your views of the future.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:43 PM
azblue

Looks like fun, I wonder if my Jet Cat P-80 dialed down would be to heavy for it?? What do you think?

Andy
Old 03-01-2002, 08:44 PM
Gsmurf1203

Default AV8R

Hey Pat,

I like it, but just my personal opinion, it would be perfect if you droped the wing to the bottom and put retracts on it. Little more cost and complexity, but i think the asthetic value would be worth it. Amen to your waiver recomendations, getting mine is going to be tough. Nice work Pat!
Old 03-01-2002, 09:28 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

What do I think? Simple I WANT ONE!!
Bkf :thumbup:

You can thank Todd who turned me on to it.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:31 PM
sleonard

Default Gsmurf1203

Gsmurf1203

You need to go back and read Pat's original post.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:29 PM
fly109

azblue,

I looked into possibly having this model (AV8R) capable of accepting different sizes of engines such as you suggest but the exhaust plume (did I spell that right?) of the larger turbines is much wider than the small 12 pound thrust turbines.

The wider exhaust plume would begin to interfere with the vertical fins and elevator as well give cause for nose weight.

This along with the extra weight of the engine and subsequent extra weight of the necessary fuel load needed for the larger turbines might push the overall weight too far for the plane to have the charactoristics that it currently has.

If the demand was there I would consider making a larger one for guys like you with the bigger engines.

Meanwhile here is another photo.

Name:	4394_767.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	3512  
Old 03-02-2002, 12:34 AM
Jetguy

I like the idea of having a larger one for say $300.00 for the 17lb thrust range. I vote yes for this size. Anyone else out there agree. This poll will give Pat an idea of the interest in this larger size model. Also Pat can U put up some Pics of what the kit would look like unbuilt right out of the box.
John
Old 03-02-2002, 01:17 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For those interested, here's two more shots that I took last week.

Name:	4397_185.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	3513  
Old 03-02-2002, 01:18 AM
Woketman

And the other.

Name:	4398_185.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	3514  
Old 03-02-2002, 04:51 AM
jbsmith

Default Awsome!

Hey Pat!

The AV8R is absolutly awsome! This is what the jet market has been starving for. I would love to own one! If I could afford the engines I order 2.
When is the pictured prototype going to be available??
Is there already a waiting list?
What is the approximate build time?

Keep up the great work!

Jeremy Smith
Old 03-02-2002, 12:39 PM
bkf

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Jetguy
I like the idea of having a larger one for say $300.00 for the 17lb thrust range. I vote yes for this size. Anyone else out there agree. This poll will give Pat an idea of the interest in this larger size model. Also Pat can U put up some Pics of what the kit would look like unbuilt right out of the box.
John
:thumbup:
Old 03-02-2002, 03:43 PM
fly109

Default AV8R KIT AVAILABILITY, DATES AND PRICING

We plan to be able to put this model out in May of this year. At the current size for sure and possibly a larger size. Exact costs are hard to determine until we actually begin to put parts in a box.

Due to the nature of the kit, they will be produced in much larger quantities than our other models and for this reason I don't think availability will be a problem. I will finalize all the details here within a couple of weeks and post here and on my website at www.flypcm.com

I wanted to get input from modelers in order to make the AV8R as close to what most guys want as possible - before releasing it.
For instance some of you may want all wood built up wings and other may say foam - what do you think?

Thanks for all the response.

Name:	4448_767.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	3515  
Old 03-02-2002, 03:57 PM
Turbinator-inactive

Default Aviator

Pat

Foam wings would be nice. Or if you have the parts laser cut, a simple built-up wing is no biggie. (I hate to have to cut out my own parts.)

$ 250 seems awefully cheap for a turbine jet. Do you plan to include any hardware or is that for a short kit only?

Keep up the good work

Peter
Old 03-02-2002, 04:18 PM
Woketman

I never thought about while looking at the model on the table in Florida, but there is a new maneuver that this thing will be good at: the AV8TR Touch & Go! Leave the nose gear retracted and do T & Gs with the mains all day long. Easy for an Isobar pilot!
Old 03-02-2002, 05:09 PM
bkf

FOAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop typing and make me a new jet kit to build.
17 pound version please.
Im serious, get one together and let me know where to send the money order. Foam only, I hate to build up wings. :thumbup:
Old 03-02-2002, 05:14 PM
jbsmith

Default Wings

Hey Pat.

I would like to see you produce it with an all wood built up wing.
I too don't like to cut out my own parts. That is just my preference, but what ever would keep the price down would be the best.

Best of luck! I don't think you'll need it though!

Jeremy Smith
Old 06-03-2002, 07:45 PM
bkf

Pat: I emailed you a bunch of times. What's the story on the AV8R. (large version). i would really like to consider one. Bkf
Old 06-03-2002, 08:16 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AV8R

Hi Bkf,

Pat is working on a website update as we speak. AV8R will be released for RAM 500 size turbines only. Delivery I believe is in July. Check his website later this week. www.flypcm.com

John
Old 06-04-2002, 05:49 AM
bkf

Thanks JC :thumbup:

Jc: What in your opinion is the reasons a larger turbine can not be used. Is it thrust, weight, physical size etc. Im just nosy cause I love his concept and design.

I still think im going to get one. I know there is a way to make it work. Even going as far as adding wing surface area etc. I can try the design with a glow engine while using simulated weights where necessary. I don't know why im so attracted to this plane but I am.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:49 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AV8R

bkf,

Weight is the major reason I think. Try imagine the modifications to your Roo if you decided to strap an Olympus on it. Unpractical and potentially unsafe

Pat's prototype had an engine with 10 Lbs measured thrust. This was more than enough for short field take off and lots of performance. i have flown the prototype a couple of times and it is a perfect combination. Right now I’m just waiting for Pat to get a new engine for the plane so i can get some more stick time on the thing.

JC
Old 06-04-2002, 05:31 PM
bkf

Will do Sir

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.