Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BEC'S

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Don Reger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEC'S

Anybody using BEC'S instead of voltage regulators?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:45 PM
rhklenke

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: BEC'S

Don't know what you mean BEC's vs. voltage regulators... Technically speaking, a BEC is a voltage regulator... Are you asking about switching regulators vs. linear ones?

Bob
Old 12-03-2007, 11:16 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don, You may get more answers from the people in the Electric RC Jets/Planes section. I haven't heard any talk about Battery Elimination Circuitry in these threads.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:23 PM
rhklenke

Again, a BEC is a voltage regulator - its just a term that is used typically to refer to a voltage regulator that is built into an ESC (electronic speed control) used in an electric airplane. Why would you use a BEC that is in an ESC when you don't need the ESC in the jet? Am I missing something? Also, be aware that most BECs that are built into ESCs have relatively low current ratings WRT voltage regulators that are designed for high-current applications like jets and large-scale aircraft...

Bob
Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 AM
john4648

I think what Don is after is anyones experiences using a switching regulator like Castles 10Amp BEC vs a linear regulator like a Fromenco' or similar.

Thanks

John
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 AM
rhklenke

The Duralite regulators claim to be switching type regulators, but I don't know of many others that have the higher current ratings necessary for jets. I was not aware that Castle had a separate BEC available, is that so?

Bob
Old 12-04-2007, 01:16 AM
john4648

Hi Bob,

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html

Yes, a switching regulator. I am using it for rx/servo power on my lower voltage, larger plane electrics with good success. I am not a jet flyer but a friend of Dons. We were having a discussion about regulators and types when I asked if any of the Jet guys were using the Castle or something like it. He was not sure hence the post. Also I should say I have not tested the Castle BEC for thermal characteristics ref/comparing the shut down of loaded/overloaded linear regulators. The Castle does not have a heatsink. There is a warning on the castle label that the device does need airflow for cooling, they call it a 5mph air movement. The device is also derated at higher voltages. As with most of what we use a lot is left for the user to sort out....

Thanks
John
Old 12-04-2007, 09:03 AM
rhklenke

Interesting, I have not seen that before. As I said, the Duralites are switching type regulators, but I actually had one shutdown due to thermal issues too, so I stopped using it and switched exclusively to Fromeco.

The regulators in the jets (and giant scale) are subject to higher current loads, but the input voltages don't have to be as high as with electric stuff. A switching regulator would be nice because of the higher efficiency, but I'd have to be convinced that it could really handle the higher current loads. My experience with the Fromeco for the jet application has been very positive - no over heating issues at all.

Bob
Old 12-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Kool Flight Systems UBEC has been the Standard for years. They have different models.

http://koolflightsystems.com/ultimatebec.htm

I use one in my Jepe F-16 that is powered by an 8S pack

ORIGINAL: Don Reger

Anybody using BEC'S instead of voltage regulators?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:54 PM
speed run
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Don,
You need to just put Kero in and fly. Do not mess with the technical stuff it will bite.
Good to hear from you.
Thanks Mike Kirby