Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

ITEMS STOLEN FROM TRAILER

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

ITEMS STOLEN FROM TRAILER

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
pjpc6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITEMS STOLEN FROM TRAILER

Monday night my trailer was broken into and the items below were stolen, any information on anyone trying to sell these items would be very helpful.
I live in Plantation and fly at Markham Park airfield. Contact number is 954-303-4428. Thanks for any information given.

JR 10X Radio ( the transmitter has an access code)
Fromco 5 battery charger
Green and Beidge tool box with assorted tools and one RTI Data Terminal
Assorted internal parts for Wren Turbo Prop and Data Terminal
CO2 fire extinguisher
1500 watt power supplie

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13906.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	818599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24244.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	818600  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ITEMS STOLEN FROM TRAILER

Hi Joe

best of luck getting your stuff back mate.

Regards
Jason
Old 12-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry for your loss....been there, done that............

I think I see what could be a Graupner sticker on the door.....Are you advertising what is/was inside?
On many other threads on RCU, numerous folks have reported similar break-ins and thefts from trailers....it seems that one of the common threads with this type of burglary is that usually there is some form of RC advertising on the outside to let potential theives know that your valuable RC gear is inside.

On my trailer, I keep the outside free of RC advertising.....as previously posted, maybe the best form of trailer art is to have a sewage treatment or septic tank company advert in prominent sight instead of our favorite RC companies logos.
Just my .02 worth.

Hope your equipment is recovered, and the thieves prosecuted.

Some years ago, thieves broke into my Astro Van and stole about $10,000.00 worth of equipment in front of a motel in Mesa Az. My homeowners policy covered the entire loss. The only item recovered was a RAM 750F turbine at a local hobby shop in Az., and I had to recover it myself.
Check your home owners policy for auto/trailer contents coverage.........

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
F-16 Skywalker

Sorry for the loss, I can relate.
Had a $700 aircraft go down in a cornfield back in mid 90's with all new internals and new eng.
new exlactly where it went in, when several from my club went to retrieve it it was gone, later
that next week a dude trying to sell my parts were at our local hobby shop(How Stupid Can He Get), dude got banned from our club but legally couldnt prove he done it.
Honesty is always the best policy in my thought.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
pbusa1400

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS JOE
Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 PM
mdelzer

Joe,

Glad to see your Pilatus is still intact, sorry for the loss of the rest of your gear. Whose plan or kit is the Pilatus built from?

Mark
Old 12-04-2007, 08:40 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Man Joe...that just Sucks! Will keep my eyes out on this end of town for you []
Old 12-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your loss Joe.

Too late for this time around, but for your future trailer protection, you may want to consider http://www.protecsystemone.com/trailer.htm - great system, especially when you use the pager option.

Or - move to Canada. Based on a prior thread, our colleauges there tell us that theft from trailers never, ever, happens in Canada
Old 12-05-2007, 12:01 AM
rhklenke

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Sorry for your loss....been there, done that............

I think I see what could be a Graupner sticker on the door.....Are you advertising what is/was inside?
On many other threads on RCU, numerous folks have reported similar break-ins and thefts from trailers....it seems that one of the common threads with this type of burglary is that usually there is some form of RC advertising on the outside to let potential theives know that your valuable RC gear is inside.

On my trailer, I keep the outside free of RC advertising.....as previously posted, maybe the best form of trailer art is to have a sewage treatment or septic tank company advert in prominent sight instead of our favorite RC companies logos.
Just my .02 worth.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Hi Harley,

I've gotta' differ with you on that one. The one local guy I know who had an unmarked model trailer broken into found out when the guys were caught, they said they were breaking in looking for tools. When they found model stuff, they took it anyway thinking that they might as well get something for it (I don't think they had gotten much sold when they got caught). A few months ago, a trailer was stolen locally that belonged to a stained glass store and that was marked on the outside. When they found the trailer, virtually everything was still inside untouched. The thieves simply snatched it not even thinking about what was inside, opened it up, found nothing that was easy to fence for cash, and dumped it. The value of the contents was over $20,000 in stained glass inventory...

