Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F-4 - attaching wing tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F-4 - attaching wing tanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:15 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Yellow F-4 - attaching wing tanks

I will soon need to make a method of attaching the Phantom's dummy drop tanks to the wings. Has any got a good method that will withstand the G loads and air pressure associated with high speed model jets?

The tanks need to be removeable. I came up with a strong method for my Skyhawk but it is a bit heavy and the pylon is too wide for scale. I envisage that the pylon will be permanently attached to the wing, just the tank needs to be removeable, though a removeable pylon would be better if possible. The F-4 wing is very thin at the attachment point, little more than 1cm thick. The pylon should be no more than 3/16" thick. I have some ideas but would like to hear from anyone who has a proven method.

tia

Harry
Old 11-27-2007, 06:38 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F-4 - attaching wing tanks

Hi Harry I also have a F-4 that I am getting ready to start on What are you using for a power plant and fuel tanks?On my ducted fan F-4 it had hard wood blocks with blind nuts in them.I plan on using a P-70.

Thanks Frank
Old 11-28-2007, 04:33 AM
HarryC

Frank,

I will be fitting a PST J600R of 14lbs thrust. For the real fuel tanks I will wait until the engine is fitted and then decide when I see what space there is, I may make my own custom saddle tanks.

Harry
Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Harry,

I embed two 3/16" brass tubes into the pylon with the top end against a plywood "cap" on the pylon and the other end flush with the pylon bottom. The pylon is secured to a threaded hard point (maple or ply block) in the wing with 1/8th inch bolts through the brass tubes. The tank is attached with two brass tubes (next smaller size) that are glued all the way through the tanks. They slide up inside the pylon tubes and are secured with short 2-56 bolts through both tubes into a tapped hard block on the opposite side of the pylon.

Very secure and easy to install/remove.

Here are some pics of my BVM F-4 tank install. Hope this makes sense.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98897.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	813988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14944.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	813989  
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
HarryC

Thanks for that Craig. It's a variation of one of my ideas, but is slimmer and neater, I might well use it.

Harry