Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
42.14%
No
37.99%
Who cares
19.87%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

ORIGINAL: WhoDaMan

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Beware the law of unintended consequences. Maybe someone will decide that it is wrong for turbines and foamies etc to share the same airspace, and you will find your turbines banned from your local flying club.

There was a very enlightening thread in one of the other forums (clubhouse ?) a while ago. IIRC, it went something like this : some guy arrived at the club field with his $150 model, and turned on without getting the pin. He shot down an expensive turbine model. He said "sorry, but I don't have the funds to replace your expensive toy, otherwise I wouldn't be limited to flying cheap crap like I am." That thread got very heated, with huge numbers of people defending that guy's attitude and a whole groundwell of scared people saying "I can't afford to replace stuff like that either - we should ban them from our club so that we don't have to live in fear of persecution like this."

So, when it comes to separating the high dollar stuff from the cheaper stuff, don't be surprised if the hihg dollar stuff just gets evicted.

Gordon
Hi Gordon:
Good to hear from you, As I am reading this post, is it me or, it always comes down to the turbines being the problem, why is it that they are the ones that should always be banned.
Hi Dave,

It isn't that the turbines are the problem - it's that we are in the minority and so if we do anything to make it to come down to an us vs them kinda decision then we should fully expect that it's us that lose out.

Gordon
Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

So I guess if we were to go away there would be a many of company's that would go with us.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:33 PM
pappy35

I'm not suggesting we ban them though if something like this happened and one guy looses a $40k jet AND then tried to get the other guy to pay, there would be anarchy. If I tried to pass a liability-limiting waiver, EVERYONE would have to sign it, not one group or another. There's so much money involved in some of these toys you gotta believe someone somewhere would try to pry the cash from someone.

Before I get dog-piled...I know there are going to be outlier cases where something is done on purpose or whatever. I'm referring to a scenario where two are following the rules and BAM! In that case, if the high-dollar guy goes after the low-dollar guy, that's where there'd be trouble.

Gordon hit it right on...those in the minority typically loose so it's best to try to be as considerate as possible.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:44 PM
WhoDaMan

Yep, just like what the guy tried to do to Tam, All I am saying is that of course stuff happens, and will continue to, just be as safe as you can and do the best to work with the flyers and respect each other. Many good ideas come from discussions like this and there is no need but to learn from others misfortunes.

Dave
Old 03-09-2008, 02:59 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say that without the foamies flying at Florida Jets there wouldn't have been much action going on. I would think that it would be up to the organizers of the event to stipulate what was acceptable, to foam or not to. I think a lot slid because of the weather this year that wouldn't ordinarily happen.

With how few jets/foamies that were in the air, I'm surprised that one didn't wait on the other. Of course, I had left before this had happened so I don't know the circumstances. I know that we we're getting ready to fly the flash and the lightning together when Ali's group with the citation was also getting ready to go. We told them to go ahead and we'd wait for a bit to be able to watch them. It was pretty rare on friday/saturday to see more than a couple of jets in the air at the same time or even a turbine in the air.... A lot of the intermission time was smoothed out with the foamies...
Old 03-09-2008, 03:22 PM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

If someone out there wants to apologize for flying and liking jet models go ahead I’m not.
As for as minority keep your head down and be ashamed I’m not.
Jets have brought more people to the field, shows than and other type.
Not to mention the giant publicity jets give to AMA and model aviation.
Liability not hardly. A benefit and popular addition to model aviation.

Les and I were flying his F15 yesterday with a small foam aircraft in the same airspace no problem. Even though he was hovering dead center over the runway (most of the time), at about 25-30 feet we just spotted around him. Nothing is said because it’s his field too. This thread wasn’t meant cause grief.

Maybe Stinkin is to strong. Maybe I should say fragrantly challenged foamys.

David
Old 03-09-2008, 03:36 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Personaly, I dont think its a cost issue, but a common sense issue. Who was up in the air flying first? If Im the foamie guy and I see that theres a few jets in the air that are fellow jet pilots, being a jet pilot, I would not fly my foamie. If I was the jet pilot and seen foamies flying, I wouldnt fly my jet. At the local field, if theres flip flops, 3D prop, or foamies...I dont fly until they come down. Personaly I dont think foamies belong at a Jet show because in my opinion, they do not qualify as a jet. It is the exact same reason the helicopters are kept away from fixed wing...why??... because they have totally different flying characteristics such as speed, turn radius, etc etc. Not to mention that they cannot keep the same pattern size due to the size of the foamie. Again, common sense is the name of this game. Foamie shouldnt have gone up in my opinion if the jets were up or, jet should not have gone up if foamies were buzzing around. Some people just dont care either, much easier for a foamie owner to make a bad desicion about going up than a person with a 40K airplane...why??...because the foamie owner probably has 2 or 3 more in the car ready to fly and if it goes down...well who cares...bring out the other one while the Mig pilot is in some pain...no matter if they can afford it or not. Who knows, who knows....Mig guy could have been desperate to fly too....it happens.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:49 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

When you take your airplane in the air, YOU, yes YOU the pilot, are responsible to not hit ANYTHING!!