In this breakin, they left a $7000 aircraft and took a bunch of stuff that looked like tools, including a 10X transmitter that is just this side of useless to the average person (including a modeler) without the access code. Unmarked trailers generally have expensive, easy-to-sell contractor's tools in them and are much more likely to be broken into than a trailer that obviously has "toy" airplanes in it. I believe that if you checked the statistics of trailer breakins you'd find no correlation to what may (or may not) be marked on the outside...

Bob
Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Truly the Porta Potty designation is the way to go. True, it makes it embarrassing to drive down the highway, but no one wants to touch stuff related to poo. Eewwwwww.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Bob...,
You can differ if you want, but you know as well as I, that there have been plenty of reports here on RCU involving trailer break-ins, and it does appear that many if not all of the trailers were well "marked."
Also, since thieves are generally looking for something to sell or pawn, so why not make them guess what's inside?

Mine is still "Plain Vanilla."

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 12-05-2007, 12:31 AM
flyexperimental

They do not care what is inside.as long as it is something of value.They will break in to see what is on the inside no matter what is on the outside of the trailer.We spend thousands on these jets,spend a few hundred and put an alarm on your trailer at least scare them off or catch the dirtbags in the act.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:57 AM
martinan

Sorry to hear about your loss Joe, it's a shame..I hope you get all your gear back.

Andre.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 AM
KC36330

i have to somewhat agree with Bob, the type people who brake into your trailer aren't of enough intelligence in most cases to even read what is on the side. we had one (plain white, no markings at all what so ever on it) that had NOTHING at all inside it, so we didn't lock the back door and had some idiots cut the lock off the side door to get in, mind you again the back door was unlocked. as my grandmother always said, you can't fix stupid.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 AM
WrenTurbines

Joe,

So sorry to hear this. PM me please and tell me which parts of the Turboprop are missing, I'll see what I can find here in the way of replacements.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Old 12-05-2007, 08:57 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Maybe put a Diamonds sticker on the outside and a Pit Bull on the inside, HA! Sorry to here about the break in, I do my best to rid the free world of scum bags one at a time.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think we all need "Trunk Monkeys". They work very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geynA-JYDHE

Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 PM
BalsaBob

Sorry about your loss Joe. Glad to see that they did not steal or trash your airplane.

As far as trailer break-ins, do most occur at the event site .... or do most occur at the hotel ? When attending an event, do you think it is better to unhook the trailer and leave it at the event site (provided other people are RVing there overnight in the general area) ? or bring the trailer to the hotel ?

I know that much would depend on how many fellow modelers would be staying overnight on site .... but my feeling is that a hotel parking lot would be where the trailer contents are most at risk ? ? ? Bob
Old 12-05-2007, 04:02 PM
martinan

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I think we all need "Trunk Monkeys". They work very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geynA-JYDHE

Too funny!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

My trailer is plain Jane white...and one day it was very empty. Took less than 45 minutes in a mall parking lot for me to be down 8k in RC gear....now my trailer never leaves my sight when it is outside my garage, ever.

If you think your stuff is safe in a trailer, regardless of what you have on the outside you are just fooling yourself.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:44 PM
jeteye

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry about your loss Joe. I had a theft a few years ago, after that I had an alarm installed in the new trailer. Everyone will be on the lookout hopefully. Glad you still have that award winning airplane.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: F-18DiamondBack102

My trailer is plain Jane white...and one day it was very empty. Took less than 45 minutes in a mall parking lot for me to be down 8k in RC gear....now my trailer never leaves my sight when it is outside my garage, ever.

If you think your stuff is safe in a trailer, regardless of what you have on the outside you are just fooling yourself.
The message is not simply just "Don't put anything on your trailer".
The message is "put deceiving graphics on it" that remove the temptation because of the likelyhood of disgusting contents.

True, there are those scummy enough to not care how disgusting those contents might be, but...you will be deterring a large portion of criminal element, lessening the odds that you become a victim.

I do feel sorry for anyone who is a victim of A•holios who would break into and steal others stuff. Anyway to electrify a trailer so that attempts would be made with shocking results?