Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum/JR Binding inconsistencies!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum/JR Binding inconsistencies!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum/JR Binding inconsistencies!!

I have a 10X with the spektrum 2.4 conversion. I added a fourth JR rx (red plastic color) and after binding, the LED on the red rx is blinking! and sometimes I get proper connection to the plane and sometimes I do not (this is on the ground at this time).

Also, after binding, the retract gear cycles up and down upon power up! I know there was a JR/spektrum note about that issue, but I can't find it any more on their websites.

I am using all digital servos to avoid the issue with analog servos. But I am still having a problem where upon power up, sometimes it binds to the Tx and some times it does not. If I turn OFF the TX and then back on, some times it binds properly.

I was using a fourth remote rx from the DX7 system, I found out that it was causing binding issues. I am using tow 5 cell JR 1800 mah.

So, if I confused you, join the club!! The basic problem is that binding is good about 50% of the time and the retracts cycle upon power up. Range is excellent with/without trubine. The conversion was purchased from Chief about 6 months ago, so there may be some software changes? (their websites say all JR/spektrum rx are compatible)...

thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:11 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spektrum/JR Binding inconsistencies!!

Better to this get moved to the Horizon/Spektrum support forum???

Dave
Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 AM
cairoman

Last weekend, I had a flight with my SM F15, after which, I powered down the receiver first, then the tranny. I then powerd up the receiver first, then the tranny. The system would not connect regardless of my numerous attempts. I had to go through the whole bind process again to succeed. I also, was using an AR9000 with two remote receivers, capacitor for safety and a powerbox sensor switch with two 2300 MAh lipos.

Chris
Old 02-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Ehab

I wanted to get the jet guys opinoins who may have seen this issue, as you can see already some one has a similar problem. I will contact JR/spektrum later too. Also, May be John Redman can help since he is a jet guys.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 AM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

I had some similar issues with my r921 receivers, narrowed it down to the older style ar 7000 satellite causing the same inconsistant binding, purchased a new satellite and the problem went away. the newer style has the supports for the antennas and works fine, they are also slightly larger. I spoke to horizon and they thought i was nuts until I explained exactly what was happening, this was a long tech phone call. never any problems since using the newer style sats.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 AM
Ehab

BTW, I am using the 9 ch Rx from the spektrum 10X conversion. The red sat rx came off a brand new in the box JR 9303 2.4 set. The other sat Rx came off a DX7, so I guess this may be part of the problem (I wish they mention it on the web sites). May be some one can address the retracts issue later. I'll see if I can get some pics later on...

Just to clarify, I am very excited about using the 2.4 in my jets. I have used it on some of my props and crashed a Gee Bee due to a voltage drop and now we know better. I am still comitted to this system, can't beat not having to worry about a frequency pin or worry about most glitch problems....
Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ehab! How are things in Thailand!? We all miss you in the Bay Area! When you say the red satellite is blinking, did you turn your rx off and then back on with the tx being on? From my understanding, the blinking satellite means a "brown out" condition occurred, which also happens if you turn off your rx power while the tx is on.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Ehab

Hey Dantely; I miss all of you guys too. I'll be seeing you soon.

The blinking red Rx was during the binding process.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello Ehab, welcome to the club. I've experienced the same issues you have. However I've never had the gear cycle on me. I'm using the AR9000 and conversion Tx Modulate for my JR9303. In the beginning I always turned my Rx on just after turning the Tx on. You need to let the Tx be on for a couple of seconds before turning on the Rx. Blinking LED on the second sat was an issue for me and I likely need another one, but I was able to get it to bind with the rest of the system (LED solid). Ocassionally I'll notice the sat will not come on solid at the field, but I just cycle the power and it usually comes on solid. Check to be sure during binding that the gear switch is in the down position and be sure to bind a second time after making any changes. I'd do it a second time even if you didn't do any changes. I found out during some initial binds while testing the system in a prop plane the throttle fail safe didn't travel in the desired direction per the manual. One other thing, if you have the flight log, let us know what you think about how it reports the fades. There are quarks there too. For the record I've flown a lot on the AR9000 and I've never had any issues in the air, and I did notice the latency difference on the first flight with the 2.4. Good luck, Ken
Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Ehab

Yes, I have the flight log. I also had a prolbem with fail safe. The turbine did not shut down and the flaps did not deploy. Again, I may be doing some thing wrong, but I believe I followed the destructions (instructions[8D]) to the letter. Willing to learn anytime[&:]
Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i also encountered your problems once and it was a faulty sattelite.
i replaced it and all was ok again..
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

When Dave Presta first received his Spektrum 10X & 9 chn RX, he was missing a remote. He asked me to pull the remote from my new DX7 to let him borrow that, but before he could even try this Chris Huhn (Horizon / Spektrum) apparently told Dave NOT to do it. Dave told me he was advised that it was better to fly without the extra remote instead of mixing parts. I don't know the exact details/reasoning, but I guess there was some incompatability betwenn the remote s(?).

