Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Advice on a new paint gun

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Advice on a new paint gun

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:58 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Advice on a new paint gun

I'm in the market for a new paint gun and would like to hear from some of the painting gurus out there. I'm looking for a touch up gun that can take over some of the small to medium jobs I do with my airbrush and still handle shooting clear on an entire plane. I'll also me buying a new compressor so I can size it to fit the gun. From what I've seen on line I can get what appears to be a good gun kit with all the tips and such for under $200. I have no problem spending that much money, I just don't want to waste it on an expensive set up when a cheaper one will do. Please be as specific as possible and assume I know nothing about paint guns, because I don't.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Advice on a new paint gun

i use a Binks Mach 1 and a 2001 on a pressure pot for large jobs and a Binks 115 for touch-up, they are 1st class guns all the way. truth be known the 2001 is the best all around gun for the $$$ and works great as a production gun on the pot and is very versatile with a small cup for touch-ups and small jobs.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

I'll second the Binks. Also have an Astro brand touch up gun that sprays GREAT.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Sata Minijet...I've shot everything from primer to clear using the same tip(s), great controls, lots of flexibility, and easy to use and clean. Efficient use of air as well. Get the larger (6 or 8 oz.?) aluminum cup if you want to use it as your primary gun.

It is still my go-to for small to medium jobs, even though I've moved up to a bigger Sata for most larger jobs now.

Barry
Old 12-07-2007, 05:41 PM
KC36330

I've used a SATA digital and i must say that the Binks Mach 1 out sprays it 2-1 and is about half the price.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:53 PM
SPLIT S

Binks is one of the grand old names in spray equipment. Many, many years ago I learned to spray using a Binks 7, the "firehose" gun of it's day. The 2001 was introduced to replace the just as famous Model 18, made a bit smaller and lighter than it's famous 18 cousin. The 115 was and still is an excellent jamb gun. But in today's automotive world neither have any place, having been made obsolete by environmental VOC regulation. I'm not knocking them, just stating fact.

Just about any jamb gun you can find will easily handle spraying an entire jet. Painters in my line of business are just as loyal to their gun as people are to Chevy, Ford, Benz..... you get the idea. Whatever gun you decide on be sure to do yourself a favor and make certain that replacement parts, packing kits and the like are readily available. Many knock off brands spray just fine for the average person but you may find your gun has become a paperweight if you should damage a part or lose a piece. It's a long row to China.[&o] Ideally it would be best to try a gun first, whether through a friend or the local jobber. They all do handle a bit different than the next. Some people like more fluid flow, some less. Some like the feel of the gun better than another. I have over 400 accounts out of my paint store, some will swear by DeVilbiss or SATA or Iwata or Accuspray or Binks or Sharpe...it goes on and on. And all can't understand why the next guy doesn't like the other's gun!!!!!![:@]

Now that I have confused you, I'll give you a basic rundown of what decisions you'll have to make in your choices. Keep in mind the analogy that a Pontiac will get you to work just the same as a BMW. One just does it in a little ( well maybe alot ) more style but one is going to cost you more to do it - understand?

HVLP vs. Conventional - what the h$%^ is that??? Conventional guns use smaller amounts of air but at higher pressures at the gun head to properly atomize the paint. You are using brute force to bust the paint up and get it on to your vehicle (or plane). An unwanted result is relatively large amounts of overspray as a direct result from the higher pressures. This is exactly why they have become the dinosaurs they are. ( And illegal in some states to use in business ). This describes the Binks 2001 and 115. HVLP on the other hand stands for High Volume / Low Pressure. This type of gun uses a larger amount of air at a lower pressure to atomize the paint. The arrangement allows for a softer spray resulting in much less overspray. The choice as to which to use, from a hobbyist standpoint, is up to you. Both can and do work very well but HVLP is probably what you will see more of at the local autobody supply store. This describes the Binks Mach 1.

What brand??? As I said earlier - different strokes for different folks. There are many experienced painters on RCU that I'm sure have their preferences and I don't want to get into an argument with any of them - but here goes anyways....

Binks... Great equipment. Good parts availability. A little outdated but a tried and true name. Middle of the road cost wise.

DeVilbiss.... Also great equipment. The SRI jamb gun is a leader in it's field. True HVLP but a little more cash. BTW, DeVilbiss bought Binks years ago.......

Sharpe.... The Finex jamb gun is a great gun for the money - about $80 or so...decent parts availabilty, you either love them or hate them - also HVLP.

Iwata and SATA.... The BMW and Benz of the field.... Excellent machining, first class all the way. Top of the price range. Parts are expensive. If you like caviar this is it for you. MiniJet 1,2,3, and the latest 4. Skip the digital - bells and whistles.....

Astro, ATD and others.... Usually copies of their famous cousins ( on the outside ). Good spraying guns but beware of parts availability. Bottom of the price range. Don't shrug these off. For the average person they are fine. Keep them clean and they can serve you well for years.

Hope all this wasn't too long and helped you a bit. Best of luck.

Dan