Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F14 Tomcat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F14 Tomcat

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 06:07 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

So I finally got around to to checking a couple things on my tomcat and I am curious about what has caused four of these to crash here in the states or at least that is what was reported on here? We all know what happened when only one crashed from another brand, not to start a huge flaming war but has anyone that has crashed one identified the problems and sent this to SM? I know from him posting one went down to possible servo arm bending but what about the others? I only ask because the only thing really holding me back from flying mine is the unknown. So just to help others out I also wanted to give some new mods I am going to recommend if anyone ask me. The first is to check your rudder mount bracket bolts, they may appear tight but check after the first flight because its a thin soft ply used for this bulkhead. Second, the servo boxes for the stabs, it is made of the same soft ply which is doubled up to make about a 1/4 in thick, it is soft and the screws just dont hold, I wish sm would stop using the this stuff except for equipment trays. Lastly, dont use the stock rudder servo rods unless you run a carbon tube over them. I welcome any ideas or thoughts about my mods or to the above comment, im not trying to start a big argument I just want a safe model that I don't have to worry about hurting someone. Thanks up front
Old 03-29-2016, 07:42 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the record, mine didn't crash, actually bellied in quite reasonably considering being crippled, damn subsequent fire though....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0310.jpg
Views:	3013
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	2155077  
Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 PM
FenderBean

You had a failure which led to the end result, if this was your fault okay but you posted the arm bent causing slop that caused flutter. The resulting bad landing was due to the stab not working correctly was it not?
Old 03-29-2016, 08:28 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all in the report in one of my previous posts, good luck Keith!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Barry explained why his crashed. Says a lot that he still had control. EDFJim has posted a solve for that. From what I've been told, another went down because of a build error on the rudder linkage. I haven't heard about the other two crashes. Regardless, this plane is leaps and bounds better designed than that other brand. Mine will be here soon and I look forward to flying it.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:48 AM
Mikey5547

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What scheme did you choose for your F14?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:19 AM
dubd

Originally Posted by Mikey5547
What scheme did you choose for your F14?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F-14-014-W1.jpg
Views:	1538
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2155110  
Old 03-30-2016, 05:21 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by marquisvns
It's all in the report in one of my previous posts, good luck Keith!
Barry like said I already knew about your issue from your post, not trying to make you mad. The other unknown crashes are the ones I was curious about. Thanks
Old 03-30-2016, 05:22 AM
dubd

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Barry like said I already knew about your issue from your post, not trying to make you mad. The other unknown crashes are the unknowns. Thanks
Aside from the crash due to the rudder linkage setup, what are the other crashes?

Last edited by dubd; 03-30-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:24 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd

Sweet
Old 03-30-2016, 05:46 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Barry like said I already knew about your issue from your post, not trying to make you mad. The other unknown crashes are the ones I was curious about. Thanks
When I was looking at the one that went in at TopGun last year it had tons of slop on the rudder hinge pin along with the bad servo connection. I checked the other F14 that was their and it also had allot of play on the rudders at the hinge pin. More then I would feel comfortable flying with. Keep in mind these where very early F14s and probably have changed since then.

I think Jim has proved how durable this plane is with how he cranks and yanks on it. Hell he even flew it through a tree top at my home field and had it flying the next day.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 AM
Mikey5547

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My fav scheme hope you post some pics when it arrives!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:59 AM
dubd

Originally Posted by Mikey5547
My fav scheme hope you post some pics when it arrives!
I most definitely will!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:01 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by gunradd
When I was looking at the one that went in at TopGun last year it had tons of slop on the rudder hinge pin along with the bad servo connection. I checked the other F14 that was their and it also had allot of play on the rudders at the hinge pin. More then I would feel comfortable flying with. Keep in mind these where very early F14s and probably have changed since then.

I think Jim has proved how durable this plane is with how he cranks and yanks on it. Hell he even flew it through a tree top at my home field and had it flying the next day.
Hey Gun, yeah mine had the same play from the holes in the hinges being drilled to large, that's a common problem with SM. Not taking anything away from Jim but his tomcat is built light, no cockpit or any of the external items which mine will have. That's why I asked the tough question about this jet to determine if these are just random bad luck events or could it be something to do with setups or more. I know nobody likes negative comments about sm but since very few people have this jet rcu is the only source for information. It really feels like everyone is taking my post as a personal attack or something? This is not my intent, I get question from all over the world from my youtube build videos so I like to give accurate information to help people not throw money away. Thanks for the info Gun I forgot about the FL jets one that had the rudder issue, if I remember correctly it had the single horn instead of the new design of two.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:04 AM
dubd

In the interest of providing accurate information, please state what happened with the other crashes in the US. You mentioned a total of 4 and we know what happened with 2. The more we know, the better the chances of each of us having success with this model.

