Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powermax alternative

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powermax alternative

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Powermax alternative

I know some have had trouble getting Powermax, and of course there are rumors about its continued availability.

Powermax is really nothing more than a propane and butane mix, in a can with a clunk, so when you hold it upright, you get liquid out of it instead of gas.

In any case, I know of at least 4 brands of this gas mixture on the market. (Camping Gaz, MSR, Gigapower and Primus).

I have been using Primus with this 15 buck valve from Peter at Altecare. Works fine, just hold the can upside down. The gas is much easier to find than power max and the valve is about a 3rd the cost of the powermax trigger valves.

Anyway, just an FYI

Regards,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68047.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	814356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34080.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	814357  
Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Powermax alternative

Good find, Matt. Others have already done this but I've been thinking about ditching the onboard Powermax start gas tank altogether and just going back to garden variety propane with the ramp hook up to the onboard start gas solenoid. Remember the good old days? I got one of the tricky little valves shown below from an unnamed source in Canada whose initials are Great Northern Models.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89660.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	814423  
Old 11-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Wayne22

I've gone to the green can too..fires first time, every single time...have to chuckle when I see other guys shaking the beeejezuz out of their powermax cans trying to get the turbine to light..........
Old 11-29-2007, 01:03 AM
SinCityJets

Wayne,

how does the straight propane do in the cold months??
Old 11-29-2007, 06:37 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I removed all my tanks from my jets and have gone straight propane with the Great Northern valve. I now get the easiest smoothest starts I've ever had.
Dom
Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Wayne,

how does the straight propane do in the cold months??
Actually, I talked to Bob Wilcox about that a few years ago when we were having trouble starting some JetCats when the temperature was 40 degrees. After he told me that "we can't test how they start when its that cold" (SoCal pukes ) he suggested that Propane would be better than Powermax when its cold because it has higher partial pressure so it will turn to gas better in the cold (you may not even need the regulator when its cold).

Bob
Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I know some have had trouble getting Powermax, and of course there are rumors about its continued availability.

Powermax is really nothing more than a propane and butane mix, in a can with a clunk, so when you hold it upright, you get liquid out of it instead of gas.

In any case, I know of at least 4 brands of this gas mixture on the market. (Camping Gaz, MSR, Gigapower and Primus).

I have been using Primus with this 15 buck valve from Peter at Altecare. Works fine, just hold the can upside down. The gas is much easier to find than power max and the valve is about a 3rd the cost of the powermax trigger valves.

Anyway, just an FYI

Regards,

arent these a bit tricky?
1 :they are thin ., and break easely
2 you have to make a Close rotation to open the valve.. very confusing and i have seen someone,s eyebrows burned of because of this...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

How about kero start...

V..
Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 AM
1Eye

Bob wrote ...
I talked to Bob Wilcox about that a few years ago when we were having trouble starting some JetCats when the temperature was 40 degrees. After he told me that "we can't test how they start when its that cold"
Next time you talk to Bob tell him to send a bunch of turbines to me and Wayne22 - hey, we'll fly (er, test) the cr@p out of them in our colder climes! It's a balmy 26F here right now.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"we can't test how they start when its that cold"
B.S.! Jetcat has enough reps. spread around the country that they could easily test it if they wanted to.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

"we can't test how they start when its that cold"
B.S.! Jetcat has enough reps. spread around the country that they could easily test it if they wanted to.
I believe that he was saying that they couldn't test (or adjust) how every engine starts in colder temperatures and his comments were partially tongue-in-cheek directed to me standing out in the 40 degree weather with the NASA folks trying to get a P-120 started when it was about 75 degrees that day at JetCat USA...

Bob
Old 11-29-2007, 02:59 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulled out all my onboard tanks years ago. Use the GNM regulator, green bottle plugged into a one way festo from the solinoid. Starts first time every time, no POP as there is no liquid gas getting into the combustion chamber. Scott
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Bigdeal10

I start and fly my P-60 at -20 below all the time. All I ever use is powermax! Just keep the can warm in your vehicle or jacket.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
SinCityJets

Just an FYI:

I just spoke with Coleman today ref Powermax. I was told they have absolutely no intention of stopping production of powermax. He also about crapped when I told him what we used it for. I told him if he re-labeled it "Jet Starting Gas" he could probably get another $2 per can I hope he doesn't take that advice [sm=72_72.gif]