The ground, other aircraft, birds, people, anything that goes under the ANYTHING category, less three things, YOU are NOT allowed to hit. The three things YOU are ALLOWED to hit are: 1. Invisible air molecules 2. Low lying clouds 3. Residual smoke from another aircraft.

That's it. And yes, I was voted in as "God" just today by the AMA, thank you very much!

If some jack hole is not flying the pattern, then, yes, YOU are responsible for not hitting him. How can I say such a thing????

1. Watch were your airplane is going (A spotter is handy here)
2. Fly defensively (When I'm up, I fly like I ride my motorcycle, EVERYONE is just DYING to hit me.)
3. Yell to ALL the pilots to please fly the pattern when other airplanes are up or please announce their intentions.

If we ALL had these tendancies, then midair's would become even more rare than they already are.

Wow, is this how Gordon feels when he posts??

Raf
Old 03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
ravill

I think in combat your are supposed to hit a streamer, oops that makes it 4th thing YOU are ALLOWED to hit!

So much for my "God" status!!

Raf
Old 03-09-2008, 04:53 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

ORIGINAL: bbagle1

Does someone actually think that putting more money into your plane gives you the right to own the sky? Chances are if there is a mid air between a foamie and a turbine both flying the pattern the turbine is at fault. Chances are he came up on the foamie and did not avoid him.
I'm guessing that bbagle1 has no turbine flying experience....

I'm hoping David was joking when he posted this poll. Everyone has a right to fly, and aircraft cost has no bearing on that "right". But as has been mentioned already there are significant challenges when mixing models of greatly differing performance. This is why a good, experienced spotter is, IMHO, a critical requirement when flying in these circumstances.

In my case, I try to be considerate and avoid 'hogging' all the airspace, and usually fly in the afternoon when my club field is less crowded. At the same time, there ARE always some boneheads that fly in unpredictable ways that make it almost impossible to "see and avoid" when you are moving at 160+ and they are at 35 and all over the place. [:@] The foamie jocks (and I have a couple myself) are just as responsible for avoiding a conflict as the turbine fliers.

I feel for the Mig pilot at FJ2008, but since I was not there and am not up on all the facts, I'm not going to comment.

Barry

DITTO.....
Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
WhoDaMan

EVERYONE listen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, RAF, has spoken
Old 03-09-2008, 05:37 PM
ravill

I just re-read my post using Sydney Portier's voice in my head.... I scared myself! [sm=what_smile.gif]

Raf
Old 03-09-2008, 05:40 PM
WhoDaMan

You need a hot chocolate and a nap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72209.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	899302  
Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

in regards to your post #42 i am curious to know which club you are a vp of and if you are taking medication or not??????????

love to see your banning of jets motion or special liability---see ama charter !
Old 03-09-2008, 06:56 PM
pappy35

HAWKS in Hamilton OH. I don't appreciate the attitude.

My point is I'm concerned about what happens when a $40k jet is taken out by a $300 foamie. Specifically, does that jet guy expect the foamie guy to cough-up $40k (assuming there was no malicious intent)? If yes, then I want to know, I want all our members to know, and then see if we should set-up special rules to address the issue. I regret the use of the word 'ban' so calm down.

I said in post 50-something that I meant a liability waiver would apply to everyone, not just one specific group. 42% Extra, Giant Scale Warbird, Jet, whatever. If there's an accident involving a high-dollar aircraft and, say, some trainer (again, this excludes malicious intent) and the guy with the bucks to burn goes after the guy that can barely afford a trainier then I would really worry about how to protect the guy.

All the various groups in our club play very well together and forunately we don't have those issues.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:01 PM
smokin-gun

i'm sure all the guys in your club will be thrilled with your shooten from the hip.
also isn't that a city field -- i am sure if it is you won't be banning anything---
Old 03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
whaledriver
My Feedback: (154)

Hey Guys,

I was the KingCat owner/pilot and the CD at the event where the mid-air took place last October. Dan Avilla was my spotter.

The foamy (EFlite 777) had been flying a much smaller pattern and was doing some 3-D stuff when he was up by himself. His flying was being enjoyed by all, so I felt it wasn’t an issue when he was solo. As it turned out, the smaller pattern continued when others were up. I failed to notice this, until it was too late.

While flying, not a minute before the mid-air, Dan mentioned to me that we needed to get the foamy out of the air when others were flying…I don’t think he meant it literally. I was doing a flyby and the foamy turned base to final in front of me. It happened too fast for Dan to warn me. I never thought to challenge the other pilot on payment, none was offered. I shouldn’t be playing with these expensive toys if I can’t afford the lost. BTW, being turned on is a completely different issue. THERE is no EXCUSE for turning on and shooting someone down…PERIOD! If you shoot someone down, you just bought the plane, $100 or $40K.

As a Turbine CD, I will continue to allow foamys during the event, only if they fly the same pattern/ relative speed. No one can argue that the jet meets have certainly become Turbine events. If the electric jets and ducted fans fly the same sized patterns, they will be welcome. But I won’t hesitate to ground someone and return their entry fee if they present a hazard to the other planes. That applies to turbine owners as well.

