Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Leaking Jet Legend F16 1/8 scale retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Leaking Jet Legend F16 1/8 scale retracts

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking Jet Legend F16 1/8 scale retracts

I have just built my Jet Legend 1/8th scale F16 which I bought direct from JL.. The retracts are beautifully made. The only problem is, I cannot get the small secondary air cylinders to stop leaking air. I have tried various silicone agents with little or no success. The action of the cylinders is very loose, like the seals are not a large enough diameter for the cylinder.
I have emailed JL a number of times & get no response. I am now left with having to source these cylinders elsewhere. They look like the UPS type. The outside size is 5/16th diameter, with a half inch stroke.
Does anyone know a supplier of cylinders this size?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:03 AM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Leaking Jet Legend F16 1/8 scale retracts

Had the same problem with my JL F-18 retracts. Ultimately solved it by disassembling the cylinder and thoroughly saturating the O-ring with Vaseline. Worked like a charm after that. I think it must swell the O-ring somewhat. I too tried BV's silicone sealent which would work one time or two then right back to blowing by the O-ring. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Rob
Old 11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Jim Cattanach

Many thanks for the suggestion. I tried vaseline along with many other lubricants to no avail. I have removed the cylinders & I can feel roughness inside them when the piston is moved. I think the O rings are damaged, but cannot dismantle them as they are sealed. New ones are going to be the only fix.
The only ones that will fit are 1&3/8th inch body length & diameter of 1/4 or 5/16 inch.
I am disappointed that Jet legend do not respond to customers when they have a problem.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM
jeff sewell
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Jim,

I'm not getting much response either and I have adjusted my spares order to accommodate the parts you need too.

I hope to hear something soon...

Jeff
Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 PM
iiievolution

Hi Jim

Also check the spark 3 way connectors that came with them. On my one all of them leaked and then I checked a few I had in stock and they all leaked as well. At first they might seem ok but by applying very little side force to the nipple you can hear the hissing of the leak. There is 0 leakage from my cylinders.

Thanks

Paul
Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Jim Cattanach

Hi Paul. Yes, I had a couple of the connectors leak. You are lucky with the cylinders. I must have got a Friday finishing time, or Monday morning set. I will fix them somehow, even if I have to make up cylinders myself.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 AM
cairoman

Pavlo,

You should lend your set to Jim, since you are not going to fly yours in the next three years and he flys the crap out of his until such day when Yang pulls his thumb out of his ar$$e and decides to reply to Jim's emails.

Chris
Old 12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
iiievolution

Hi Jim

I have a set of the smallest UP cylinders, the ones you mentioned here and by putting them side by side with the jetlegend ones they are too big. I dont think you will get them in. I think the smallest cylinder from skymaster might fit.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Jim Cattanach

Hi Paul. I have just received the three smallest available Skymaster cylinders & they are about 1/4" too long to fit. After much head scratching, I managed to modify them & they work perfectly. No more leaks.

Still no response from Jet Legend. CUSTOMER CARE IT SEEMS IS NON EXISTENT [:@].
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 AM
Jim Cattanach

Finally received an email from Jet legend. They are in the process of designing a new small air cylinder, as they have had problems with the old design. Yang says he will send them as soon as they are finished & tested.
I have cured the problem by modifying the smallest Skymaster cylinders which do not leak.