Last edited by dubd; 03-30-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:31 AM
FenderBean

In the interest of providing accurate information, please state what happened with the other crashes in the US. You mentioned a total of 4 and we know what happened with 2. The more we know, the better the chances of each of us having success with this model.
This was my intent, just trying to save myself and others to come the heart ache. I love the jet and I would like to show it off at events, I would hate to lose it or worse hurt someone because I didn't ask a question.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:06 AM
EDFJim
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey hey let's forget about the tree .. that thing jumped up and attacked me. There are two sizes of piano wire in this model the smaller wire is for the wing hatches the larger wire is on the rudder and flaps. one of my rudders came with the small size wire ( causing slop) from the factory and I had to change it.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:35 AM
EDFJim

there are two weak points in the flaps. The steel rod that has a 45 bend in it is very strong and has a flat in it to fit into the aluminum hub that bolts to the servo disk. the flat has a M4 set screw. the flat part of the aluminum hub is starting to open up and distort letting the steel shaft twist causing slop. SM should put out a stronger steel hub for a fix. second weak point are the plates in the flap that the store shaft moves in. groves form in the fiberglass plates from the steel rod causing slop in the flaps up position. a thin steel U channel at the up position would be a good fix .. I'm working on that now and will post pics in a few weeks.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by EDFJim
hey hey let's forget about the tree .. that thing jumped up and attacked me. There are two sizes of piano wire in this model the smaller wire is for the wing hatches the larger wire is on the rudder and flaps. one of my rudders came with the small size wire ( causing slop) from the factory and I had to change it.
Tree? your not talking about your current tomcat are you? I did check this, the wire for my rudders and flaps is thicker than the top hatch wires. I added hysol to the horns and let it set awhile then pushed the rod through to give it that nice fit. I may try getting a larger wire, the wire size FB uses would be perfect for these larger models. Jim you going to MS jets?
Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 AM
EDFJim

main gear need high pressure 120 psi to retract and have the strut compressed and released to have fluid moved around to lube the internal rotating parts . gear needs to extend slow or it will be damaged when it slams down. I use 1 jetronic valve for each main with the throttle function used with 6 second time for extension and 1 sec for retraction . also need air pressure on the mains to stay extended or they will fold on the ground( I made gear locks when my power is off).
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 AM
EDFJim

Tree? your not talking about your current tomcat are you? I did check this, the wire for my rudders and flaps is thicker than the top hatch wires. I added hysol to the horns and let it set awhile then pushed the rod through to give it that nice fit. I may try getting a larger wire, the wire size FB uses would be perfect for these larger models. Jim you going to MS jets?
not talking about the tree
Old 03-30-2016, 09:03 AM
FenderBean

The gear on mine has been a big issue as well, did SM send you the updated air lock cylinders? If so do you still need to slow the gear coming down? With my mechanical valves not sure how to slow down one side unless I can put some type of servo travel slow on one direction. Danny Diaz made a stop bracket for his I thought about trying that method. I have two valves for the mains with both feeding the nose.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EDFJim
main gear need high pressure 120 psi to retract and have the strut compressed and released to have fluid moved around to lube the internal rotating parts . gear needs to extend slow or it will be damaged when it slams down. I use 1 jetronic valve for each main with the throttle function used with 6 second time for extension and 1 sec for retraction . also need air pressure on the mains to stay extended or they will fold on the ground( I made gear locks when my power is off).
Did you use the air lines that came with it, change 'em out, or even go bigger on the mains?

I bought Danny's F-14 and have been trying to figure out what the best way to fix the retract issue would be since it's got a bit of a problem with the left main getting all the way retracted. He told me it was fixed but even sitting on the bench it doesn't want to play so with an air load it'll be worse. I've not tried going to 120psi yet, I may go do that before I start tearing stuff apart other than what I need to get the water out of the systems....

My builder guys changed out the Jetronic valve on the retracts to a mechanical so it'll leave air pressure on the gear when they put the new engines in it, but I'll need to build some little blocks as a just in case/out of air deal for the gear. That also will leave me the option of slowing down the servo that operates the gear valve on the extension side of the operation. Now I've not explored the idea of slowing the servo down in one direction, but if this 18MZ can't do it I don't know what would. Keith, if you figure that one out, how about letting me know??

Last edited by Zeeb; 03-30-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:02 PM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Hi Jim, what servos did you use on your horizontal stabs......did you use SM's servo arm

Thanks Dave
Old 03-30-2016, 04:03 PM
FenderBean

Will do on the servo slow, I know how to do it in the radio but not sure if my fail safe will allow for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.