The above is all second-hand info, so understand that there may be some misinterpretation in there somewhere.

Note that this was when the 9ch system was absolutely brand new, and mine was a 1st-generation DX7, so it was a little while ago ... even if there was an issue then with compatability it is possible that the newer systems don't have such an issue. Probably worth checking with Horizon just to be safe.

Gordon
Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

When Dave Presta first received his Spektrum 10X & 9 chn RX, he was missing a remote. He asked me to pull the remote from my new DX7 to let him borrow that, but before he could even try this Chris Huhn (Horizon / Spektrum) apparently told Dave NOT to do it. Dave told me he was advised that it was better to fly without the extra remote instead of mixing parts. I don't know the exact details/reasoning, but I guess there was some incompatability betwenn the remote s(?).

The above is all second-hand info, so understand that there may be some misinterpretation in there somewhere.

Note that this was when the 9ch system was absolutely brand new, and mine was a 1st-generation DX7, so it was a little while ago ... even if there was an issue then with compatability it is possible that the newer systems don't have such an issue. Probably worth checking with Horizon just to be safe.

Gordon

not to my knowledge however it is safe to rebind after swapping a sattelite.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ehab,
If you are running a jetcat the throttle travel has to be reset at 75% and learned on the ecu after you bind it at 100% with the spektrum module conversion. When you turn off the tx with the motor running it will kill the turbine. There is also a little "F" that comes up in the GSU display to indicate falisafe is set.
V..
Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Vincent, is this ECU learning at 75 % just for the conversion module versions , or for all JR spectrum systems. I am finishing my jet with a Jetcat P-70 and have not set up the failsafe yet On my new JR x9303 system. Thanks, Jack.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:33 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Uh...I'm using JR921 receivers with one red remote and one Spektrum 9000 remote receiver (SPM9545). I was told this was fine a couple of weeks ago.

Is this not the case?

Beave

Old 02-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Jack,
I believe the 9303 2.4 is set at 50% throttle.
V..
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM
bevar

Anyone? Anyone?

ORIGINAL: bevar

Uh...I'm using JR921 receivers with one red remote and one Spektrum 9000 remote receiver (SPM9545). I was told this was fine a couple of weeks ago.

Is this not the case?

Beave

Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: Ehab

Yes, I have the flight log. I also had a prolbem with fail safe. The turbine did not shut down and the flaps did not deploy. Again, I may be doing some thing wrong, but I believe I followed the destructions (instructions[8D]) to the letter. Willing to learn anytime[&:]

Sounds like you need a little "MAGIC McFINGERS McBRIDE" to do a little programming for you sonny!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 PM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: Ehab

Also, after binding, the retract gear cycles up and down upon power up! I know there was a JR/spektrum note about that issue, but I can't find it any more on their websites.

thanks in advance!
I believe this means you bound it (and therefore set the startup failsafe) with the gear up, and you are powering up the system with the gear down.

The system is doing exactly what it has be told to do.... Raise gear on power on.... establish link with Tx.... Lower the gear per Tx command.

Re-bind with the gear down.

David
Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 PM
bevar

Anyone? Anyone?

Is this not the case?

Beave

Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I've been setting up my jets with a new 2.4 system and found that I need to bind AGAIN after I get it all set up. I had the problem with the gear after initial binding then after all set up and a second bind in the failsafe positions the gear glitch went away.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Ehab

Anyone? Anyone?

From the previous comments here, it MAY not be compatible. But remember, I was getting a blinking light on the red rx after binding. Are you binding properly?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Ehab

ORIGINAL: dribbe

I believe this means you bound it (and therefore set the startup failsafe) with the gear up, and you are powering up the system with the gear down.

The system is doing exactly what it has be told to do.... Raise gear on power on.... establish link with Tx.... Lower the gear per Tx command.

Re-bind with the gear down.

David
I actually binded with the: gear down, flaps half deployed, speed brake down, neutral controls, engine off. After bindindg, I got: Last command, engine on.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Ehab

Just to add to "MY" confusion; I tried a brand new JR 9303 2.4 Rx and sat. Rx (red plastic) with my 10X Spektrum 2.4 Tx and I tried to bind the system. After what seems successful binding, I powered up the system and the ailerons went into extreme deflections and I had no response from the system at all. I must be doing something wrong [:@]. It looks like the JR 12X delivery has been pushed to June'08.....hence I am going to try the fut 14ch 2.4 conversion soon and compare notes...

Again, I am NOT complaining about the product, just looking for answers to be able to fly the jet.

Edited for content.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.