As far as this survey goes, I felt it was meant for sanctioned Jet events, not for club flying. If the slow/3D jet foamy guys want an event, sanction it, get a CD and club to sponsor it, and have a ball, or just fly during open times.

See ya….
Chris

P.S. KingCat is back in the air. New left wing and boom, oh and somewhere along the way it got a new Titan SE.....
Old 03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
WhoDaMan

Great post Chris, glad to see she is up and flying

Dave
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM
sandslx
My Feedback: (1)

My jets do not leave the tarmac untill the foamies are done. Fomies should be left at the soccer field, baseball field, dog park, back yard, ect. I would not have a problem with them if they could get up and at least "JOIN THE PATTERN" at around 120-150 mph, then we are not in competition for the same air space. It is not a matter of how good a stick a fomie flyer is...its a matter of speed. They are a hazard and should only come out at the end of the day, when turbine operations are over.

Justin Sands
Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 PM
pappy35

Mr. Kerr,
The club 'pays' me to watch out for their interests and additionally, there's no call for your attitude. I PM'd you my phone number, please feel free to call me rather than taking cheap shots here. If you can't make constructive comments, why make them at all?

Chris,
Great post. What's better, pattern size or speed, to judge whether a plane can fly? I would think that 60mph vs 150mph planes are just fundamentally incompatible.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:29 PM
smokin-gun

ORIGINAL: pappy35

I just read FJ2008 thread. Wow! That was a beautiful Mig. $40K??? Oh man! So the theory is that the bits of the foamie FOD'd the engines? Hmmm... $40K? What? The guy couldn't afford FOD screens?

Gorden brings up a great point for discussion: Does anyone think the Mig owner expects reimbursement? That's a HUGE (I think INSANE) amount of coin to loose. I'm the VP of my club and if I find out the poor guy with the foamie gets sued I'm gonna go straight to the club with a motion to ban jets or make them sign waivers of liability in order to fly.

That really does make it a no-brainer that that class of electric model not be allowed at jet rallys.
don't care for a power hungry vp making threats that affect jet flyers.
and you are not even a jet flyer , but just trolling the jet forum and talking pooh and stirring it up . maybe use or extra time to be a positive instead of making idle threats that are unwarranted!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM
whaledriver
My Feedback: (154)

Pappy35,

I would vote for pattern size. I'm happy to adjust my pattern size to work in slower/faster jets. It's all relative. To BVM Bandit or Flash, 150 mph is slow, to my MIG, 80 mph is slow? The key is communication and letting other folks know what your doing, one on one or via spotter.

Another issue, at the mid-air event, that I let happen was, the foamy pilot was not at a pilot station. Shame on me. He was at the far end of the runway, where comms couldn't happen. I've seen this happen at other events as well.

See ya....
Chris
Old 03-09-2008, 07:44 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: ravill

When you take your airplane in the air, YOU, yes YOU the pilot, are responsible to not hit ANYTHING!!

The ground, other aircraft, birds, people, anything that goes under the ANYTHING category, less three things, YOU are NOT allowed to hit. The three things YOU are ALLOWED to hit are: 1. Invisible air molecules 2. Low lying clouds 3. Residual smoke from another aircraft.

That's it. And yes, I was voted in as "God" just today by the AMA, thank you very much!

If some jack hole is not flying the pattern, then, yes, YOU are responsible for not hitting him. How can I say such a thing????

1. Watch were your airplane is going (A spotter is handy here)
2. Fly defensively (When I'm up, I fly like I ride my motorcycle, EVERYONE is just DYING to hit me.)
3. Yell to ALL the pilots to please fly the pattern when other airplanes are up or please announce their intentions.

If we ALL had these tendancies, then midair's would become even more rare than they already are.

Wow, is this how Gordon feels when he posts??

Raf

DOUBLE DITTO!!!!!!!!!! This one is classic!!! It will probably be 50 pages long by morning... Keep going armchair politicians...
Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 PM
pappy35

I see what you mean. Tough call. If the guy wasn't at a station that a disaster waiting to happen.

We're putting on a jet rally this summer and I'll make sure to mention this to the CD. I'm all for inclusiveness in a meet as long as it can be done in a safe way.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 PM
mfallon

From the spotter of the foamy if we didn't fly Friday and Saturday there would have not been much of a show at all, the foamy was flying for the benefit of the show. It was put together at the show for the sole perpose of giving the paying spectators some thing to watch It takes as much skill to fly a foamy that weigh 26 oz in 25 not wind than a stable 70lbs + turbine.

On another note foamy was on final approach cleared from flight line coordinator for landing was trying to give way to the Mig 29 that had just taken off foamy was flying the landing approach and AMA rule no flying over runway unless landing or taking off I think the mig 29 had a spotter that didn't get that info or just didn't see it just because of the big coast differences in jets does not change the fact the foamy had the right of way and the mig should have been flying by the rules regardless. If not foamy and jet of equal size we all would be worried about how the hurt spectators are doing. (Thank God it was a foamy.)

Accidents happen the $200.00 foamy was actually $184.99

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.